1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yep and you can backroad Clowneys. Or franchise him the first year and then sign him the year after that. All depending on what type of year he has.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I repeat, don't give this guy a long and lucrative contracrt. He will limp toward the bench before the ink is dry.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chris Mortensen: Jadeveon Clowney, he is back for the Texans this week. This is a guy playing on his 5th year option. Is he gonna get Khalil Mack money from the Texans? Answer? Don't expect it. In fact, I think we monitor this situation. I don't think the Texans are ready to make a big investment in a guy who has been hurt a lot and who's biggest season was last year at 9 1/2 sacks.

No Worries likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If the Texans could trade Clowney and get a Khalil Mack like return ...

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Flame me for this.

Clowney for Le'Veon Bell.

Sue me.

Our D can survive, but with Bell our window would open. Keep the draft picks and re-sign him for what he deserves.

Marteen and Dankstronaut like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

We should have offered him for Mack. Gruden probably would have hung up the phone

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Give them Lamar Miller too

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Goodbye Mario Williams.

9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

And BoB?

Keep Miller as RB2 to spell Bell. I'd have to think Steelers would take that deal in a heartbeat. Don't know if they would have the ability to franchise or if we did. Just a thought. Fills the needs of both teams.

10. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Perhaps we can package him with O’Brien ?
    Maybe get a late 3rd rounder?

UTSA2step and Marteen like this.
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Give them Bob, Clowney, Kevin Johnson and miller :D

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Shelf life for a RB in the NFL is not that long. Would only trade for Bell if he was the missing piece to get us to the Super Bowl.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Problem is though that teams rarely trade for players in the NFL.

Steelers will be looking for draft picks, thus, it would be a huge risk to go after Bell right now. Would make more sense if we were 3-0...

but then again, if we were 3-0 I imagine it would be in part because a player like Clowney actually was dominant.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If we traded Clowney we need to do it for his counterpart talent at OT.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

3 options...

A) Sign him to the lucrative contract for which he will ask.
    B) Let him walk, accept 3rd round compensatory pick (just guessing, he was 1st overall and made the pro bowl last year)
    C) Trade him now.

I'm all in on option C now. I probably wasn't until this year but hey, undressed 15 yard personal fouls change your perspective on things quickly.

I'm not paying him 90 million. No freaking way. I'm taking any offer above that compensatory 3rd rounder *and* letting the rest of the team know where we all stand. Clowney isn't getting a free pass or an extension and neither is anyone else. THIS....this IS where it starts. Make the trade Brian Gaine. And hell yes I'd take Bell for Clowney straight up.

Quick comment on offseason negotiations....I wonder if that wasn't a head game to get him motivated. Bring him to the brink of that big time extension and back out. Make him want it even more, prove it, etc. OR if he's just a knucklehead trying to get rich, find that out too. Well, guess what? He's proving it alright.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’d trade Clowney & Seahawks 2nd Rounder. Probably won’t get it done but we absolutely need all three of our high round picks.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You can’t trade him now because you lost all the value he built last year because of recent injuries and questionable performance. He’s a giant question mark. Plus, no way he would pass a post trade physical. I bet he’s hurt even when he’s “healthy”

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

He’s always been a giant question mark. You bring up fair questions but there’s still a sucker out there looking at his tape that will throw us a decent pick. A 1st is no question done deal. A 2nd round from a good team and a low round next year based on playing time is a done deal for me.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

At this point I'd listen to all offers. If there are willing to overpay then do it

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Picks or gud oline players please.