1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden Right Shoulder, Air Cupping Treatment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets1995, Apr 19, 2018.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So was bloodletting as a catch all treatment. Just because something has been practiced historically doesn't mean it actually works.

The only possible effect is a placebo, which I guess has some value. Pooled blood near the surface of the body doesn't increase healing.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Not even slightly. This is pseudoscience and any benefit felt is definitely placebo.

But w/e. Placebo shouldn’t be underestimated.

4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Hence, In theory.

5. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

yeah noticed the air cupping spots during the game, pretty interesting. hopefully western medicine starts to do some empirical study on the usefulness of chinese medicine (accupuncture, air cupping etc.). i'm a bit of a skeptic but my friend told me these sort of traditions that have been passed for so many years (perhaps thousands) has to have some kind of truth to it.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That unfortunately wasn't possible with all the rest of the injuries.

7. Courts N Session

I wonder what Keith Jones thinks about cupping? I'm sure he at least knew Harden would be doing it. He is the man

Stormy1234 and saleem like this.
  8. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Exactly. We all saw what happened with the Tune Squad in Space Jam.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I've seen a lot of Olympic athletes do this as well. Who knows I personally don't think it's anything but a placebo.

I've heard it "work" and not "work" on different people. I know a person that does this cupping thing .every week for his back pain for the past 10 years...

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Echoing what others have said, this is just pseudoscience. Cupping has been researched quite a bit (along with acupuncture, chiropractic, kinesio tape, and other pseudoscience), and there hasn't been any strong positive results indicating its effectiveness:
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/cupping-olympic-pseudoscience/
    As this blog post points out, stuff like this is pretty rampant in sports, and it always drives me crazy (especially with an "evidence-based" organization like the Rockets). Much of these treatments aren't completely risk free either. Cupping is probably less risky than other treatments, though I'm still not sure it's worth any placebo effects. A quick Google search shows some man ended up with large holes on his back due to cupping. Probably just a botched job, though given there's not really any way to do it "correctly" anyway, not sure it's worth the risk.

BigMaloe, topfive and robgue like this.
  11. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Yep. But as someone else said, Harden also used that tape on his shoulder that doesn't do anything.

If it makes him feel better, then more power to him.

12. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

No way bro. Fire cupping is the fuggin best. My late grandmother used to do it. Though she was skilled so it's not like you'd get burned. The heat was the best part imo.

rockets1995 and Stormy1234 like this.
  13. eslate22

eslate22 Member

Dr. Clutchfans.... paging Dr. Clutchfans

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Luckily, we dont need to vs Spurs. Two players from warriors get hurt by patty mills today. Hope harden recover soon

#34 elmotsangtt, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Stormy1234 likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I'm so sick of this pseudoscience nonsense... it seems Harden really buys into it. Maybe placebo effect.

Show me some clinical studies and I'll change my mind, until then I'm going to be rolling my eyes at him for this kind of stuff every time I notice it.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

He might have hurt it in Game 1. There was a play he went up for dunk/layup on a break away and ended up on the floor in the bottom corner of the screen. If I remember right. He was grimacing after the play and I thought he was hurt then.

kjayp and Stormy1234 like this.
  17. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

There is evidence. Increased blood to an area brings more oxygen. That's why patients with poor circulation and others go to hyperbaric chambers.

DonKnock likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Chandler: Yo, paisan. Can I talk to you for a sec? Your tailor... is a very bad man!
    Joey: Frankie? What are you talking about?
    Ross: [Ross enters and touches Chandler on the shoulder, who flinches]
    Ross: Hey, what's going on?
    Chandler: Joey's tailor... took advantage of me.
    Ross: What?
    Joey: No way. I've been going to the guy for 12 years.
    Chandler: Oh, come on. He said he was going to do my inseam, and then he ran his hand up my leg, and then there was definite... cupping.

Joey: That's how they do pants! First they go up one side, they move it over, then they go up the other side, they move it back, and then they do the rear.
    Joey: [Chandler and Ross stare at him] What? Ross, would you tell him? Isn't that how a tailor measure pants?
    Ross: Yes. Yes, it is... In prison! What's the matter with you?

Louka likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It’s a hangover cure...

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's meant to help release knots