1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jahlil Okafor traded to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Yeah. Brooklyn is desperate to get young talent with their first round picks gone. No risk in trying guys like okafor out even if they probably wont pan out.

They got russell (injured) and okafor now lol. 2nd and 3rd pick in that draft.

BigMaloe likes this.
  2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Didn't they draft him 3 picks before McDermott, the exact same player but better in every way?

It is the kings tho, McDermott would probably be out of the league if he went there

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, Sean Kilpatrick is the best player in that deal and he was just released.

Are you down for a 4th guard Daryl? :)

Swiss Roll likes this.
  4. Raz

Raz Member

5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Dumb Philly media homer. They ruined his value and hurt his development. Okafor will turn his game around and expose the Sixers as the worst franchise in professional sports. Sixers are one guaranteed Embiid injury away from failure.

6. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Is this a joke?

Okafor on defense makes Ryan Anderson look like Hakeem Olajuwon, he's slow, linearly, laterally, and mentally. He's shorter than his claimed 6' 11" height, his length is average, and his vertical makes zach randolph laugh. His whole claim to fame is his "impeccable post game" which consists of one good move, and a lot of inefficient heaves from 8 feet. Unlike other great post scorers like Malone, Duncan, and Hakeem, Okafor has no jumpshot whatsoever, not even from midrange. You can't run P&R with him (2 slow) and you can't run P&P either (no jumper), the only way you can involve him in the offense is by ISO post-ups, which are the offensive equivalent to a tumor in todays NBA, it doesn't help that he never passes out either.

He will be lucky to be in the NBA by the turn of the decade.

King1, BigMaloe and Raz like this.
  7. CertifiedTroll

I was thinking Devin Booker, not Trevor Booker at first. Was extremely confused, until I caught on.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

You have been poisoned by the anti-Okafor cool-aid. The narrative around him is extremely toxic. The kid will turn around and make you and all Sixers fans look like donkeys.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

What valuable NBA skill does he possess?

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Which is ironic in the sense that,while they have been the franchise with the worst future and bleakest outlook the past few years, if they had 2 top 3 picks that draft and selected the exact same 2 players; they would be considered a team with a good future ahead of them with a lot of “potential” going forward.

Kudos to their GM

12. Fantasma Negro

Damn good trade for the nets. Get a skilled big man to take pressure off rook Allen and a guard to take Lin's mins while he's hurt. I like this trade

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have no idea how he'll turn out in Brooklyn...

But clearly he's been hampered somewhat by the system in Philly. The guy put up 17 ppg and 7 rpg in 30 minutes on 50% shooting as a 20 year old rookie.
    Can he play defense?? Well... no, not much. But that doesn't make him entirely unlike a lot of players. Unless he's just absolutely horrendous - I haven't watched enough - to be unplayable.
    His PER 100 possession stats were all in line his sophomore year, he just got 8 minutes less per game.
    They gave up on him this year.

He's clearly inferior to Joel Embiid. No ****.

But you've got guys like Aaron Gordon that were also dicked around position wise, and are very young, and not great defensively, and now in his 4th year seems to be emerging somewhat ... IF by emerging you mean he's basically statistically where Okafor was as a rookie, though definitely more efficient (since he has a 3 point shot now).

If you are going to run a "process", which I am absolutely fine with as a strategy (you basically can't find examples of teams that have won championships without at least one allstar/superstar drafted at/near the top of the lottery (mid 2000s Pistons is the exception... even the recent Cavs, for one they did originally draft Lebron anyway, but they also had #1 pick Kyrie, and oh yeah the #1 pick that turned into Love).... well even understanding the best player, best player, best player mantra... at some point you can't just draft Noel, Okafor, Embiid, Saric and expect to maximize all of their values.

By default, they were going to be forced to trade the non-best ones of that group since they wouldn't be developing or get PT.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They've turned Brook Lopez and Trevor Booker into D'Angelo Russell and Jahlil Okafor.

The 2 they have might not ultimately be any better than the 2 they gave away - TBD - but the potential upside is way higher and they were going to suck anyway.

BigMaloe and Fantasma Negro like this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

I have a feeling just based off the way they play Jarrett Allen that Okafor is going be an effective scoring threat. Russell needs to get healthy cause they were playing well with him. I also think they're coach is underrated. I'm strangely excited for this move, can't wait to see that squad at full strength

16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Cleaning up billy kings mess.

I think they hired him away from the spurs staff if i remember correctly

#36 Daddy Long Legs, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

There's two kinds of people in this thread:

"He's trash"
    or
    "He's going to be great"

I think the kid can play. Stick me in the middle.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who are all these busty scrubs traded for one another?

;)

Nook likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

im not sure how hell be either but to be fair we have yet to see how he is with a real shot at being able to play and on a consistent basis. well this is his chance. we will be able to determine if he was just rotting in philly for no reason and whether his skillset can translate to the leagues game today

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Nets made off like bandits.

dmoneybangbang likes this.