1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's early, but anyone else skeptical about Harden + CP3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketStan, Oct 20, 2017.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

That is a reasonable position. We have seen a very limited sample with Paul and Harden out there together.

I have seen a full game extra having gone to Harden's charity game and they seemed to play well off of each other in that situation.

The bigger issue then was Capela not being ready for sneaky CP passes.

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Did you tag me then change it to mathloom? Lol

I got a notification for this post

Pen15clubber, hakeem94 and RocketStan like this.
  3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I don't know why people keep wanting all these cutters and movement going on. That's not conducive to MDAs offense. When you have a lot of cutting and movement you clog up the lane for drives. And let's be honest, the guys that will be cutting are not good finishers in the paint so why take the ball out of Harden and Paul's hand to give it to them to finish or make a play? We have shooters on the floor for a reason. It opens the floor and creates driving lanes for harden or paul (two great finishers and playmakers). Just give CP a lil time to adjust. When he gets it rolling we will look very good. Two games in and you already have "analyst" and some fans crying it wont work, Paul is not being utilized correctly he is just standing in the corner, blah blah blah... "yule c"..

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

What reason do we have to worry other than fear of the unknown?

That is what this thread seems to be predicated on:

"I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it will turn out ok"

What I have seen is CP being able to quarterback the defense from the PG position something Bev could never accomplish.

I also saw a player who helped keep turnovers low

Finally I saw a player who forced the defense to account for him whether or not he was putting the ball through the hoop.

These are all crucial to our success whether or not Harden runs off 3 screens with CP on the court.

Reeko, YaoMing#1 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No doubt you're right. I would like to see a backup PG playing in a semi-Bev role, to give CP3 rest whenever it's needed.

6. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

No doubt we are a much better team than last season. Hell Gordon looks much better alone, not to mention what CP adds. But our offense still revolves around Harden and how he alone breaks down an offense. Instead of using both of them to break down an offense even further it seems like the other will always be relegated to spot up duties like Ariza. The problem is Harden/CP3 aren't Ariza. They are more than one dimensional offensive players. It's a disservice to the team when Harden doesn't have the ball he just lazes around the top of the key waiting for CP to do something, and CP is just playing the Bev role.

Look, I hope I'm wrong, but I've been burned by the Rockets the last two years and have earned the right to be skeptical.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

people are taking way too much from that GS game

it was CP3’s THIRD GAME with Harden against an NBA team...

also, CP3 was hobbled, D’antoni said he was playing on 1 leg...he wasn’t even able to finish the game...

It shouldn’t be some surprise that he was in the corner a lot when he was on the court with Harden. Did y’all want him to overexert himself in the 1st game of the season? CP3 clearly wasn’t at 100%, so he let Harden do his thing and run the show while he tried his best to carry the bench units. This is why he came here. The same way we always talk about CP3 taking pressure off of Harden also applies to Harden taking pressure off of CP3. That GS game was 1 example of that.

Building chemistry takes time. We’ve got people borderline panicking after 3 games.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah that's true. Warriors do a lot of movement because they are good at that. Harden and CP3 are good at being on the ball.

And what's so bad about standing in the corner? That's the best 3pt shot, and both Chris and James know how to find corner shooters.

That said, I did expect some more layers from D'Antoni and more off ball movement from Harden

#68 Mr. Clutch, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought OKC looked like doo-doo for most of the night last night. Carmelo chucking long twos keeping the ball away from Westbrook. It just so happen that they were playing the KNICKS.

I am not worried IN THE SLIGHTEST about OKC. Our offensive, efficiency machine and new defense will destroy that team.

hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.
  10. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

Because it makes our offense predictable. Everyone saw what happened against the Spurs. They figured it out. And we didn't adjust. Creating easy offense is ALWAYS a good thing. And cutting doesn't clog up the paint. In fact it clears it up because you're confusing the defense.

subtomic and Rocketeer4Life like this.
  11. photojoe

photojoe Member

"It's early, but anyone else skeptical about Harden + CP3?"

No.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...I'm skeptical until I see it work, but all signs point to it working.

13. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

No one is forcing you to stick around.

14. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

What the hell are you talking about? I've been a Rockets fan for 15 years. It's not about sticking around, it's about wanting results. I'm not some cheap bandwagon fan like you.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There is hyper sensitivity to criticism right now.

I don't think it's a perfectly natural fit, but neither is ball stopping Durant in GSW.

I wonder if we'll ever see Harden in the corner? CP3 hitting him with a pass would be an easy shots for him

16. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Well since we got Harden we have averaged 50 plus wins a season. Been to the WCF's once. Semis once and the playoffs every year. That is more wins and playoff wins then the Yao and tracy years. But somehow it's been a failure. lol.I guess we should have been happy with the tanking mode the Rockets were about to embark on in 2012 when they signed Lin to be there main guy at the time when Morey said he had finally convinced les to tank but it all changed when Harden fell into our lap.Hence signing lin was a good cover to tank considering his skill level.

#76 ricardo1979, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ooooohhhh....two whole years. rookie.

DonKnock, Reeko and hakeem94 like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol burned only for two years but apparently a fan for 15 years. hmmmmm something doesn't sound right

DonKnock and Reeko like this.
  20. Clown Baby

Clown Baby Member

Paul vs. Warriors: 11 Assists -- 1 TOV

That's a +10 Assists to Turnover difference in case you're not good at math.

Do you guys know how many times Beverley had a +10 A:T difference in a game last season? 0

Do you guys know how many times Beverley has had a +10 A:T difference in a game over his entire career? 1

The Paul/Harden dynamic will take time to really get going. But I think it's a little silly how everyone is focusing on just CP3's points as an indication that he didn't make a positive impact on offense.

Turnovers have been an achilles heel for this offense under D'Antoni. CP3 is historically good at not turning it over, and he showed it in game 1 vs. one of the best defenses out there.

I'm not worried a bit outside of his health. The shots will fall, and he showed off the rest of his game vs. GS.

Plowman likes this.