1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Uthoff

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ratman, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ratman

Ratman Member

Anyone catch any tape on this guy? As an iowa fan i watch just about every game of the hawkeyes and id love this guy to go to houston, he leads the big ten conference ( a top 5 major conference) in blocks and scoring. Hes a 6-9 small forward that can score from anywhere. Shooting 45 percent from 3 and is ridiculous in reacting to shots and getting blocks. His turnaround game is really good too. Id love the rockets to draft sf if its one if the bpa because ariza is getting old and more inconsistent and so long as he hits 3s and can play some d he fits the system big time! What do you guys think?

2. Ratman

Ratman Member

[youtube]eeFS3ur_ygw[/youtube]

30 points in 19 minutes of the first half against the number 4 team in the country and his rivals gym on the road. Got a smoothe 3 and is just a great scorer all around, not too mention he lead the big ten conference ( a major college conference in blocks per game)

3. Ratman

Ratman Member

[youtube]B0E2i_2b13k[/youtube]

4. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Nice shot. He looks like Dirk with the step back. I would be worried about his quickness on the NBA level. He looks too weak to play the 4 and too slow to play 3.

5. basketballholic

Offensively, he can contribute. Got the shot, got a handle to drive with. Don't know how well he'll be able to finish in the NBA. And question marks about where he plays defensively. Love his shot though. Like his bball iq.

6. basketballholic

Draftexpress currently has Uthoff outside the top 60. That is ridiculous. By all rights he should be a first rounder.

Now that we know MDA is definitely the coach I can't think of a better ready made fit for our team. Been watching him for a while now. This kid just knows how to play the game. He knows how to match up his defender with either the dribble drive or set him up for the jumper or even take a small into the post. He has excellent ball and shooting skills. We should take him with our first second round pick or convince him to shut it down and go undrafted by giving him something like 3 years $5 million. He's a better rookie than Chandler Parsons was.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Shoots and Moves like Dirk.

but probably plays like Dekker. ;)

8. basketballholic

I don't get the Dirk comparison. He's not nearly Dirk's size. I really don't think he's even as long as Dekker. And I think his handle is better than both of them. He handles like Parsons but shoots so much better than Parsons does even now. Great quick release that he'll be able to use in the NBA.

This man fits our team and would be a rotation player his rookie season and could win the starting 3 job like Parsons did.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Someone with a Twitter account should ask Matt Bullard for his thoughts on this guy as an NBA prospect.

10. basketballholic

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n6yGZHXFXQE"
    frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

over the last two years he shot 38.2% on 5.2 attempts and 37.2% on 4.3 attempts from 3. His freshman season he shot 42.5% but only on 1.2 attempts per game... he never shot 45%.... and that is from the college 3pt line which is shorter distance than the nba one. not sure where you got 45% from... i do like his shot though looks smooth. i also like the parsons comparison but he isn't as long or athletic IMO

12. Normalus

Normalus Member

I don't get the hype

13. basketballholic

I figured someone would bring that up.

Look at his team. He was the guy. He has to take more shots with more contest because he was surrounded by players that would not take those shots.

He's a great shooter. Has great hands. Has outstanding quick release. Has a fast basketball processor that allows him to evaluate his matchup and his options in a millisecond. And he has the skills to have a myriad of options including drive and finish, drive and dish, catch and shoot, catch-fake-shoot, catch-fake-dribble-shoot, fade away, post up, or simply wing the ball cross court to a wide open shooter.

Very skilled player.

#13 basketballholic, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jarrod Uthoff looks like an NBA player. Uthoff looks better than Dekker. Better 3 point shot, better handles, better quickness, maybe even a little better length.

15. Ratman

Ratman Member

Lord please look at the date of the post man.

16. Ratman

Ratman Member

he doesnt realize the date i posted that is when he was shooting 45% lol.

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So, can we just sign him an an Undrafted FA for the low low if he's outside the top 60? Should we just draft him with our last 2nd rounder?

18. Airdough

Airdough Member

Uthoff, Dekker, Gentile would be 3/5ths is a white boy power squad. Now just need two more......

19. basketballholic

I think you have to draft him if he is on the board with our first second round pick. I'll be shocked if he goes undrafted. I won't be surprised if he goes late in the first round. Draft Express does great work. But they miss several guys every draft. In my opinion they are missing badly here.

#19 basketballholic, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I won't comment on whether he is a better prospect than Parsons as I see the reason for a comparison but I don't think they are actually that similar. What Uthoff has that really stands out is his ball control and handle. For a man his size and with his position, his ball control is elite. He doesn't waste motion either. He is a good 3 point shooter now, and has excellent range. I can see him becoming a very good shooter in the NBA. His release set is quick, otherwise it is sufficient.

He lacks the raw athleticism or quickness down the court like Parsons. He isn't a plodder, he passes well advancing the ball and you can tell he likes playing in transition and also is consistent in his own spacing on the break as a trailer.

He doesn't have great size or length or quite the athlete of others (although he gets off the floor faster than some seem to think). I agree with you that he is a 1st round talent. I wouldn't be shocked if someone trades up as far as the mid teens to take him. D'Antoni is a snake oil salesman in someways but one of his real strengths is identifying players that will thrive in his offense. Despite the lack of raw foot speed without the basketball, Uthoff "gets it" and would be a very good possible plug and play candidate.