1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is red supergiant star Betelguese about to go supernova?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Feb 23, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Betelgeuse has dimmed suddenly, perplexing scientists

One of the 10 brightest stars in the nighttime sky is suddenly getting dimmer, with soft fuzzy edges.

Betelguese, the red supergiant star on the western edge of the constellation Orion (left shoulder) has changed its shape in recent months, creating speculation that a supernova is on the horizon.

“It’s been doing some very strange things recently,” said Marc Pinsonneault, an astronomer at The Ohio State University. “It’s become dramatically dimmer.”

Pinsonneault speculates that Betelgeuse will eventually implode, or go supernova, but the unpredictable time scale could be anywhere from months to thousands of years from now.

At a distance of more than 650 light years from Earth, the effects of such a cosmic explosion wouldn’t cause any harm on Earth from emitted radiation. (One light year is nearly 6 trillion miles.)

“If it explodes, it would be by far the brightest object in the night sky,” said Pinsonneault. This kind of rare visible event hasn’t happened in hundreds of years, and would be something hugely important for scientists.

Pinsonneault said observing a supernova in real-time would provide a great deal of new information on such things as the end stages of stars, and the nature of the periodic elements.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/betelgeuse-has-dimmed-suddenly-perplexing-astronomers/amp/

malakas, CCity Zero, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. KingCheetah

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Maybe it's in the process of going supernova? I have no idea...

4. KingCheetah

It will dim and shrink rapidly then BOOM we have a new brightest object in the night sky for a while -- maybe tomorrow or 200,000 years from now, but soon on a galactic timeframe. Whatever it is doing right now is really weird -- imagine if the sun started getting dim and fuzzy it would be end times.

Nook, B-Bob and Andre0087 like this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this story is lagging behind events. I read somewhere in the last week that it had slowed the dimming and the asymmetrical dimming had them thinking it was dust being thrown off, but I cant find that blog now. The original big prognostication was that it was going to blow on Feb 21. If you go to a news aggregator, there was a huge flurry of stories on this between Feb 10 and Feb 14 they've all dried up in the last week.

I think this is a non-astronomy news site catching up and reprinting the news from two weeks ago, unless I missed something.

6. KingCheetah

The dimming has stabilized since December, but remains dimmer than it has ever been observed.

7. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Most recent image from 2/14/20

Using ESO’s Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have captured the unprecedented dimming of Betelgeuse, a red supergiant star in the constellation of Orion. The stunning new images of the star’s surface show not only the fading red supergiant but also how its apparent shape is changing.

Betelgeuse has been a beacon in the night sky for stellar observers but it began to dim late last year. At the time of writing Betelgeuse is at about 36% of its normal brightness, a change noticeable even to the naked eye. Astronomy enthusiasts and scientists alike were excitedly hoping to find out more about this unprecedented dimming.

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso2003/

B-Bob and Yung-T like this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Greater threat to Katy?
    Sun supernova, Coronavirus, or Angry Dodger fan?

9. KingCheetah

Katy evacuates then collapses likely corona virus/ angry dodger (Magic Johnson).

BigM likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

star is taking a rest before going super saiyan

11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

It's so weird looking at something live and to think that star might not even be there anymore.

#11 Blatz, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    ThatBoyNick, Yung-T, malakas and 2 others like this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, it's pretty interesting for sure, I mean some people don't even think about that stuff, like on this one we're 650 light years behind (in the past). So definitely agree with you!

ThatBoyNick, Yung-T, malakas and 3 others like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That’s amazing! I’d like to hear from @B-Bob. I don’t think we know enough about the time scale of a super-nova. What happens just prior to one. Maybe it’ll blow tomorrow, or maybe our civilization will be dust in the wind when it does. If it blows soon, the science we’ll gain from that happening will be, well, mind blowing!

Nice thread, KC. :cool:

Yung-T, malakas, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I guess I’m not looking in the right place, because that picture looks like it would *already* be the brightest object in the sky.

[​IMG]

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

That's a light bulb.

16. KingCheetah

I WANT TO BELIEVE

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like fun

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

My vote's for blurry popcorn kernal.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe they just have a smudge on their telescope?

donkeypunch likes this.
  20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.