1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Dudley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, May 22, 2019.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can always point out the hits and the misses of a GM's draft records. Morey has picked up some gems in the second round. He also had some glaring misses. The Leonard miss was most famous. But in that 2012 draft, he picked Lamb, White, and Jones when all those aforementioned players were still available. Think about that. He missed Fournier, Crowder, Draymond, Middleton, and Barton, all five of them, THREE times. That was arguably the worst draft of Morey's career.

I am not saying that Morey is terrible. He got some solid picks such as Capela. But he is at best average when it comes to drafting in the first round. He has never been the "genius" some people make him out to be. Morey's genius, in my opinion, is in his asset management and his ability to get undervalued players in trades (Harden being the most prized). But even the undervalued advantage has diminished in recent years when more and more teams are using analytics to enhance their player evaluation.

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I mean you have to keep in mind that he was not the only Gm to not draft those players earlier. And even the teams that drafted them, probably half of them got lucky with how good they turned out. Crowder and Fournier bounced around a few teams.
    But if your point is that Morey is not a genius when it comes to drafting, then yeah, you’re right. Definitely hasn’t earned “above average” label. I thought you were implying he’s below average.

Edit: not disagreeing with what I just said, but minor note: Lamb probably wouldn’t be categorized as a below average player for a 12th pick. I’d say he’s average. Just averaged 15pts his first year as a starter.

Easy likes this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

We still have 2 guys in Tucker and Gordon.

He also did it with Luc.I

let's see how the year goes before we say he has diminished any.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Gordon and Tucker are good. Luc was also good before his injury. Beverley was another gem he found. The most underrated of Morey's acquisitions was probably the Rafer for Lowry deal.

But he also had some terrible FA signing lately. Last year's entire offseason signings were garbage. Got a little redemption by catching Austin Rivers falling on his lap.

We traded away so many first round picks, I don't even remember who was our last first rounder. Dekker?

5. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Parson was a good draft pick

6. biff17

biff17 Member

I don't disagree with any of this.

His homeruns dwarf his mistakes and I really appreciate the fact that he moves on from his mistakes and doesn't double down.

i don't think his free agent signings have been terrible they had no long term ramifications on the team.

Those are the terrible ones.

7. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Lamb is a solid NBA player. Terrence Jones looked really promising for awhile, but obviously ultimately flamed out. However, I think his career is probably on par with or maybe even a little better than a typical #18 pick. Royce White was a dumb pick because Morey should have been able to sniff out how incredibly arrogant and unwilling to put in what is required of an NBA player he was.

But look at some of the other guys drafted ahead of Green, Crowder, Barton, and Middleton in 2012.

MKG (#2 pick)
    Thomas Robinson (#5 pick)
    Kendall Marshall
    John Henson
    Tyler Zeller
    Andrew Nicholson
    Jared Sullinger
    Fab Melo
    John Jenkins
    Jared Cunningham
    Tony Wroten
    Miles Plumlee
    Perry Jones III
    Marquis Teague
    Festus Ezeli
    Jeffery Taylor
    Bernard James

Getting into the "We drafted this guy when this guy was available" isn't really fair in a lot of instances.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Except for the Ryno signing, easily his worst move. If we would have spent that money on a better FA, we would have won at least one title.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

On the contrary, I think it is only fair to look at it that way.

Let me tell you why you can't just look at the player's draft position and his subsequent career. Take the infamous Kawhi miss. Drafting Marcus Morris at #14 isn't bad in a vacuum. He turns out to be a solid player worthy of an average #14 pick. But it was a dumb pick because Kawhi Leonard was still available.

If someone told you to take either $1000 or $1 million and you took $1000, you would be dumb, even though getting $1000 wasn't a bad thing. Also, just because 20 other people also chose the $1000 doesn't make you any less dumb.

I am sure Morey understands this logic and has been kicking himself since that 2011 draft. :D