1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Reid really wants Texans to sign his big brother

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, May 8, 2020.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This would be a good move image wise for the Texans in relation to the players around the league. It could even help boost the lie that the Hopkins deal was all about money into it kind of really looking like it was about money too. That's if they signed Eric Reid. Not to mention it improves the secondary.

joshuaao and Two Sandwiches like this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yeah... Not happening!

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

BOB and any player that speaks his mind will not go well. Justin should recommend that Eric goes to another team in hopes that one day he'll join him.

juanm34 likes this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

That would be pretty cool

noscrusir likes this.
  6. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Didn’t Kenny Stills kneel for the anthem? O’Brien seems to like Stills so the narrative of it’s O’Brien’s way or no way isn’t all that true.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Shhh...you ruin the narrative on this board.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Would be awesome. Which means BoB won’t do it.

Fulgore likes this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Rather have these two over earl thomas and his brother.

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

dave Thomas?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

And the crowd yells:

Eric Reid!!! Eric Reid!!!

12. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

It makes so much sense to sign him, makes his little brother happy (arguably our best defensive player) and we need a safety

why it hasn’t been done already is beyond me

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Probably because Reid wasn’t good last season. Not to mention he’s fighting the league once again. Right or wrong, teams just might not think he’s worth the hassle. Or might think he’s just not that good.

Safety - Eric Reid (45.6) had the single worst individual rating among defensive players. Yes, his 130 total tackles are impressive, but he got absolutely smoked in coverage. Reid’s 48 receptions allowed were third most among all safeties, per PFF.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...hers-defensive-players-per-pro-football-focus

#13 gucci888, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I was wondering if this was a scheme or use mismatch for Eric. Did a little digging to see if he could be a hybrid guy (LB/S) because sure tacklers are always a good thing to have. Also went back to check his speed, which was the best for his position group (4.53) when he came out in the combine. I found this article https://www.pff.com/news/pro-49ers-move-eric-reid-to-linebacker

Suggests that 49ers Def Coach Robert Saleh experimented with Eric at LBer. While he didn't do well initially, the article appears to show in Weeks 6/7 of 2017 he had some pretty good success (82.7 PFF score). While this is a limited sample size, it might suggest if he added a little weight his best position might be as a weak side LB.

With that as a backdrop, I'm not sure he's a good fit for our defense with one big caveat we don't know how Dream Weaver will deploy his defensive assets. If we could sign ER at near the vet min on a 1-yr deal, then it seems like a low risk addition.

For what its worth, I'm enamored with the idea of hybrid defenders. After Kelce ate us alive in the playoffs and with our previous problems with RBs in passing game, I believe we need defenders that can cover larger targets are essential to deal with elite teams (esp in the playoffs).

raining threes and gucci888 like this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If dude can't cover a TE, I'm out I don't care who his brother is. We need ball players.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Are you serious? The guy is GM, HC & OC.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the fact that he isn't good means he's even more likely to perform a kneeling-type stunt in response to criticism

don't need that kind of distraction

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You mean you weren’t on board with putting a rookie CB in charge of covering the best TE in the league in an elimination game?

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yes, that would be an accurate assertion from my comment--LOL! I'm happy to see Lonnie is working on his footwork during the off season, but that was a great example of how scheme was not well matched to a player's ability. On paper, Lonnie probably looked like a great match-up because of his size and CB skills, however, in execution that wasn't the case. Kelce is a special weapon/nightmare to plan against. I would have probably had to sacrificed Reid to try and make Kelce less of a factor, but who knows if that would have made much difference.

#19 Shark44, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  20. Buck Turgidson

Yep, that's the only reason you'd sign him.