1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Oh wait...he just jumped offsides again...

2. Remix

Remix Member

Honestly thinking about it, I would give serious consideration to trading Clowney if the Texans can get a high first and second.

Deshaun Watson is the future of this franchise. We've all seen what having a generational defensive end is like with no QB, and Clowney doesn't come close to peak JJ Watt. Given Clowney's injury history and upcoming free agency, theres no way I would feel comfortable with giving him 100 million+. They need to give Watson all the help he needs

Kevooooo, mario_v and raining threes like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is it time to blow up the stadium and switch to rugby?

4. raining threes

I would be all for trading Clowney due to his micro fracture surgery. Those thing only last so long before blowing out again. With that said I'm sure RS would blow the picks so I would keep Clowney.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

We have so many holes to fill. Can Clowney, Watson hopkins and a bunch of scrubs (outside of mercilus) win now? Will we be able to keep Clowney and afford other talent to fill holes?

This is like the Melo trade, you only do it under the perfect deal.

Not a knock on Clowney at all.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Just stop. There are less holes than u think. Plus, You dont get the same return in the NFL. You MIGHT get a 1 for Clowney.

They will not trade him. Move on

texans1095 likes this.
  8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

We have no offensive line, our secondary is trash, Cushing is hopped up on roids and is still trash, our tight ends are in perpetual concussions...which team are you watching?

Why would I move on from the position of "trade him if the deal is worth it?' Even if you got a high first for him, if there are dynamic players in this draft you might get something equal in return. Definitely worth consideration.

mario_v likes this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why would you trade and elite player who is not even 25...for 1 maybe and create another hole at another position? Dumb.

The person u trade is Watt.

texans1095 likes this.
  10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Because we have a lot of holes to fill and the current team can't win now. So, if it's going to be hard to retain Clowney and still plug the many many holes, why would we not consider trading him? Yes, I agree, trade Watt, but his value will be extremely low. It's asinine to consider Clowney untouchable. He's good, but he's not JJ Watt 3 years ago.

mario_v likes this.
  11. Texanstradamus

No cause he is the cornerstone of the Defense now that watt is basically declining

12. Texanstradamus

Clowney is 24 years old lmfao

13. Remix

Remix Member

He's also had microfacture surgery, his career high in sacks up to this point is only 9, and he's going to be looking for 100 million+ in a year.

Clowney has also been MIA the past 2 weeks, and even before then where was he when the Chiefs, Patriots, and Seahawks were taking deep shots downfield late in games that resulted in losses?

Overall he's a very good player, but if there is an opportunity to trade him for a 1st and 2nd and even that might be asking to much, I would want the Texans to do it.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I predict a Mario Williams/ Fat Albert future for Clowney once he gets paid.

Somewhere in the middle of being hurt a lot and being lazy.

mario_v likes this.
  15. Texanstradamus

Lol sacks arnt every thing TFLs QB hits etc just last year with mercilus and clowney the defense was really good who is another noticeable pass rusher on this team outside of clowney Right now Brandon Scarlett ? Please and do you trust rick smith to do anything with the picks we get for clowney who is already established

16. showa13

showa13 Member

The simple answer is no. Trading Clowney fills maybe 3 holes(if those players even pan out) while creating an even bigger hole on defense. Clowney’s impact, much like JJ, can’t be measured with just stats. Without Clowney an already bad defense becomes the WORST defense in the league by far. This team has holes but filling holes by creating other holes isn’t the way to go.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Clowney does not come close to impacting the game like watt did.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Which Watt are you referring to? Pre-injury Watt, or post-injury Watt?

19. mario_v

mario_v Member

Pre-injury watt. Statistically, watt was first in many defensive categories.

I don’t have the stats in front of me but I remember they talked about his stats on mike and mike a couple of years ago and watt was by far the best defensive player in the league.

First in sacks, tackles for loss, batted balls, qb hits, pressures. The ones that came closest were in far and distant second.

20. texian

texian Member

We don't trade our better young players,

We let leave via free agency.