1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick calls Chinese fans racial slur

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsFan2017, Feb 18, 2018.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That sounds fair to me.

All the arguments I was making in this thread presumed he was being sincere. My only point was that if we assume his explanation was sincere, an apology shouldn’t be necessary. Sounds like we are in agreement there.

Whether he was actually sincere or not is an unknown, and remains an unknown even after his second apology response.

Roomba likes this.
  2. Possum

Possum Member

GFY! You are a racist POS!

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Yeah I did agree with you - just trying to draw a distinction between race as a biological entity and race as a cultural/political entity. The latter is a double-edged sword, because racial/cultural identity also breeds racial hierarchy. Just my two cents, certainly not a sociologist.

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

shut up you dumb little dicc

oops I meant 'cool guy'. I can't believe people thought I would say something like that. Don't ask me to apologize. Why should I anyways.

*You don't need to apologize. But it's a common courtesy if your lips slipped and said a bad word. Even if it's an accident, you don't need to but you should apologize. If you stepped on someone's foot you apologize even if it's an accident.it's that simple why is it so hard for you to understand?

5. durvasa

It's not hard to understand at all, and I've already addressed the example of accidental physical contact.

So, you would demand someone to apologize to you if, in your presence, their lips slip and by accident a sound comes out that sounds like a bad word? Them just explaining they weren't actually cursing at you wouldn't be enough? If so, we just differ there.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Who knew that apologizing for calling Chinese people "chinks", whether it was intentional or not, was such a controversial issue? Clutchfans gonna Clutchfans...

7. durvasa

I think I was the only one who had tried to argue that an apology wasn't necessary, mainly to explain why I couldn't see myself personally demanding an apology for such a thing if his initial explanation was sincere. But given the sheer number of people that were bothered by it, regardless of whether it was accidental or not, I have to concede that an apology should be given as a gesture of politeness (and, of course, to safeguard his own public image).

8. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

It's far from certain that it was unintentional. Ultimately only Reddick knows. I myself am not 100% sure either way.

What is clear is that it definitely sounds like he spoke a racial slur. It wasn't a fake or doctored audio.

Let's give him the full benefit of the doubt and say he had no intention, he wasn't even thinking it and it was a true slip of the tongue. But until he explains it, people will think it might have been intentional or a Freudian slip. It's just not the case that it's obvious that it was a true slip.

If he explains it was a slip of the tongue but also acknowledges that it definitely sounds like he spoke a slur and is "sorry" for how it came out, then that is the right thing to do. Most people would consider that an "apology" of sorts.

An apology doesn't mean you admit you had bad intentions (assuming it's actually true you had no bad intentions). Most times it is accidental. But if I bump into someone completely accidentally, it is right to apologize without having to admit you did it purposefully.

In your mind no apology is ever necessary if it was not purposeful and was accidental. I don't think most people should approach things that way.

The only time an apology is completely unnecessary is when the the incident in question didn't happen at all, even accidentally. If I bump into someone accidentally, I should apologize. But if it wasn't me but someone who looked like me, only then is no apology necessary.

#148 celebrevida, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  9. durvasa

I agree with everything you wrote. And, yes, my "defense" was preconditioned on this being a true slip of the tongue -- not purposeful and not a Freudian slip.

I wasn't really trying to say an apology is only necessary for something done on purpose. Being careless, though not purposeful, and ending up hurting someone obviously warrants an apology. @Easy brought up the example of a sneeze. I think an "excuse me" in that case is also entirely warranted and appropriate.

I do see a distinction between accidents that result in someone being physically harmed, and accidents that result in someone hearing a sound that they found offensive on an emotional level. Accidents of the latter category are not a big deal to me, personally. I wouldn't ask someone to apologize to me for something like that. But it was clumsy of me to expect that everyone else needs to see that situation the same way as me. People are sensitive to ugly words to varying degrees. One should be cognizant of that and apologize if the word the listeners heard is ugly enough and jarring enough to them.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is going to be my last post on this issue.

I think whether or not an "offense" warrant an apology should be decided by the offended, not the offender. There are plenty of times when someone says after hearing the other person apologize, "No apology needed. I understand." And that's the end of the story. Of course, there are also times when some petty people demand apology for nitty gritty things. Even then, I'd just say, "Sorry, I did not intend to offend," and move on. No need to escalate the animosity any further.

11. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

He did say chink though. He pronounced the k at the end.

And cool
    Xon Nian Kuai Le
    And how to you pronounce thegood wishes

12. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah I will like an apology. This is how we can make our society better. Either by misspeaking or inadvertently if you offend someone especially racially you are in the wrong and should apologize. It's only an apology in the end, and you learn and then make sure not to repeat the same mistake. We are not talking about going to jail.
    People (tourists) have actually gone to jail because of inadvertently offending a different culture and religion.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least he didn't steal the finger off a Dynasty warrior

also from Philly

14. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

As a public figure he should take the safest possible route. His initial response was available for negative interpretation regardless of any "intent". Assuming he is a saint, it is not going to matter in a public world. The easiest way was to be as apologetic and sincere as possible (even if it's fake). The defensiveness just opened up a whole new avenue for problems. these things can drag on and cause him a lot more trouble than necessary.

My own guess is he surely didn't intend to ever say it, but that it came out way too easy and is probably something he's thrown around privately. But that is wild conjecture and none of us can know either way with any certainty.

tinman likes this.
  15. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Yo on a similar topic, is Timmy Chans considered authentic Chinese food?

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I agree.

This honestly isn't a hard concept to be honest, it's simply being considerate. You literally used an offensive racial slur (accidental or not) for a video that was meant for that same demographic you are addressing to, on their most important cultural/tradition festival.

Simply apologize and move on is literally the smartest thing you could do. It's also the most respectful thing you can do.

Easy likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not sure how this is an 8 page thread.

He started saying one thing: Chinese fans
    But that wasn't how he planned to say it, so switched mid Chinese to: Fans from China

Which resulted in an unfortunate sound.

18. ths balla

ths balla Member

My problem is you shouldn't have to apologize for something because other people interpret it the wrong way or can't see it was a slip up. Dude was getting death threats for what, a slip of the tongue? Really?

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Dafuq?

You don't know the word CHINK is a racial slur???

It's the equivalent of the N-WORD.

Ask any Asian you ignorant TWIT.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't believe you replied to a racial slur with a much worse insult -- escalating derogatory comments is a slippery slope.