1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Stephen Curry an upgrade over Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jopatmc, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What are your thoughts on Stephen Curry? Do you consider him a significant upgrade if we could get him and trade Aaron Brooks?

In my opinion, I think Curry is the better offensive player, better shooter, better range, able to get open with multiple defenders and squeeze off his shot in tight spaces with high accuracy. I think he is going to be an offensive dynamo in the NBA with the obvious defensive deficiencies, but a great fit offensively with Yao. If we could acquire him, I would be willing to give up Brooks to get him. I think he would be extremely effective if McGrady came back strong and ran the top offensively and let him be the cutter/slasher/spot up shooter that McGrady could find. This is provided McGrady is healthy and isn't traded. Without McGrady or a playmaker to play alongside, I think Curry comes back to earth a lot closer to Brooks. I still think I want Curry over Brooks however because of his ability to get the shot off so quickly. He reminds me so much of Chris Jackson when he was at LSU but I think Curry is better and I think Curry has a better head on his shoulders. CJ would have been a great pro had he not gotten tied up in being a Muslim and not a team player. I don't see that in Curry or Brooks, so I think both will have better careers than Abdul-Rauf had and I think Curry in the right situation is going to be a killer.

tmoney1101 and lnchan like this.
  2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he will nothing more than an average player when he gets to the NBA.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What is that kid like 14 years old?

Might as well ask if Lil Curry would be an upgrade over AB.

4. Prince

Prince Member

A player who hasn't touched an nba ball an upgrade?

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Does anybody other than Brooks' mother not think Curry is an upgrade over Brooks?

lnchan likes this.
  6. Xcellerator

Xcellerator Member

Curry is not a point guard and is undersized for a two guard. Role player at best. Can spot up and shoot the lights off and plays well in the pick and roll.

lnchan likes this.
  7. BrooksBall

He seems to be roughly another Eric Gordon.

8. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Stephen Curry = Dale Ellis

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

No. Brooks ploved he can ball in the playoffs.

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Yeah, and he proved it.

11. Brotha Ishtar

Brotha Ishtar Member

JJ Redick had a pretty damn good offensive game in college too. NBA...not so much.

12. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

when i see curry... i see I3 or crawford

13. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Curry is a flat out scorer...as we all know the knock on him is he's undersized and his ability to run the point is in question. When I think of how his game will translate to the NBA I think of Eddie House with a better shooting technique (his Dad was the great shooter Dell Curry, what do you expect). The fact that he's projected to be a top 10 pick that will command top 10 pick money reflects on how weak this year's draft is in terms of depth and star quality, and why I would for us to stay out of it all together, although I am OK with buying a late first/second round pick

14. rvpals

rvpals Member

Curry reminds me a lot of Reggie Miller, somebody that keeps running to get an open look. Some one that you have to chase all game long to keep up.

WIth the tight defense & space to operate in, he could get his shot off quickly and most of the time he could burn you. Plus he's a great free throw shooter.

By himself I don't think Curry is going to be very good player, but I think he will make a big difference if he plays with Yao. He'll get a lot of open looks, from what I could see in college, if you leave him some day light he would burn you for sure.

We can pick and roll w/ Curry & Yao.

15. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly !!!!! He basically played Division II College ball !!!!!!!!!!!

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all, Stephen Curry is actually a projected lottery pick (really more of a reflection of the draft's depth than Curry's talent). Secondly, we don't even own a pick in this year's draft, if we managed to trade for a lottery pick (likely us parting with major pieces), do you think we'd waste it on Stephen Curry, a player whose improvement over AB is already debatable? I think not, therefore this thread is irrelevant because I believe there is no scenario where we get Stephen Curry, unless something freaky happens wherein he slides all the way to late 1st/2nd round.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

gordon is a lot better at drawing fouls and attacking, not as good of a shooter as curry though

18. BrooksBall

That's why I said "roughly." Nobody is exactly like anybody else.

They are both good shooters, regardless of who is slightly better than the other, and they are both undersized combo guards who will be high picks.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

....he's a top notch shooter, he's not a great great ball handler, but good enough to dribble around to create his offense and not be stuck as a spot up shooter. He's similar to sam casell i think, but more accuracy from deep and not as wild like sam could be sometimes. I'd say he's Cassell with Reggie's ability to run around and come off of picks..

20. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Curry and Brooks are different types of players. Curry is going to be a pure SG coming off the bench. AB is a little more of a hybrid.

Curry would be a hell of a fit on a team coached by Adelman with Yao taking up all the attention down low. Would I be okay with Morey buying a 1st round pick to draft Curry? Absolutely.