1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jake Marisnick promotion due

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stros4me, Apr 10, 2019.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

If by “playing full-time” you really mean “when there’s a LHP starting”...then yes. Otherwise, ignore small sample sizes and hopefully he continues to play well. But Jake is not yet an full-time player or starter on a championship winning team.

2. Buck Turgidson

Who gives a **** about the GG? Who gives a **** if he's rated by whatever metric 3rd or 7th or 2nd or whatever? Watch him. Is Jake one of the very best CFs in the game? Yes. Does his defense help the team? Yes. That's why he's here. He is a great late option in the field and on the bases.

Should he start more than a couple of times a week? Probably not, they've got a great system of rotating rest right and playing matchups right now, why mess with it?

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Who cares about the gold glove? Shrug, I’d assume the guy that said marisnick plays a gold glove CF that I responded to
    I love Jake. I said as much. I’m merely attempting to calibrate exactly where he lines up defensively as a CF. I think he’s just outside the top 5 in the game. Which is great and I’m cool with him being on this roster and his role on the team and how they use him. Never said differently.

4. Buck Turgidson

Derek Jeter fans don't shrug.

How about this: "Jake Marisnick is a Gold Glove Caliber outfielder." He can't hit enough to play enough to win one so whatever.

#24 Buck Turgidson, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I told you guys this was gonna be the summer of Jake!
    [​IMG]

Jake Tower likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Adam Everett never winning a good glove says everything one needs to know about the gold glove.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Jake is fool’s gold. He will have a stretch where he looks like the deal. He then turns into a decent defensive outfielder that hits around.200-.240 with not enough consistency to hit 20 home runs.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That still makes me very angry. One of the best defensive SS's ever. Maybe still the best defensive SS of the 2000's. If he could've just hit a little better.

Does anyone else have the feeling that Reddick isn't going to finish the season as an Astro or is that just me? I get the feeling that one of or both Tucker and Alvarez are going to force the team to make a choice and I feel like Reddick will be the odd man out. I don't think his contract is so bad that he couldn't be moved if the Astros paid part of it. It's certainly not so much that a rebuilding team couldn't take him on for a season and a half. I really like him as a player and as a clubhouse guy...but the production offensively isn't where it should be and I think his defense can be covered.

Whelp...there's all the proof we need. Jake is going to be an All-Star. Mr. Scarface has become CF's John McClain.

marks0223 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Jake can hit 0.240 regularly, he should be a full-time player and he would definitely hit over 20 homers as a full-time player. Jake's issues is making too many outs (i.e., not enough singles). Granted, deserving to be a full-time player is not the same as deserving to be a full-time Astro this season.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. bobrek

I know exactly what you mean, but oh the irony of that statement...

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While Reddick, Kemp, White, and Marisnick may not be be good players this season, but they each look like half of a good player. As soon as Reddick and Kemp get some hits to fall and Hinch stops playing White against RHPs (or White could start hitting them better than the piss poor job he is currently doing), the Astros two platoons are going to look very good. Marisnick against LHPs has been okay for his career (i.e., low BA, but with enough pop to make up for it) despite being a wreck against RHPs.

I expect at some point Alvarez and/or Tucker will break in. Though, I have no idea who will be moved/injured of those 4. The platoons will make the Astros need to call someone up less. I expect Astros will move two position players (likely 2 of those 4 platoon guys) before the end of the season.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Jake is not going to be a full time player when you have a Kyle Tucker waiting...

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Read the last sentence you quoted.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Actually, Reddick has a .303 BA. But oddly, none are for extra bases nor does he have a single RBI.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I will give him credit for doing well to go to left against the shift. It seems like he's done well when he's shifted heavily to right.

16. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

JD Martinez was 25 years old and changed his batting stance. He had logged 975 plate appearances with a .251BA .681OPS.
    In contrast Adam Never-HIT played 11 seasons over 2100 plate appearances with a .248BA .656OPS
    Now Jake is 28 with 1384 PA as an Astro with a .238BA .683OPS.

Way to early to demote or promote anyone. If Tyler whit goes 3 for 4 with a double and a HR he'll be at .307BA .500SLG

Let the season breathe a little. Jake's new stance may have turned into a new player like JD did that winter before the Astros cut him. I will point out in the limited at bats Jake has been good vs. lefties and righties. AJ is getting everyone at bats.

If trends continue Stassi will be gone and Lunhow will trade one of these outfields for a decent catcher that can hit RHP a little bit.

17. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Another great defensive play by Jake. 2 hard hit balls for outs to start the game.

18. Buck Turgidson

One thing about bench players who get on a hot streak is that often they are on the hot streak because they are being used as bench players. You put them into a full-time role and they get exposed.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I knew Jake's BABIP was high, but .444 is absurd. On the positive side, his K/BB rates are both the best of his career. If he could just maintain those rates to go with his speed and decent pop, he would be more than productive enough to carry his glove.

But we've said this before. He's so frustrating because his needed offensive level is so low, yet he has never been able to meet even that.

20. bobrek

Things will start to even out. He ripped that one ball (105 MPH) and it tuned into a DP.