1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick calls Chinese fans racial slur

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsFan2017, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

ok ok i forgive him now.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

THIS

3. Houstunna

Supporting Member

A "Tongue Twist" which equated to a perfectly pronounced slur that coincidently matched the topic.

Reality says.. Reddick doesn't like Chinese people (or probably anyone Asian) and that fact tongue-slipped out of his mouth. It probably "slips" in his brain often too.

#183 Houstunna, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. aroundtheblock2

I hope you're joking.

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Joking or hoping my assumptions aren't true ?

The thought isn't far-fetched at all.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is it a coincidence that “Chinese” and “Chink” start with the same four letters?

His explanation is entirely plausible. I generally give people I don’t know the benefit of the doubt for stuff like this.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nope.

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Durvasa, at some point you just gotta admit you're wrong about this subject

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. durvasa

Already admitted where I was wrong.

If anything further you want me to admit, point out the sentence(s) that is/are wrong.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I did.

11. durvasa

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

YallMean likes this.
  13. durvasa

Does a Freudian slip -- versus cutting short saying "Chinese" midway -- make it more likely that he'd make that sound and not immediately notice it? I really don't know.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He didn't cut short saying "Chinese" midway. He said chink. The pronunciation of the first syllable isn't even the same. He said an actual, full word that has a meaning in the English language.

krnxsnoopy likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well if you are a gangster rapper, you might let it slip.

16. durvasa

Really? The pronunciation of the first syllable, if you really want to scrutinize it despite the shoddy recording quality and the music blaring over it, sounds to my ear to more closely resemble "chang" than "chink".

Of course, when a viewer watches the video and the word "chink" shows up on the screen, highlighted in red, it is natural for our brains to process it as "chink". Try to ignore the surrounding words and focus on the sound at that moment with your eyes closed and honestly tell me what you really hear (0:35):

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/jj-redick-calls-chinese-fans-racial-slur.288531/

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You live in some kind of alternate reality.

18. aroundtheblock2

The thought is far-fetched given everything we know about JJ Redick up to this point in his life. All of your assumptions have no factual basis at all, not one single thing. Unless you can specifically name a racist incident perpetrated by him and prove that the incident was him, then I have to give his explanation the benefit of the doubt.

Also, it would be incredibly stupid for him to specifically say that word in a video that was meant for the exact people the pronounced word could offend. Lastly, the reason the slip-up even made through editing is because Chinese people do not even recognize that word seeing as its in english.

Nothing really lines up here, nothing at all. I don't know why you choose to think negatively of someone despite contrary evidence to exactly what your thoughts are about this individual.

19. aroundtheblock2

Are you seriously going to post an op-ed?

What a stupid miserable world that person must live in. In that world everything everyone says is useless and words mean nothing because everything bad is "unseen" and "unsaid" but still "somewhere" there even though no one knows where it is or what is. I'm sorry, I choose not to believe in the boogeyman theory of racism. I try to take people at their word as much as possible until they show through their actions that they aren't a person of their word. If you're going to assume people are racist/bad before even interacting with them don't be surprised when they do the exact same thing back to you and you would rightfully deserve a bad rap if thats how you operate in your interactions with other people. Also, I hope I never run in to your miserable ass.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

To me, the topic is done, I see it as a very weird Freudian slip, others are free to see it differently. I doubt this thread would have gone to this many pages without durvasa repeatedly stating pretty "unusual" viewpoints.

Houstunna likes this.