1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Injured Astros updates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by body slam, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Major

Major Member

Why and why? What makes you think he lives in his fantasy land? Do you have any idea what his financial expectations are?

And if you think they are absurd - presumably largely pushed by his agent - why do you then think it's ridiculous that he'd change agents?

BigM and BMoney like this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

This season should be the all out attempt to win the title. In a seven game series, Verlander and Cole are pitching twice each and maybe more. The time is now. There will be time to figure out next season. Bottomline, no matter what happens the Astros will be competitive for a long time. I am locking up Springer and letting Correa play out his contract. I really wish there was a way to keep Cole.

CheezeyBoy22, whiskeyred and arkoe like this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If you traded Correa and added that savings to what Cole is making or what Springer is making currently you’d go a long way toward being able to re-sign either- especially if you can move off Reddick and put that savings in there.
    And, you could go a ways toward restocking the farm

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m an observer of human nature and I can deduce things. Seriously, listen to the FO talk about him. Listen to his fellow players. Nobody is high on the guy in the organization. It’s really not hard to read between the lines. There is a near reverence when talking about Bregman. Universal love for Springer. Altuve got extended 2 years early with a huge deal that they didn’t need to do and might be an overpay on the back end of the contract. Subject of Correa comes up and you get NONE of that.
    Look, I’m a Correa should be a generational player guy. Or was anyway. Don’t see it happening now that way.
    The agent thing is about branding, same as that nonsense on his fiancés you tube channel. The guy is ARod Jr without the durability to make him an all timer.
    Maybe I’m wrong. I’m pretty sure I’m not wrong.

5. Major

Major Member

What does any of that have to do with him being in fantasy land? The talk years ago was that he has his heart set on NY. If that's the case, it would explain why teammates and the front office doesn't love him as much. It would explain why he hasn't accepted any kind of extension. It would explain why he's looking for a business-focused agent.

None of it puts him in fantasy world. It just means his life goals don't involve being a long-term Astro.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros are pissed at Correa. Astros aren't stupid, and realize that they've gotten a lot more out of Correa than they've given to him. Astros will keep Correa through club control and then give him the boot.

Correa's status on club control doesn't affect Springer and Cole's free agent contracts. They can get money elsewhere for Springer and Cole will be too expensive.

Correa is one of the few people on this planet that have helped win a World Series for the Astros. Not wanting to pay him free agent money is fine. Not wanting to keep around one of the original Astros World Series Champs through club control seems very pissy to me.

P.S. I'm in a funky mood. My apologies for my pissiness.

#706 Joe Joe, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don’t know what to tell you I promise you Correa believes he will break the bank with his next contract. The poster I replied to said “is he living in the fantasy land that he’s going to get 250. I replied, using his terminology of fantasy land that yes, he thinks he’s getting PAID”.
    He might be right and still get seriously paid. I wouldn’t deem that fantasy land. I was just using his words. If I was him I’d be minimizing my risk. He isn’t thinking that way.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's already made enough for himself. He's trying to help his family at this point. There is no risk for Correa.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No need to apologize.
    On your first paragraph we are in total agreement.
    As to the idea that the Astros will keep him through club control and then move on I’d say that’s most likely, but I also would bet JL is at least low key kicking tires on trade value this off season.
    As to his status not affecting other guys agree to disagree. Every 45 million in savings helps, which is probably what getting Correa traded for prospects will reduce payroll over the next two years. Maybe 40 in savings.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Man, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at 9 figures guaranteed isnall I can say.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Wrong thread

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Sanchez out for the season with shoulder surgery

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Other teams are not going to trade value for Correa as the only reason for Astros to trade Correa is if he's 2018 Correa. Only thing trading Correa would do would be to get about $30 million off the books for the rest of his arbitration, but hopefully that money is just delayed as the players acquired are worth paying. That might help a little to get Springer, but it is doubtful Springer signs a free agent contract with as much surplus value as Correa playing half the time under club control will provide.

If I wasn't already set for life, I wouldn't either. Once one is set for life, decision doesn't matter. Correa isn't signing a free agent contract with Astros so I don't see the point. Astros aren't going to offer a contract Correa will accept. Regarding Correa and Astros, he'll likely be paid $10 million this year and $20 million next year. I have no issue with Astros taking a $30 million dollar over 2 years on an Astro World Series Champ who averages producing $30 million dollars a year in value as a part-time player.

BigM likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

He isn't you though. He has tens of millions of dollars already. You're basically saying players should always accept less money to eliminate risk and accept playing with a team they might not want to play for or accept living in a place they might not want to live.

I think accepting generational wealth when you are Jon Singleton makes sense, because your alternative is $0 and having to actually work somewhere else the rest of your life, and you're really just giving up some potential earnings instead of your freedom of movement / free agency. Correa is likely set for life no matter what, between his MLB income and endorsements/etc. He has the freedom to make decisions around his other priorities that a guy like Singleton may not have had. Nothing crazy about using it.

But even if this was the case and he is crazy to turn down a big extension / guarantee, then he had a bad agent, so it seems not-ridiculous to switch agents.

15. Nook

Nook Member

If you really believe that thus far Carlos Correa has provided 150 million dollars in value...... well I don't know what to tell you.

Any money shifted from Correa would be money from the extension the Astros have had on the table for Correa, not money from Correa's arbitration years.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Look, I'm not saying that the Astros will definitely trade Correa, I'm saying that they will explore the option. They were back channeling gauging value for Springer before 2017? Maybe 2018? Talking to Cleveland about maybe getting Kluber as I recall. I'm saying I expect JL to gauge the market this off season.
    I think you are a little light at 30 million. I had 45 million, but in thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised if it was 37 or 38 over the next 2 years (something like 12 or 13 and then 24 or 25 or something like that. Maybe it's only 30, but then that's not nothing. I get the argument about surplus value comparing say, Correa for the next 2 years vs 5 years on Springer, but it's not just about surplus value it's about fit and roster construction. The question then is 2 fold in my view:
    What's more valuable- 1 year of deathstar lineup and then seeing Springer walk after 2020? or extending the window some (while reloading the minors to a degree) by taking Springer into 2024 or 2025 and putting him on the Bregman and Altuve timeline, while Toro plays 3rd and Bregman plays short for the next 5 years, or being really freaking good (like- 110 wins good maybe) in 2020 and then figuring out OF after that year when Marisnick, Reddick (probably gone this offseason), Brantley and Springer are all up? I lean toward taking a step back from absolute apex in 2020 while solidifying the core of your lineup for 5 more years.

This is what/how I'd spend my money if I were the Astros this offseason:

JV- 34 million
    Greinke- 25 million
    Cole- 30 million (7 for 210 if he'd take it)
    LMJ- 5 million
    Whitley- 0.5 million

Rotation- 95 million

Bullpen

Osuna- 5 million ??
    Pressley- 8 million ????
    Peacock- 4 million (arbitration)
    James, Framber, Uriquiez, Perez, Sneed etc up to 13 pitchers 3 million

20 million

Lineup

Catcher- 6 million- (chirinos for $5 and 2 backups for 1 million total)
    Gurriel- 8 million
    Altuve- 25 million
    Bregman- 20 million
    Toro- 0.5 million
    Brantley- 16 million
    Springer- 22 million (5 for 110 this offseason)
    Tucker- 0.5 million
    Straw- 0.5 million
    Diaz- 3 million
    Alvarez- 0.5 million

105 milion

220 milion total- barely into the luxury tax.

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Osuna made 6.5 million last year. So your 5 million for next year is way off. He will be somewhere around 8.5-9.5 million if I had to guess. You also have to add probably 6-8 million to the payroll because that is what the Astros will have to pay to dump Reddick.... maybe that much plus prospects.

Astros aren't trading Correa this offseason because they would be selling low. He's not likely to go from 5 million to 12-13 million in arbitration. If he tops 10 million I would be surprised considering how little he played this year.

Cole is gone. The Greinke deal sealed his fate. Boras wants to reset the starting pitching market. He will want 34-36 million per year for 7 years. They won't find that money in Houston.

I think the Astros resign Maldonado and not Chirinos. Chirinos is going to be 36 and takes a pounding behind the plate. Maldonado is a few years younger and will likely be cheaper.

Also, Whitley has done nothing to earn a spot in the rotation. He can't even dominate the minor leagues.

Nook likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Is this the 2019 offseason thread?

Here are the moves I’d make:

Sign Maldonado ($5M/1yr) and Alex Avila ($3M/1yr) to platoon at catcher.

Dump Reddick’s salary by packaging him with prospects (a guy like Enoli Paredes should be enough to get Reddick to even value) to free up $13M.

Sign 1 3rd tier free agent starting pitcher similar to Miley and Morton from previous seasons (Lyles, Hamels, Roark, Pineda, Bailey, Miley, Porcello, Vargas, Cashner, Anderson are candidates) for $8M/1yr or $14M/2yr

Trade 2-3 second tier prospects for a reliever. Something like Brandon Bielak and Ronnie Dawson to K.C. for Scott Barlow.

Offer a $74M/3yr extension to Springer.

Opening day 40 man roster:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    1B Gurriel
    C Avila

Bench: Maldonado, Diaz, Toro, Marisnick

Rotation: Verlander, Greinke, Porcello, McCullers, Sanchez*

Bullpen: Peacock, Devenski, Perez*, Biagini, Barlow, James, Pressly, Osuna

Optioned: Stubbs, Mayfield, Straw, Arauz, Ferguson, Martes, Urquidy, Valdez, Javier, Armenteros, Bailey, Abreu, Sneed, Scrubb, Ferrell

*spring competition for SP5 and RP8 between Sanchez, Peacock, and all the young guys

Nook likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I could be off by 20-30 million high or low, but if seeing $150M makes you think crazy, you're probably underselling how great Correa was in 2016, 2017, and first half of 2019.

Correa is not likely signing an extension. If Astros are saving money to sign him to an extension, they are idiots. You make a guy an offer, if he refuses, move on.

20. Buck Turgidson

So, about those injuries...

Smacktle and msn like this.