1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JD Davis traded to Mets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 6, 2019.

1. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Man, Keith Law is kind of a dick.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. vince

vince Member

Thanks for the info...

3. vince

vince Member

Wow Keith Law thinks that the Mets got hosed in this trade. From reading, it seems that the Astros have gotten a potential gem in Luis Santana and additional solid depth in the other guys. The catcher coming in appears to have quite the potential too...,

For one thing, this trade strengthens the Astros Minor league system. It removes a current AAAA player in JD Davis and allows guys to move up the system. It brings in more talent to the Catching position, more talent to the infield in The lower levels.

4. Buck Turgidson

Adolph has an intriguing combo of speed and power, especially if he can stick in CF. MVP of his NYPL team last year.

eta: I didn't realize Santana was only 18 and playing his first year of ball in the States. Putting up the numbers he did at that age in that league (avg pitcher was 2 years older than him) while adjusting to life in a new country is impressive. eta2: The only 2 players in the league his age or younger to put up a better OPS were a top 100 prospect and a 2018 1st round draft pick

#24 Buck Turgidson, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Smacktle, BigMaloe, Shark44 and 2 others like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fixed.

Mets don't have much depth, and likely need someone to play 1B for a couple of months until Super Two deadline is likely passed. Astros got the upside in the deal.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I enjoy these types of trades, Trading a 25 yr old hitter in J.D Davis AAA who doesn't have any speed at 3B and trading for a real 19 yr young prospect. It's better than signing 15 yr olds who might not be good, a 19 year old who has developed and putting up numbers in Luis Santana, nice move.

7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I thought the same thing...no way you trade away a player you think will put up those numbers.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

MLB Pipeline has Santana as the #22 prospect and Adolph as the #30 prospect in the system.

After reading more on Adolph and Manea, this looks like a really good return for essentially a backup infielder.

#28 tellitlikeitis, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It really seems like we made out like bandits for a likely 40 man space clearing move.

All 3 are coming off strong seasons and have things to like. Santana in particular looks like a guy who could really make a jump depending how he fares in full season ball.

vince, IowaAstro and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Wonder if this ends up being a josh fields for Yordan Alvarez type deal.... jd davis has been over matched at the big league level and he’s obviously blocked at 3b as well. W for Luhnow most likely

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is a fantastic value play. I love Santana's bat control and think he could be a good MLB player.

12. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Hopefully we can get similar for Kemp, Reed and Fisher.

vince likes this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

I’m a bit surprised that NYM was the buyer on Davis. I would’ve thought that a rebuilding team, a la BAL, would’ve been J.D. Davis’ next stop. Somewhere where he can get solid and consistant playing time, where he can have breathing room during struggles.

I could still see J.D. having a good career, but going to NYM is a blessing and a curse. NYM is in a weird place. They should rebuild or retool, but they’re head on competing with a mostly meh team. JD won’t have the safety of 500 abs that he could get on a rebuilding team. If he doesn’t come out strong, he’ll get benched ASAP.

14. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

There’s a lesson to be learned in this—value is often not what we expect.

15. GottaHaveHeart

There goes another JD Martinez out the door

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Mets margin for playoffs is small. Adding to depth increases their playoff odds as it keeps injuries from hurting as much. Average teams without depth is who I expect should want guys like Davis.

Nook likes this.
  17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Not sure I understand or agree with that logic. The best way for a bubble team to increase their playoff odds is to increase their ceiling, not their floor.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Floor and ceiling are interconnected. Replacing negative value players with replacement level players helps raise both the floor and the ceiling of a team. There are probably about 400 ABs Mets have that will go to Davis or to someone that could be significantly worse.

Sure getting high ceiling MLB players helps more, but Santana, Adolph, and Manea aren't getting that. What they can get is a guy that has potential to be a lot less worse than their bench players.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I love that it floods the lower levels with talent & potential, something that will become harder to do the more they win at the major league level.

I think it's another example of Luhnow smartly balancing the tricky today/tomorrow dynamic. Man, we're really lucky to have him as our general manager...

mikol13 and raining threes like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

He is different in person than he is as a writer.

He is very polite and friendly in person, even though she suffers from social anxiety.

I did not especially like him when I had only read his columns. He is aware that his columns and media personality is kind of dickish. He calls it "snarky" but knows it doesn't fit who he is as a person.

He was very, very close to being an executive with the Houston Astros 6 years ago. He was offered the job, and he would have accepted the offer from Luhnow if not for his family not wanting him to.

He flew down to Houston at the time, met with the owner, Luhnow and others. He was going to be in charge of the Astros entire scouting operation.

He is a very nice, generous and brilliant guy.

Joshfast, Smacktle, King1 and 3 others like this.