1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy C has a way with the ladies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Granville, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Granville

Granville Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/houston-astros-botch-ladies-night-offend-women-daily-buzz-092513

You would think the Houston Astros had already done enough to alienate their fanbase by trotting out a minor league-caliber team that’s going to finish with one of the worst records in recent baseball history (a list that includes last year’s Astros team as well).

I mean, it’s gotten to the point where no one — and I mean no one — is even watching them on TV.

But then on Monday, they went ahead and did this, just in case there were a few people who still wanted to watch them play:

According to the link in the tweet: "Astros Ladies Night, presented by State Farm, is a women-only event that allows our female fans to get the inside scoop on the Astros and meet some of the staff and players. The event starts at 4:00 pm with a 'Baseball 101' talk, followed by a happy hour event themed 'Diamond, Bling and Glittery Things' with music, specialty drinks, exclusive Ladies Night gift courtesy of State Farm, group photos with Astros players, and complimentary beauty treatments. Package includes a View Deck II ticket to watch the Astros take on the New York Yankees following the cocktail hour."

The response went about like you’d expect it to:

There are more tweets out there, but I think you get the idea.

It’s not so much that there’s something inherently wrong with advertising a ladies night at a sporting event. Teams do it all the time. There’s also nothing wrong with an event that promotes educating new fans about the game.

But hosting an event that promotes the idea that women know nothing about sports — and implying that only women might find themselves in need of a baseball 101 course — is definitely the wrong way to go about it.

"It's not their intent to alienate women, but it's a symptom of the fact that there are a lot of men who work in sports," Austin-based writer Jessica Luther told Texas Monthly. "I don't think they considered what that would look like to women who already care about baseball."

So yeah, the promotion? A bad idea. The execution? Even worse.

This likely isn’t the way a struggling team limping through the last few days of another 100-loss season wanted to close things out. (Fortunately, they’ll have Roger Clemens in attendance on Sunday to lift everyone’s spirits.) But at the end of the day, at least they’re still making lots of money.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

people just look for any reason to shxt on crane and the astros..

4. Nook

Nook Member

Whatever, most the women at Astros games don't know what the **** is going on and are there on dates or to get drunk. Let them be pissed. No one is going to talk about any of this in 2-3 years if the Astros are good again. People right now just have Astros fatigue after being good but not great for a decade and now 5+ years of irrelevance.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I heard that Crane only stocks the ladies restroom with off brand tampons... The monster.

6. ThaShark316_28

Always lookin' for ways to get at the Astros. It's hilarious.

These folks better get their flamesuits on when these kids come up and the Astros aren't bad anymore.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Didn't you know Crane hates black people, women, Italians, poor people, Bigtexxx, fans and the national league.

8. ThaShark316_28

Every time I talk to him at work, I gives off that "damn black folks" vibe. :grin:

9. ThaShark316_28

Fixed

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What an idiotic article

11. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Who knows how the kids will turn out? If they suck then what is the plan? Crane isn't going to spend money. This team could suck for many more years to come.

12. Nook

Nook Member

This goes for every team in baseball. What if the prospects fail? What if the free agents we sign fizzle? What if the young players producing regress?

Major league prospects often fail, that is why you play the numbers, and the Astros system has depth.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not every team has been where we are though. In fact Only a very few have

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't see the problem.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Especially considering this is something that has been going on for a number of years, in a number of sports, in a number of organizations.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Do the Texans not do something similar during the season? I thought they had a womens only lunch, with coaches and players explaining the basics of football to help them understand the game their husbands are addicted to on weekends?

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don't see anything wrong with this or how it's remotely offensive.

I caught like 30 seconds of Jay Mohr this afternoon and he was ripping on the astros. I know there are some incredibly sensitive people, but a comedian like Mohr? I don't get it. If this was the Red Sox no one would give a ****.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

That is just it, crane is already known as a racist and sexist. His reputation follows him

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Every franchise does this promotion. Rockets do it all the time. Maybe if the Astros were still on FOX, this wouldn't be an article.

20. Buck Turgidson

And about 90% of the men as well