1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander shut down 'a couple of weeks' with forearm strain

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 26, 2020.

1. raining threes

Don't forget Bielak as a Peacock type option among the young starting pitchers

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think you're correct. If I were Springer I would not want to be apart of the Astros where I would get booed and heckled at every ballpark in MLB. Once you go to a new team it seems that all is forgiven. It would be a fresh start on a new team, and a chance to rebuild your image.

I just hope the owner and new GM recognize what's going to happen before it's too late and they all walk for nothing.

If all of the old players are gone they won't have anyone left to heckle and boo.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

F this attitude. Anyone that actually played on 2017 WS Team brought this city a WS Championship. For their troubles, they've gotten death threats and harrassment. If they want to leave, let them. If they stay, cheer them more. They've earned it. Fans that get their panties in wad because players don't want to receive death threats are being mean.

Astros players that cheated deserve some punishment for cheating.

#163 Joe Joe, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Im torn on this. I think it could also be a reason to stay , will other teams pay up for players with that stain ?

Also , fans are vicious. The entire team could have been suspended and teams and fans would still be heckling our AAA players non-stop

raining threes likes this.
  5. msn

msn Member

Your opinion is duly noted. As far as I'm concerned, if they run off because they can't bear the heat they made, F them.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I am more skeptical of him but he very well may turn out that good.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros allowed and subsidized the cheating so they deserve the stain as well as the World Series. The players lived up to their contracts by winning the World Series. The players have been punished enough, and should not be treated like property because they made a mistake.

It is duly noted that you believe media, Manfred, Fiers, and players that decide to leave are to blame, but not Luhnow, Hinch, and players that decide to stay.

8. Buck Turgidson

I would like to point out that this is all fan-speculative bullsh!t at this point (not you in particular, I've heard it elsewhere...that the Stros just don't care enough this year, or they're sad because they miss the trash can, or other theories...)

And if someone leaves this offseason it's not an indictment of their heart and grittyness, maybe they just got more money.

NIKEstrad, raining threes and msn like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

He's Chris Holt Stuff but with brains and balls...if that holds up. Can't ask for more from a 5th starter type.

Of course the league could figure him out and he'll bounce around teams for a few years.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

And they can elude the booing and torment (punishment) by simply going to another team. But I do think if a guy with value is going to leave, we should try to get something for him before that happens.

11. msn

msn Member

Fair. The frustration is real, though. We finally get a WS, but the team cheated (and didn't need to). Even though it's clear that half the league was also cheating, every other city is fine too believe the media BS and pretend like Houston doesn't deserve its only WS banner.

And by the time the **** could begin to blow over, most of the good players are gone because of economics.

12. Buck Turgidson

Oh yay verily does it suck. I'll really care again when the games matter again.

13. msn

msn Member

What a fascinating, and inaccurate, representation of my opinion. They are all responsible.

14. Major

Major Member

It's not really clear if they needed to or not. We have no idea if they would have won the World Series had they not cheated.

If you have evidence of this, you should publish it in detail like all the evidence that came out about the Astros (videos confirming the banging, etc). Until then, it seems to be pure speculation.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If their play makes us frustrated, then the games must matter, to us anyway. For me, I wouldn't be posting in this forum otherwise.

TWS1986, raining threes and msn like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

If the options are watching baseball and not watching baseball...I'll take the former. That's all it is to me, just new entertainment.

raining threes and TWS1986 like this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While important, I am sure not carrying around any World Series fervor this year. At this point, I may go a few games without watching and see how they do in my absence.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Oh no, no fervor. This season is a joke and I can't get worked up about it.

It's sure more fun when the Stros win...but in the long run, win or lose, meh.

TWS1986 likes this.
  19. msn

msn Member

A couple of published statistical studies, most notably in the Los Angeles Times, state otherwise.

I would, but that would be redundant. There's video evidence of the Yankees cheating, and testimonial evidence from MLB players of at least some other teams.

20. Nook

Nook Member

It just doesn’t feel like baseball... I appreciate it as a distraction and am rooting for the youngsters... but no Spring Training, no fans... umpires really not calling good games.... teams putting a dozen guys on the DL... no minors... weird rules... and missing a lot of key guys.... hell if I am a pitcher, I am worried about injury.

msn, htwnbandit, TWS1986 and 3 others like this.