1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there no "Team" for Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rdeeds, Nov 27, 2004.

1. rdeeds

rdeeds Member

I may be way off the mark here, and if I am I’m sure someone will let me know.

Could it be that Yao is depressed?

Think about this for a minute. When he came to Houston he had no friends, and only his interpreter as a means to connect with this strange new environment. During his first year he had his parents, most notably his mother living with him. He became close friends with Steve Francis, and Rudy T became the ‘bedrock’ he could always count on. Then things started to change.

Rudy was gone and was replaced by a coach that treats the players as an analytically calculated option. Yao’s best friend, “Steve” suddenly went from the golden child to the goat in the eyes of the coach, and to make things worse, Yao was expected to surpass and replace, as the star, his friend whom he likes and respects. Along with all this, the image of his team was changed. Remember the TV ads of Mooch and Cat at Space Center, and Steve and Yao going to people’s houses, or Yao at center court with the little girl on the ladder. Suddenly the community and team interaction was gone. No more trying to relate to the fans. No more emphasis on team comrodery. Now he and all the other players were just entries on the stat sheets, and are fodder to the coach’s whim.

Then comes year 3 and Yao’s best buddy is gone. Steve is traded. We all saw in Yao’s 1st year that his culture is naturally part of his character. He is slow and hesitant to show up another player by using his size. He would rather bank a shot off the glass than slam it. He is a product of his culture and as such his emotional state reflects this. Now in year 3 his friend is gone, the team/community outreach is gone, his sense of team is gone. Yao plays to win for the “team”. But what has the definition of team become. In the Olympics it is well defined, but what is it now. How does Yao define the “team” he is competing for? It would seem “Team” is a coach that does not care about the player as a person, (unlike Rudy), an organization that is removed from the community, and no real friends at his job. (There’re all in Florida)

What motivation does Yao have? He is not playing for individual glory, he wants to win for a team, but he has no team at this point.

Don’t be surprised if Yao wants to abandon the cold impersonal atmosphere JVG has created. Then we have a problem JVG or Yao.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Shiat, I hate the Lakers is always right. :D
    Could very well be. Yao was complaining about JVG to Chinese media. Not balatant very subtle, but if Yao's talking about it in public, you know it's bothering him. He didnt even say much about coach Mean when he was picked on every day.
    I think I would be harsh on Yao too given the way he's been playing lately.

3. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

Yao Ming has lost everyone on the Rox organization who cares about him. :(

Yao Ming has been totally destroyed. :(

4. Just B

Just B Member

Well if he's looking for people who care about him, there's a team for Yao...Orlando! :D

(j/k before any of you jump on me for saying that ;) )

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yao is a big boy. He can handle himself. Some of you guys act like he's just a little kid that's afraid to sit by himself at the lunch table.

If he is as fragile as you guys seem to think he is (which I seriously doubt), he's never going to make it in the NBA on any team.

6. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

This is kind of related to the topic. I dont know if anyone mentioned this in the Utah Game Thread, but did anyone notice when Gundy called a time out after Yao lost a loose ball out of bounds. As soon as the time out was called (I think it was a 20) the camera man focused in on the huddle. Im no lip reader but it was pretty clear what Van Gundy said. As soon as the players walked over to him he looked right at Yao and kinda yelled "What the F*CK are you doing, what the f*ck are you doing. You had the loose ball right there and let someone half your size take it away from you??" Then he looked at him in disgust and Yao quickly walked off back onto the court. It made me wonder how he treats him when the cameras are off.

7. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

so lets see... you join in Dec 2002 - you post two other times, then you come here with this theory.

How about Mo T ? is he missing Francis too ?

... nevermind that Boki is Yao's closest friend on the team - no, its got to

Yao has not been able to get going early... THAT is the reason you see him frustrated in games.

he looked OK against the Kings !

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

actually...one of his other posts were in the game thread...and it was a exact duplicate of this.

a topic so crappy...you just gotta post it twice. :rolleyes:

9. jediknight94595

Did you see Van Grumpy stomp his feet to get Yao's attention in the last Sac game? Van Grumpy is treating Yao like a DOG!!! :mad:

Yao Ming has been mentally and physically destroyed by Van Grumpy!!! :mad:

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, he's been playing like a p***y....cat, so what do you expect the coach to do? Kiss his ass? Somebody needs to get his attention.

I'm sorry, but 10 rebounds in 2 games isn't going to cut it. Not for a 7'6 center. He looked utterly LOST out there tonight.

11. rocketsmetalspd

I can't believe that Yao is destroyed mentally. I do believe it has to do with this tough stretch of road games. Being 7'6" and all those road games have taken their toll. I will wait and see how he does on the next stretch of games coming up. Seven of eight at home, this should be good for the Rockets in general. I still believe that the Rockets will make some move to bring in a PF that can rebound and play tough D. Go Rockets!!:D

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

There is a Team For Yao. it's Called the Houston Rockets . all he has to do is start playing like a franchise player and the rest will fall into pieces.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

How fired up was Yao during the recent Olympics. Didn't he mention he was inspired to achieve for Chinese B-bal AND not to let down Del Harris? I truly believe the Rox have gotten sick of JVG.

14. Jester

Jester Contributing Member

I would totally agree. Yao has game, but JVG is not bringing it out of him. It will be interesting to see how long Les puts up with this.

15. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Yep, Yao plays soft because of JVG. He refuses to go after rebounds, and disappears on offense because he's out to get the coach. Please :rolleyes:

16. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Watching Yao lately makes me want to react the same way. The guy has to have the weakest hands in the NBA. If he gets pushed in the back or whacked in the head, he drops the ball. He's letting smaller players take rebounds away from him, even when they bounce right to him. He has to play much much tougher out there.

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

While I didn't want to start a new thread for this, I must mention that there is a light at the end of a tunnel. We have a extremely good schedule for us upcoming. Including the game agaisn't the nuggets, we have 11 home games with two games in between. We only travel twice between a 29 day period. We go to Dallas and Charlotte. So, no more excuses about the schedule. We have a very friendly schedule coming up.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/schedule/

18. Charvo

Charvo Member

Yao is effed up mentally. He is now a stranger in a strange land.

19. jediknight94595

Van Grumpy has totally destroyed Yao Ming. :mad:

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

:rolleyes: back at ya. i only mentioned harris was able to inspire yao.