1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Click is new GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dockerland, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do wonder if we will see the opener deployed for the 3-5 spots in Houston’s rotation. It looks similar to Tampa’s from last season. I think McCullers and Urquidy could both put up some insane numbers if deployed that way, and it would keep their inning counts down.

1 Verlander
    2 Greinke
    3 Opener followed by McCullers
    4 Opener followed by Urquidy
    5 Opener followed by Pruitt
    Openers: James, Abreu, Smith
    Long/Middle relievers: Peacock, Devenski, Biagini
    Late innings: Osuna, Pressly

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm really not a fan of the opener. It seems like a weird gimmick that burns a pitcher more than anything.

I am on board with something like a tandem system with guys like James/Peacock being allowed to go multiple innings every few days instead of single inning appearances. Save for the top 2, we have a ton of pitchers/prospects who can't really be counted on for more than 5 right now. I wouldn't mind a little structure to how we use them

mikol13 likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

Guys...how far can you get before LOL’ing. What a terrible article and stance. My god. How blind are people these days? Some of the quotes are just...is Yahoo! now The Onion?

4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Astros should ban all yahoo affiliated journos for the coming season

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rock Block likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rays didn't have Cole and JV last season, but still pitched great. They took Astros to elimination game in playoffs. I don't expect Astros to use it except for maybe emergency replacement starters, but there aren't many teams with the top end pitching talent Astros have.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Media is about to get really humbled... they started to believe their hyperbole and over-the-top sanctimony regarding common-place practices of the effects of deciphering signs.

In the end, this is nowhere near a steroid/PED like effect on the game or a team. Their numbers will be as good if not better than they were last year. Their pitching has never benefitted from any of this.

It wouldn’t take much from a responsible/level headed journalist to put an article out there trying to put a stop to the conspiracy theories and to remind everybody exactly why the Astros are really good.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rays didn’t use openers for Morton, Glasnow, Snell, or McKay. They only used it for starters who weren’t very good (Yarbrough, Chirinos, Pruitt, Richards, and Beeks). As Houstons rotation currently sits, whoever wins the 5th starter job (likely Pruitt or Peacock) is likely going to have an opener. McCullers and Urquidy are good enough that it might not make sense to have an opener, but they both will have innings concerns, so even if they start games they will probably only go 4-5 innings, which means another guy will have to throw 2-3 innings behind them.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Always believe the odds. Fans and journalists can squawk all they want, but the over/under in Houston’s 2020 wins hasn’t changed; it’s still 96-97 games. The people who know and who are invested in it know the sign stealing didn’t have a meaningful impact on the outcomes.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Which only serves to further embarrass the talking heads who have wrote/tweeted/voiced their way into a corner.

and I’m sure they’ll blame the Astros for when that happens.

itzIce likes this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Anything Yahoo! does is straight up trash. In a world full of bad “journalism”, Yahoo! is the absolute worst of the worst.

awc713 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Love Pence, but why?

13. awc713

awc713 Member

he had a bounce back season last year. I don’t see where exactly he fits...but maybe this is Click’s first splash!

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Peacock had a couple rough outings last year, but he's been great in the first inning generally. His problem is lasting late in the game. Pruitt and Armenteros are guys I see needing the opener, but I see them as emergency/replacement starters.

Nook likes this.
  15. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

As much as I disliked the Baker hire, I equally love the Click hire and the GM role was definitely more important

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

To platoon with Tucker or Reddick, and give Brantley and Alvarez days off against tough left-handed starting pitchers.

Nook and Joe Joe like this.
  17. prospecthugger

An opener is designed to help a pitcher go deeper into games. Unless fatigue is a bigger issue than times through the order, an opener should help. I'm not really counting on Dusty to implement an opener.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Will be interesting to see how Dusty and the analytics department work together this year. I presume that if the analytics dept says he should use an opener for specific games he would comply. Never know though.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would be pretty surprised if McCullers doesn't have an opener. Perfect way to help hold his innings down. Could see more of a two inning opener with a guy like Peacock, then ask Lance to get through the 6th and get to the end of the pen.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Hopefully now that we have a GM a Reddick trade is in the works, Pence RH bat would pair much better with Tucker

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.