1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Altuve nearing 5-year, $150-million extension

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Mar 16, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Great, there is no reason we would want to trade away the GOAT Astro. More importantly, I just hope there is no opt-out clause.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He literally loves Houston and Houston literally loves him back. He wants to go nowhere and now its official.

the shark likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That means he wants to be here.

6. tmacfor35

And with this, your chance retaining Correa and Bregman is highly likely.

BMoney likes this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Franchise players usually get $200 million or more, Great job by the Astros, it sends a message to the whole team.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They aren't gonna take some big pay cut just because Altuve will be here.

9. Marteen

Marteen Member

Anyone else notice that Jeff Luhnow almost forgot Bagwell was inducted in the HoF with Baggy in attendance? lol

10. tmacfor35

You have to believe they might to keep the core together and get paid quicker.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Correa is young enough that you might be able to buy out a year or 2 by paying him early, but he has a lot of productive years. If they were to do like they did with Altuve and give him 30 million for his prime years and paying off team controlled years without going past 34 it would require about 270 million dollars...to start negotiations.

Unlike Altuve, Correa is very much a brand minded player, I don't see him doing us any favors.

Bregman..maybe, a lot of road to travel yet with him in terms of on field performance.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Astros would be probably willing to pay Correa the market rate/year... if he doesn't lock them into too many post-prime years.

I also see the team Correa brand being fully entrenched and visible throughout his tenure with the Astros... its not as if he'd have to go to another market simply just to become a household name.... winning does a lot of that for you.

13. Buck Turgidson

Not just because, but it can't really hurt.

Keep the Band Together and all that. The money will figure it all out one way or another for all of those guys.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

All comes down to what Correa is willing to accept. Altuve's deal got done because of Altuve. Astros are taking a risk that he doesn't have a significant injury/significant decrease in talent, but if he doesn't, Altuve is still going to be one of the most underpaid post-Arb players.

I don't see a problem with post-prime years as long as their reduced value is accounted. Most teams would prefer to defer some money from prime years to post-prime years to be able to afford more help during their franchise player's prime. Some teams like post-prime years to help them game the luxury tax calculation.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's some 4th level higher thinking right there... Clyde Drexler, is that you??? ;)

But, I get what you're saying. I just think that the way these deals are being done/structured are changing. Teams see contracts like Giancarlo Stanton's and Cano's and realize that unless you're either the Yankees, or a prime contender, you're not going to get your money's worth over the entirety of the deal. Players (and their agents) are also seeing that, and it may sway them to get more of the money up front in the early years, and leave them flexibility to re-sign sooner.

Correa is so young that he probably has enough prime years to sign two big deals. Sorta like what Pujols was able to do after making his debut at age 21. I could see one being signed with the Astros, that likely includes some late arb years, and then he hits the open market a few years beyond what he would have been as a free agent.

Like I said earlier, by the time Correa is a free agent (extension or no extension), he's already projected to be one of the game's biggest stars on a team that could/should win a lot.... the spotlight of playing in a huge market (which at this point, is really only LA and NY) may not be the driving force it once was. His brand is already going to be entrenched... certainly, if he's dead-set on leaving, he'll leave, but there's a career worth of years left before he has to decide that.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Very interesting details on this deal.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

I think he was just listing the accomplishments in order.

Marteen likes this.
  18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Altuve wants Houston, Boras wants $. I truly believe knowing Boras, he wants Altuve to test the market because he would take $$$$$ over loyalty.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Uh.....what? Altuve can't test the market for seven years.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Huh? The contract is signed and he's here at least until he's 34.