1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Nov 29, 2017.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would trade him for the Cowboys LT.

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

He’s been great when he’s healthy, but he’s been dealing with a lot of injuries these past two seasons.

3. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Don’t agree with your logic.

We were a bad defense with Watt and Mercilus this year as well. How about we ship them off first, since they cost more.

We were a great defense last year with Merci and Clowney, and without Watt. How about we ship Watt out first, since we can be great without him.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He has been in the league since 2015.

I agree with this sentiment. He's been hurt and it's affected his play, especially most recently. I don't think he's completely back to 100% from his most recent injury.

But my statement is correct when it comes to a bunch of opinions of him on this site, especially.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

decent run support and tackler but he can't cover for ****

vinsensual likes this.
  6. mario_v

mario_v Member

I doubt they can get anything for watt. He’s a shell of what he used to be, he’s injury prone and has a massive contract.

Mercilus is on a team friendly deal.

Clowney will easily get $100 million in free agency. Texans would be better off getting a first rounder for him.

Besides, can the team really afford to pay two defensive players $100 million each?

#26 mario_v, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wouldn't rule it out depending on what you could get. If you could rebuild the offensive line with all pro players it might not be a bad idea. Like they say, sell high, buy low.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

No look at the impact he has vs other guys in the league

9. Game7

Game7 Member

We should've traded Watt already. His value and performance are well past their peak at this point. I'd hang on to Clowney...unless somebody offers you the moon for him.

10. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

If your idea is all about saving money, then why does it make sense to keep someone that is a shell of their former self? When they’re the highest paid at their side of the ball

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Keep Clowney. You're not paying squat for the QB ... might as well keep that D well stocked.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Everyone but Watson is available for trade. For Clowney I would take two #1 picks. One has to be top 10.

#32 The Real Shady, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Sounds like the people who wanted to trade McCullers or Bregman....

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

The point is to accumulate draft picks and save money, that’s why I would like to see both clowney and watt go.

It shouldn’t be difficult getting a 1st rounder for clowney.

Watt would be difficult to trade because he’s injury prone and has a huge contract. They could just cut him but I don’t know how much money they would actually save.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Okoye

16. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

He wasn't a bust, but we didn't resign him and he developed a horrible disease called anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis that nearly killed him.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Am I the only one who thinks the Texans are in a great position for next year? Having a great QB on a rookie deal means money to lockup players like Clowney. We need to cut Cushing and invest in the OL and secondary. Skill positions are good and DL and LBs are good. IF Watt comes back even 80% I think we make a serious run.

Clowney like Watt is a possible DPOY. You do not let him go. Cut Watt before you do.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All this talk about trading Watt seems sacrilegious . The guy is most likely done. He'd already lost his second move due to the injuries, but now.....be realistic...and have some respect for one of the greatest players (an argument for greatest defensive player ever could be made) in NFL history. An amazing human being who has represented our city so well on and off the field. JJ's not going anywhere. He is ours now. A Houstonian.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think Watt gives it one more try and if he gets hurt again you won't have to cut or trade him because he will retire.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Should have traded Watt last off-season. Trading Clowney now would be a bad move.