1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Injured Astros updates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by body slam, Jun 19, 2017.

1. body slam

body slam Member

If you have any Astros injury updates please post them here.

Seems like the Astros got hit by the injury bug all at once. I've seen scattered updates but it would be nice if they were all in one place.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/...n-to-take-major-11228921.php?ipid=hpsportsctp

All four injured Astros starters will take steps toward returning to the starting rotation in the coming days, manager A.J. Hinch said Sunday.

"[Monday] is going to be a big day for our rehab department," Hinch said. "All four [pitchers] will be doing something."

Most notably, ace Dallas Keuchel (9-0) – placed on the 10-day disabled list on June 8 with lingering neck discomfort – will start playing catch Monday in Oakland as the Astros kick off a seven-game, West Coast road trip.

It will be the first time the lefthander has thrown since being scratched from his start against the Kansas City Royalsafter warmups on June 7. The 2015 AL Cy Young Award winner leads the major leagues with a 1.67 ERA in 11 starts this season for the Astros.

"(Keuchel) has only been down for a week as far as not playing catch so that will be good for him," Hinch said. "We'll have a lot more information on how he feels (after that)."

Righthander Lance McCullers Jr. (6-1, 2.58 ERA), who joined Keuchel on the 10-day DL Monday with back discomfort, will also throw a bullpen session early in the series against the Athletics.

Hinch said the session could come Monday or Tuesday, suggesting a possible start against Seattle later in the week "if all goes well."

Collin McHugh, sidelined all year due to a right elbow injury, will head to Florida to begin spring training and face live hitters before graduating to a more extensive rehab assignment.

Charlie Morton (5-3, 4.06 ERA) will also throw a bullpen session Monday in Oakland, and said Saturday that he is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment with the team's Class AAA affiliate in Fresno, Calif. on Thursday. Morton has been on the 10-day DL since May 28 with a lat strain.

Entering Sunday's series finale against the Boston Red Sox, the Astros had dropped six of their last 10 games but maintained their double-digit lead over the Texas Rangers in the AL West.

Of those filling in the gaps of the depleted rotation were rookie call-ups David Paulino (1-0) and Francis Martes (1-0), who both picked up their first career MLB win this past homestand.

"For the two youngs, especially, it's nice that they can contribute," Hinch said. "I know they put a lot of pressure on themselves when they're asked to go out on a good team and pitch well...The tone is often set by the starting pitcher and these guys have really answered the challenge. They'll continue to learn and grow and try to help us win."

Although Hinch is happy with how Keuchel, McCullers, Morton and McHugh are continuing to move forward, he doesn't feel as if the Astros have weathered the storm of injuries quite yet.

"I like that they're all progressing, I think the key is to not have setbacks, and not have to shut guys down," Hinch said. "But I won't feel a ton better until I actually see that they're a legitimate option."

Dgn1, body slam and DFWRocket like this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I play fantasy sports year round so this is typically my go to in terms of injury updates. Hope it helps!

CK Johnson and body slam like this.
  4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I wonder. What would our record be if all of these guys, including McHugh were healthy all year. I mean best record in AL and have yet to have our projected starting rotation? Instead of dropping 6 of 10 would we have won 7 of 10?

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, or better. Pretty clear what has happened in the last week - the bullpen got taxed and started blowing games. The offense hasn't been that great but I think there's some psychology involved there as well. With our aces back out there I'm guessing the offense picks back up an we start dominating again.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My guess as to return dates:

Gustave (forearm tightness, 4/20): no timetable or meaningful updates have been given.

Keuchel (neck, 6/8): July 6th and the series against Toronto is my guess, but no firm timetable has been established; he will play catch today.

McCullers (lower back, 6/12): June 23rd; he will very likely pitch in the series with Seattle this weekend.

McHugh (arm fatigue/elbow, 4/8): July 14th; he is just building up and is on a "spring training" schedule. I'd target the series with the Twins midway through July.

Morton (lat strain, 5/25): July 4th series with Atlanta; he's on minor league rehab and I expect they'll give him 3-4 starts to build back up.

Reddick (concussion, 6/14): June 23rd; could come off as soon as he's eligible on 6/21 but they may be extra cautious if they want to see Fisher a few more times and/or they think they may complete a trade that will keep them from having to send Fisher down to AAA.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If we weather this storm of injuries and still have a double digit lead in tact, it's going to be an even more fun 2nd half.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Honestly, I'm ok with the recent swoon. I have a feeling our guys are missing their aces, and are playing with a little bit of trepidation. Once we get our horses back (and potentially add one more), and everybody is healthy, this team is going to kick some SERIOUS ass over the last 2+ months of the season.

Daddy Long Legs and RockFanFirst like this.
  9. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I agree that a little adversity will be good for the club in the long run. Better to have it in June than in Aug or Sept.

That is....as long as the horses +1 are back by Aug or Sept, or course.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There's definitely a tendency for batters to press when your main pitchers aren't playing and you feel like you need runs. Obviously starting pitching hasn't always been a problem during this stretch but that many injuries certainly has a overarching effect that can't be shown by just starters' ERA.

I would rather have won 7/10 but I'm not that concerned, particularly with the semi-maintenance of the big lead and help likely around the corner.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Can we please correct the title lol?

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

14. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

That escalated quickly.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I saw Collin McHugh at IAH about an hour ago, told him that we hope to see him back in the rotation soon. He winked back at me.

Hope that's a good sign.

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

That seems positive. Would be great to get him back soon.

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Dude, if we get Colin back after the all-star break, I'll be ecstatic.

19. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

No sh*t. Could you imagine a healthy Keuchal, a more seasoned LMCjr, if McHugh returns to 2015 form. We pick up a number 2 caliber pitcher and a Charlie Morton at 5 with peacock, Fiers, Devo as long pen guys, your stuck with Sipp. Feliz is there, harris, Giles and gregerson. That's a solid pen.

eric.81 likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Could somebody please fix this thread title, it's driving me crazy.