1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is @Chris_Broussard's pick for MVP and @ColinCowherd is absolutely beside himself

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Feb 19, 2018.

1. HookemHorns1250

If they want to talk about other players, they should just have a segment called “Who is the runner up for MVP?”

Stormy1234 likes this.
  2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Cowherd is the quintessential contrarian. He knows what he needs to say to capture and engage an audience.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

2nd page and no @tinman rage post?

I imagine tinman as a 99er would quote the late Fergie, "You guys are so 2000 and late."

RIP Fergie she died during all-star weekend
    She died as she lived, a terrible singer:(

RasaqBoi, DonKnock and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans love it when:
    a.people on tv think the Rockets suck
    b.people on tv like the Rockets

A - Correct Answer

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He’s trolling here that was absolutely stupid pls stop posting this **** and giving these dudes attention

charlieaustin, DonKnock and BigShasta like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

giphy.gif

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. lionaire

lionaire Member

Yesterday in a thread I jokingly said that Harden's All star performance would somehow hurt his MVP campaign and now here we are

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

For long stretches of this season, the Cavs were dead in the water, unable to compete with top tier teams, had the worst defense in the history of the NBA, and the locker room was a mess. LeBron looked so checked out that people were seriously entertaining the idea that it might be in the Cavs' best interest to move him. Then the Cavs suddenly play well for a few games after the front office flipped half the roster.

How does any of this even reflect well on LeBron, much less prove that he deserves MVP?

D-rock, Stormy1234 and DonKnock like this.
  9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Cowturd sounds annoying! How anyone can listen to him is beyond me...:confused:

D-rock, J.R. and DonKnock like this.
  10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Colin Cowpatty needs ratings. But, WHO, besides James, is even close to MVP? Kevin "the snake" Durant is a monster, but he's getting those assists by passing off to guys named Klay, Steph, Draya, etc. His scoring, albeit impressive, is nothing new. I'll even argue that his scoring has become an easier task with the spacing GS provides him and the numerous threats he's able to pass off to...so, meh

Disclaimer: Our team, outside of James, deserves their own credit for EVERYTHING. They are part of the glue.

Here's the idea SO, SO MANY miss (except my beloved Clutchfans): There is currently no other player --who has led his team to a record like ours, with our type of personnel --along with these amazing stats besides James Harden. We have depth. But if you truly analyze depth, there are teams around the league with more talent than us as a whole, based on individual players. So, it bothers me when Collin Cowshat fails to understand that James has made his entire team better, while appearing to have the same talent as some other other teams, by using his passing and decision making to completely change the makeup of the game.

I hate labeling guys like "star" and "superstar" but Collin's ignorance lends itself to the wording.

Our team is number one in the standings, but our roster does not scream "superstardom" like, say, the Warriors . You could argue that the OKC Thunder with Westbrook, Paul George AND Carmelo (what, 20-30 all-time scoring?!) scream "dream team". (Steven Adams is no slouch at C with his numbers, either)

The same could go for the underperforming TWolves: Look at that roster with Jimmy, KAT, Wiggins, Taj and even Jamal Crawford(his 3point stats are legendary) KAT is a superstar, and he will be one of the best PFs of all time if he stays healthy. THe point is, like JVG says, the Wolves have a TON of talent. Arguably more talent than us, player by player.

Hell, add the Cavs to teams that alludes to "stardom"-- before the problems (Isaiah Thomas had an MVP season last year, you have the King, KLove, Tristan, and more. That team is loaded with talent, along with one of the worst coaches in the league. (Visions of AI stepping over Ty Lue :) )

So, yes, CP3 is an all-time, top 10 guard, but he's aging and he's not what he was 8 years ago. He's a "star" but he's not a Westbrook "star." Clint Capela is growing epically, but he's still learning and cannot take over a game on his own. I've yet to see him make a legit, in-game jumper or a game where he cannot be stopped. So, Clint is becoming a "star," but he's not what Dwight was on that Orlando team. Trevor Ariza (Don't you dare write anything negative about my boy ;) ) is also aging after coming from high school, and "star" doesn't seem to work anymore. Ryan Anderson is not a superstar, and we've failed to utilize his skills to his Pelicans' days (Yes, I also blame him for being a bystander but we could do more; but he's used to some post- looks, which yields to being a great offensive rebounder). Again, The Rockets starting PF is not on the same level as KAT, The Unicorn of NY or Al Hor who has Kyrie/ Jaylen and some crazy talent.

Our bench brigade is fun (exempt JJ/BW) BUT: PJ Tucker is a defensive hoarde of grit, but he doesn't take over offensively, and he's not quite Shane Battier or RonRon; EGO has been damaged for a great deal of his career, and he's not quite a superstar, though, he has completely reinvented his game towards the better side of things. Luc is an amazing journeyman, whom I've been told WILL NOT be going anywhere after this season...but he's still limited. He cannot take over a game.

Gerald Green--self-explanatory. NeNe continues to turn back the clock (Remember his dominating game against OKC in the playoffs? Why?Trust as a team of "no stars) Clint couldn't handle the OKC bigs and NeNe stepped up, mirroring what Draymond Green should be night in, night out for GS. Props to my guy :)

TBlack (lucky to play on our team...sorry, this is one that does not belong; I haven't seen the progress). Trasnparency: TBlack was on his way to Orlando for a guard FYI, but JJ came into the picture.

I could go on, but i'll save you the misery of my posting. Radiation is painful...so is the hate from posters who read my ideas and want to use them as toilet paper. :) Love you, too....as much as I love Lavar Ball.

Simply: James Harden is MVP not only because of the stats and our record. That's too easy. James Harden is MVP because he is leading a team of excellent players to heights that are normally exceeded by teams filled with the "stars" and "superstars" that traditionally win championships. James Harden is MVP because he has guided very good NBA players towards becoming GREAT players this season, despite not having "Carmelo/LBJ/Monta Ellis" reputations. James Harden is MVP because he's the only guy in the league who can help PJ Tucker look like DPOY (he's in the discussion), while at the same time, trusting Trevor Ariza and Eric Gordon to take a last-second 3 that only a "superstar" should take. Trusting a team of "mis-labels" is the defintion of leadership. Most "MVP's" would always take the last shot. James has given Cp3 the reigns, EGO, Clint, Trev and ANYONE open. Trust.

....Collin's logic suggests only a GS/ Cle/ OKC-type roster is capable of excellence in these scenarios. James has proven him wrong, and maybe Colin cannot handle being, well, wrong.

Colin doesn't recognize that he's watching the most unconventional MVP candidate show the league that "star" reputations mean so much more than ego and numbers. They're about context, and in the Rockets' context, an MVP does more than boast about triple-doubles, complain about his team/shot selection/Kevin Love in The Land or have his coach beg Silver to take another look. "Real G's move in silence," and James is the OG of this team who has elevated every other teammate by ONLY making noise on the hardwood.

We are number one because James used his talents to embrace the skills his teammates bring to the table. Then, he upped his game to another echelon without any outlandish cry for help. He was awarded with CP3 after years of playing Atlas, with the heaviest shoulders in the league. Steph with weight? lol...

He went out and conquered the MVP award without the type of team that every other MVP "needs." LeBron needed Dwade. Lebron needed Kyrie/Love/JR. Steph needed Dray/Klay. Steph then needed Dray/Klay/ and Snake Durant.

James is MVP because he's won without these household names (CP is well-known, but again, his name in the same context as Steph has passed). Yet, he's treated all of them like superstars and they've learned to believe in themselves as "superstars." That's been transposed on the floor, where you see a team full of Rockets, arguably ALL talented enough to be All-stars in their minds. That confidence means more than the truth.

The Rockets work for a common goal. James facilitated the fire; the team has kept this baby lit. James is MVP because he took a bunch of "nobodies" (term respctfully used) to casual/bandwagon NBA fans and has destroyed the NBA with guys no one used to notice.

Now, because we're number 1, without a "super team", Collin can't comprehend how it's been done. So, he insults, doubts or picks at James either for ratings or because he has never understood the game.

What a simple, sad, pathetic mind.

My apologies for a long post, but I'm proud of the Rockets. More importantly, I'm proud of this fan base- YOU- as we've gone through some amazing years along with years that were absolute hell. Putting Walt Williams and Moochie Norris on the floor as starters was not a highlight of my fandom.

But, this team, this chemistry, a coach who has seemed to improved like aged, fine wine and a team who intends to win despite all of the doubt is unforgettable. I'm excited. Even my cancer is excited ;)

Love to our team and James for leading the charge. Love for the "nonstars" who have shown that the word only means so much in context. Love to my guy Ne for taking a leap of faith and signing here, just hoping to have a meaningful role. He tells me he's had the most fun of his career playing with James, Trev and this current group. That says so much to me, as a life long friend.

In the Rockets locker room, Ne is more than a voice. He's a physically strong leader who keeps Clint positive, reminds James that leaders have to take criticism and accepts his own faults.

Also, much love to CP3 for adjusting to a new culture and understanding that what he thought was "the way" in LAC may have not been.

Collin is looking for ratings, but he has the NBA intelligence of a first-year NBA fan.What's more is he doesn't understand the love the Rockets have for each other as brothers. That love will take our record and quest for a title further than a team of "superstars" on paper and emotionally-dead players in the huddle, daydreaming about how many points they plan on averaging.

Collin, you're a lost boy. James is a man. Acknowledge that you have an undisputed MVP and keep it moving.

One Love, and I'll disappear for awhile. :)

#30 Codman, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just an excellent, excellent post.

D-rock and J.R. like this.
  12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Artie_Fufkin and D-rock like this.
  13. Salvy

Salvy Member

People like Collin make me feel like the league is pointless, why even have other teams or players ? Let’s just have an anual 7 game series between Cavs and Warriors..... Lebron can be MVP automatically for as long as he lives and then when he retires the media can chose a new goat and two more teams.

Why even have the damn award if they are going to push it towards a certain person every damn year.... Lebron does not deserve that MVP this year, neither does Durant or Curry.... Harden has earned that MVP, which he shouldn’t even accept after it was disgraced by Westbrook....

Andy Sheets and don grahamleone like this.
  14. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Harden is this season MVP.

15. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

What do you guys expect from the COWHERD? The narrative is always and constantly changing when it comes to James-the-Barber-Harden and the Rockets. The media have no respect for the Rockets and its players. And when local sports talking head like Bill Worrell and Mat Bullard try to prop our guys up, other media talking heads call them HOMER. Even during the two championships runs none these talking heads believed the Rockets; instead, they said the Rockets were lucky that MJ was out of the league then. I don't know to what extent the local sports writers in Houston try to drum up the Rockets and its players but I think they need to get their game up. I am a die-hard Rockets fan in the nations' capital and I subscribed to Houston Chronicles and I don't see much content concerning the Rockets like other NBA cities. Let's just hope everything goes right for us this playoffs and the we win the O'Brien trophy and stick it to them where it hurts.

16. valorita

valorita Member

@Codman

So TBlack
    For
    Afflalo

Eh?

Nene seems like he is dealing w nagging injuries and age more this year.
    Not much lift.
    You think he is going to be ready for the playoffs?

Also seems like management will have to choose between Trev/PJ/Luc
    Who do they prefer?

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are likely right about AA (he is a Codman crush) but man it would have been too nice if it was for Jonathan Simmons instead.

And a shout out to cod, I hate novella like posts but I almost screamed in pain when I got to the end of his, I was so riveted hoping for another clue to Morey's machinations behind closed doors.

lionaire likes this.
  18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Why does everyone get so worked up by these debates? There was a recent poll of 100 media members and 91 took Harden as the MVP. How many people would watch a sports DEBATE show if everyone just said “yep Harden is the MVP no doubt”? Especially when it’s the Monday after the ASG and there’s little to talk about...that would cut the segment short ya think?

PS- Anyone check the odds lately? Harden is 4/11 to win the MVP.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I wish someone would argue that MVP is not a lifetime achievement award. This is an award for the most impactful season. Harden easily has that.

EDIT Also, Harden as less less turnovers

#39 don grahamleone, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Mazulis and Salvy like this.
  20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Well written and thanks for the positive thoughts and words. Unfortunately I tend to sway negative and expect the worst. But, I have to say I am optimistic about this group. They just seem different and determined. Alone CP3 and JH13 have their playoff demons. But, maybe together they can exercise those demons and take it all the way. There is no team we can't beat if we stay focused and play our game and HUSTLE.. Could we see the Rockets follow the Astros? Wouldn't that be something.