1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kansas: A Conservative Utopia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Just came back from a family event in Nebraska, and had a chance to talk my KC, KS relatives. They essentially think Brownback is a moron, yet I didn't hear anything about it being a wasteland. The Midwest, outside of Chicago, is anything but a wasteland.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

As opposed to the Koch Brothers who funded primary challenges to half of the Republican caucus in Kansas.

Give me a break. I'm fairly certain you didn't complain in 2010 and 2012 when Kansas Republicans were wiped out by tea party challengers.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

More fuel for the Brownback Truthers like @Mr. Clutch and @Steve_Francis_rules - Brownback manages to avert Kansas' ongoing self-inflicted fiscal death spiral by....refusing to report economic numbers on it anymore:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-10-24/kansas-ends-bad-economic-news-by-not-reporting-it

4. SamFisher

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

They are going to lose such a fine governor in 2020, so sad.

7. SamFisher

Looks like Brownback is somehow less popular than Chris Christie. That's kind of incredible, adjusting for the rightward lean of KS vs. the leftward one of NJ.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I mean, I love this narrative, of course, and Cali is doing pretty well economically, yes, but I would bet that data kind of mirrors, say, a 1990 to 2007 trend that was already happening before the panic and crumble of 2008-2011, right? I mean, were Kansas and California on the same trend lines before Brownback turned the Stupid knob to 11?

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Valid question.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

but, but, but, but it cannot be true. conservative primitive econ 101 as propagated far and wide is like the law of gravity. It is science for God's sake!!, Sam. If Brownback had just hung on longer we would have Kansas City Kansas replacing the declining high tax hell holes of San Francisco and NYC as the true great metropolitan area. The next thing you will be telling the Trumpsters and the conservative/ "libertarians" that trickle down might not happen when they know as beklievers in science that patiently hanging on longer for the tax cuts to folks above them to finally trickle down with payoff greatly for them and for all Americans. Perhaps the latest tax breaks for the higher income folks proposed by Trump will the final step to unleashing the trickle down bonanza on America.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If you loved the Kansas Conservative Utopia get ready for the federal version from our own buffoon-in-chief.

CometsWin likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/opinions/kansas-warns-washington-opinion-grissom/index.html

A Warning to Washington from Kansas

calurker, R0ckets03, Amiga and 2 others like this.
  14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Back when this news broke I came here first to see the talking points from the right... nothing.

It turns out everybody loves tax breaks, but it turns out republican voters in Kansas like public services. They voted out the hard liners and the moderates have raised taxes, because that's what the voters wanted.

This looks really bad for the supply-side orthodoxy. Come on, usual suspects! Rain down some talking points about why this is an exception and not a condemnation of trickle down.

peleincubus and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Something something Venezuela something.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

TRICKLE DOWN doesn't work, it is a failed policy.

DD

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'll said it. Didn't give it enough time and thus a chance for it to work. Need about a decade worth of suffering to see the fruits of it.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

peleincubus and R0ckets03 like this.
  20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I read about the HIRE ACT in 2010 and it was something done temporarily to restore jobs lost in the recession. Does anyone know why this can't be expanded permanently as a way of cutting taxes after companies employee certain amount of employees?