1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Nov 29, 2017.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

I know I’m probably gonna angry responses but just hear me out. Here’s why I think Texans should trade clowney for a first round pick or more.

1. Texans don’t have a 1st or 2nd round pick in next years draft.

2. Texans have many positions to address, outside of qb and wr.

3. Clowney will command $100 plus million dollar contract. Other than watt, no other defensive player is worth that kind of money. That’s money can be better spent elsewhere.

Besides, Texans are a bad defense with clowney, they can be bad without him.

4. Be like the patriots. When chandler jones had one year left on his deal, the patriots traded him to Arizona for a first round pick, rather than re-signing him.

The big winners in free agency are most often the losers.

I would also like for the team to trade JJ watt but I doubt any team is going to want to take on that contract.

Game7 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, now that's funny.

JoeyTexas254 and Cstyle42 like this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This team already gets rid of enough quality players without any viable replacement. I'll pass

JoeyTexas254 and DreamShook like this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'd rather ship off Watt.

Are we even sure Watt is ever going to go back to his old self? Those injuries have effectively turned him into half the player he once was. Clowney isn't peak Watt good, but he's better than Watt is now.

LUK3, juanm34, ghettocheeze and 5 others like this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Better get a very good package if they do

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clowney is also currently the same age Khalil Mack was during his 2nd season in the league and putting up considerably better numbers than he did.

There's no scenario where you either cut Clowney or allow him to get away in FA.

ghettocheeze and RedRedemption like this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We are not the Patriots.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd keep Clowney over Watt.

LUK3, JoeyTexas254, juanm34 and 7 others like this.
  9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

If only we could flip O'Brien and Smith for some 1st & 2nd rd picks..

10. conquistador#11

let the patriots be the patriots. tired of patriots fans and ex players telling how patriots do things, talkin' about i got three rings. look at me. patriots this patriots that. F you patriots and patriots fans! tell me about an up and coming running back tearing his legs in a beach volleyball game at the probowl. tell me about Tuna taking a hall of fame running back with him to the Jets. Tell me about 5-11 5th in the division in 2000. There is a lot of suffering before the triumph. One man can change the entire timeline.His name is Watson. Glorious days are ahead of us. go get some avocado ice cream.

Oh and trading clowney would be a huge mistake. Can't give away your young talent. he is 24!

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Can you not franchise tag him for a while? I don't think you can get much for him with free agency looming. He might be the highest defensive player ever if he stays healthy. Can any team afford Watt and Clowney? I'm thinking we might be able to actually since Watson is locked-in cheap.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You don't overpay OLB in a 3-4 scheme because a mid level talent can get you double digit sacks just because of the scheme. That said, I never like Clowney as an OLB, prefer when they move him around. So all that said, keep Watt, Clowney, and trade Mercilus for a 2nd rounder if you can get it.

Since we're Clemons U now, a high 2nd rounder might net you Austin Bryant who I'm willing to bet can produce like Mercilus but on a cheap rookie contract. A 3rd rounder might get you Cater from Georgia. I love Mercilus but you can get similar production from a rookie contract period.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Watt's value is way too low to get anything of substance in return.

We need to keep him, Clowney, and Mercilus and hope their health improves next season.

We have a QB now all we need is a solid defense, which we had for many seasons, prior to this season.

14. Nook

Nook Member

You can trade someone like Clowney and thrive, but you sure as hell better have people that are great at identifying talent.

Unfortunately I am not confident that the draft picks would be used properly.

They should at least negotiate with him and see what they can get done..... but unfortunately this front office also likes to over pay players. So who knows.

I do know that the Texans have let too many talented players walk away, and the players they replaced them with haven't especially performed well.

The Texans will likely feel the sting of AJ Bouye for awhile.

Junkyard_Dog likes this.
  15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Pay Clowney and re-up Mercilus. Watt is on his final contract in my opinion

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I know it won't happen but didn't Braddock say if the Texans cut Watt this offseason they won't owe him a dime??

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Mercilus is under contract for 4 years/$26 million, that’s a very team friendly deal.

Clowney on the other hand, is probably going to get the biggest contract for a defensive player. That’s way too much for one player. Texans would be better off without him.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

If they can get a 1st for clowney, they should do it. Rick smith doesn’t have a problem identifying talent in the first round.

He’s never drafted a bust in the first round.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

According to some, Kevin Johnson may be the first to begin that list of busts.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It often takes at LEAST 3 years to figure out what a CB is about.