1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe McKnight killed in shooting

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 1, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Former USC running back, played briefly in the NFL.

A shooting in Terrytown Thursday afternoon (Dec. 1) left a man dead after an argument at an intersection, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

Family members at the scene identified the victim as Joe McKnight, former NFL player and local high school football standout. McKnight, who went to John Curtis Christian School in River Ridge, played for the New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs.

The shooting, reported about 3 p.m., occurred at the intersection of Behrman Highway and Holmes Boulevard.

A witness, who declined to give her name, said she was leaving a store in the area when she saw a man at the intersection yelling at another man, who was trying to apologize. The man who was yelling shot the other man more than once, she said.

She said the shooter shot the man, stood over him and said "I told you don't you f--- with me." Then he fired again, she said.

The victim's body was on Behrman Highway, surrounded by a shield.​

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Terrible. Rip Joe

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

road rage in Louisiana again

and it's an old white guy who did it, not good

#3 tinman, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Holy ****, man, This ******* needs to rot in prison for the rest of his life. How can somebody have that much rage in them?? RIP Joe. :(

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what??

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

white privilege

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

So there are eyewitnesses to the murder and the guy hands the police the presumed murder weapon and no charges are filed?

9. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Wtf... I don't understand this story

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

New Orleans is a shithole.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

let's get all the facts, before judging anybody, folks.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Starts around 24 minute mark

Sherriff Normand
    :
    We had an incident occur yesterday as it relates to a situation that started as a road rage that began on the Greater New Orleans bridge. ... We've validated that through witnesses & Mr. Gasser's statement. We also know that Mr. Gasser at that location admitted to shooting Joe McKnight Jr. As a result of that, we have begun this investigation.

First, out of fairness & equity to the life Joe McKnight Jr lived as well as the life Ronald Gasser lives, this investigation will not be moved, influenced, coerced or changed in any way by any external force, comments or otherwise. I can't control what's on the social networks. If we want to continue to be silly, that's fine. What I can control is when people in the community decide to demonstrate, that they do so peacefully & in accordance with the code of ordinances of Jefferson Parrish & laws of the State of Louisiana. If not, they will be arrested & put in jail. If we're truly worried about fairness to all parties involved, they'll allow the investigation to proceed in the the deliberate & credible manner that it should & will be conducted in that fashion. Let me make that perfectly clear from the get go. Let me also state that we won't reveal at this point in time any of the details of this investigation. Why? There are still witnesses that we are looking for. I don't want to be accused of tainting this investigation or suggesting a story to witnesses we haven't located or talked to. Simply put, that is the appropriate thing to do.

The speed, the time frame in which we get to a conclusion is of no moment. Everyone should pause & reflect & recognize that a rush to judgement does not equal anything. In the criminal justice process, if you do not dot every I and cross every T and there are deficiencies, it has dire consequences. Out of abundance of caution & respect to Mr. McKnight & Mr. Ronald Gasser, that's the way it has to be. It can be no other way. In fact, to belabor this point even more, we just finished the autopsy roughly 2 hours ago, which is an important portion of the investigation & it would be completely premature in this case to reveal anything prior to that. In fact, they are still reviewing their results.

I can't help but comment when listening to radio & on social networks, anytime a statement starts with "I feel...", you're often running on a very dangerous trail. Any story other than the story you hear from me, the coroner or DA should not be believed. Our story is gonna start with "The evidence suggest...", "The evidence reveals..." or "The evidence is...". So again, I would ask the community to pause & reflect. When you start with "I feel...", that is a slippery slope. Your feelings, my feelings, his feelings are of no moment. They don't matter. It's what "The evidence suggests, reveals & is", simply put. I would strongly suggest you stop believing what you're reading.

A couple of things I've been made aware of to put to rest:

Mr. Gasser did not stand over Mr. McKnight & fire shots into him. The 3 casings were located within the vehicle. Mr. Gasser was in his vehicle when he fired 3 shots. So that did not happen. That witness account & we talked to that witness, is factually incorrect. It did not happen. There is no video we've recovered at this point. That does not exist either. We have no witness account of an apology being made by Mr. McKnight to Mr. Gasser. That did not occur. I'm sure by the time we finish this press conference, there will now be new iterations of this story now that I've dispelled those three. I again caution you to only believe the story from me, the DA or coroner. None of that is true.

I've already been accused of dropping the ball & doing this & doing that because we released Mr. Gasser last evening after we took his statement. As I said before, external influences will not motivate this office one way or the other as to how we'll conduct this investigation strategically. Because there are still witnesses out there, I can't go into detail as to why that is. I can't wait for that moment so I can set the record straight. We will leave no stone unturned. We've had 30-40 officers working this through the night & we'll continue to work this. In the end, the community's interest is larger than any individual's interest. The fairness & equity of the community outweighs any individual.

To the protesters out front [who asked us to block the Westbank Expressway], that is not gonna happen. In 20 minutes, you will be given a command to not obstruct the main travel portion of the Westbank Expressway. If you continue to do so, you will go to jail. You have every right to peacefully demonstrate on the property between the fence & highway but you will not be allowed to obstruct the traveling public in Jefferson Parrish & we will not portion off the highway for purposes of demonstration. It will not happen. It's not what we do. So we're clear, you will abide by the ordinance of Jefferson Parrish & state law of Louisiana. We can do this in an appropriate way. It won't be to the detriment of other citizens of Jefferson Parrish.

What precipitated the chase?

Still trying to put all that together. Preliminarily, it may have been simply cutting one off recklessly while driving on the bridge.

Why if he admitted to shooting him, why was he released?

In this state, there are some relative statutes that provide defenses to certain crimes. When we [as officers] shoot & kill, it's a homicide. Question is, is it justified? As you go through this process & piecing together statements, that's why. Fact of the matter, you're on a slippery slope if you make a rush to judgement. The easiest thing for me would have been book him, right? Fact of the matter is, in trying to flesh out these details, doing this in a deliberate fashion, we chose not to do that. Where that leads us is everyone wants to make this about race. This isn't about race. The gentleman that raised Joe McKnight Jr. used to work for this office. ... This will be done in the appropriate way.

Possible hate crime?

Nothing of any witness that reveals anything to us to suggest that.

Did he have a CHG license?

Still being researched.

Does Gasser have a law enforcement background?

Not that we're aware of.

Gasser is white?

Yes.

Gasser's record?

An issue that's 10 years old. I'm not sure of all the details of that.

Stand your ground law?

It is one of the issues that looms on the horizon as it relates to...I'd rather not opine on that at this time. The difficulty here is we have other witnesses we want to talk to. I don't want to taint their testimony.

Jefferson Parrish Coroner Gerry Cvitanovich:
    I was at the scene yesterday. Autopsy performed this morning. Brief rundown of the wounds:

1. Wound to left hand, graze wound to left knuckle of 3rd finger, entered the index finger.
    2. Entry wound to right shoulder (went into right lung cavity), lodged around the 9th vertebrae.
    3. Right below right nipple. Entered into his chest, into his liver, through his kidney, exited through his right back at the L1 level.

The wounds are not consistent with being shot from above while on the ground.

Matt Sledge (‏@mgsledge)
    • Normand says this was a "road rage" incident that started on Crescent City Connection
    • McKnight was shot twice in chest/torso, according to JPSO release
    • "Mr. Gasser did not stand over Mr. McKnight and fire three shots into him ... That did not happen," Normand says
    • "We have no witness account of an apology being made by Mr. McKnight to Mr. Gasser," Normand continues
    • Coroner now speaking. Says wounds in hand, right shoulder and chest. (Not two as stated in release)
    • Normand says not aware of any connection of Gasser to law enforcement, but that the man who raised McKnight once worked for JPSO

Ramon Antonio Vargas ‏(@RVargasAdvocate)
    • Ronald Gasser admitted shooting Joe McKnight.
    • Normand says no details will be released on investigation because witnesses haven't been interviewed, doesn't want to taint them.
    • Normand says to stop believing what you are reading. 'Mr. Gasser did not stand over Mr. McKnight and fire shots into him.'
    • 'Mr. Gasser was in his vehicle when he fired 3 shots.' 3 shell casings in the car. Witness who said otherwise was factually incorrect.
    • Normand: 'There is no video that we have been able to recover.' No witness account that McKnight was apologizing 2 Gasser when he was killed
    • Coroner: Joe McKnight's 3 gunshots wounds are not consistent with being shot by someone standing over him.
    • McKnight was shot in hand, shoulder and below his chest. A couple of the bullets caused fatal damage to some of his organs, coroner says
    • Asked about a widely circulated rumor, Normand says nothing indicates Gasser has a background in law enforcement.
    • Normand started saying state's stand your ground law 'looms on the horizon' of the investigation, but stops, cites need to avoid making statements that could sway information from witnesses who have not been interviewed
    • Normand ended newser moments before a question about whether any other weapons were found on the scene of McKnight's slaying.

#12 J.R., Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    bigtexxx likes this.
  13. bigtexxx

Glad some of the witness lies have been dispelled. If that had been done in Ferguson (Mike Brown incident), we would have avoided senseless violence.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

didn't stop you from making many premature threads about black men being shot by police not obeying orders. Never came back to those after you were proven wrong.

15. bigtexxx

I was never proven wrong once.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yeah you were. Even right wing posters admitted that your topic was premature. That's why the cop got charged.

17. bigtexxx

Not sure what you're even referring to. I was proven 100% right in the Trayvon Martin thread, that's for sure. I was 100% right from the very beginning. Same as the shameful Ferguson / Mike Brown tragedy that led to senseless violence due to the lies that the witness told (Dorian Johnson) and where the BLM movement took hold - all due to lies (hands up / don't shoot - total lie).

I've been consistently vindicated throughout all these incidents.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm talking about that thread you made about the man who got shot while in his car by the female cop. That female cop got charged and all evidence points to it being a heartless, wrongful killing. You said it was the man's fault that he got killed.

19. bigtexxx

provide a link.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Dont you know Bigtexxx is a proven Bigot? Stop arguing with him. A white person cannot do any wrong in his eyes.