1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ingrown nail, advice please

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, May 10, 2012.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

on my big toe. mildly hurts. getting swollen, kinda looking dark like no circulation is going there. white pus comes out every time it gets squeezed just a little bit. Little blood too. So far I've been putting alcohol on it, but that is all. This is the second day. Any advice Clutchfans, from people who have experienced this or seen it happen to people they know? Thank you thank you.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Go to the doctor. You don't want it getting infected.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

How do I know if it's become infected? So there's no way to fix this by myself by buying medicine and applying it? I want to save money and time lol

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

A lot of my family members had these on their big toe years ago. All of them got their big toe nail removed.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Absolutely this. I nearly got a toe amputated because of ingrowing hair that cut off the blood support in one of my toes when I was a kid. Don't try to do this yourself, go to a doc immediately.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

****. Now I don't want that to happen. This blows.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I used to get these all the time.

Soak foot in hot water. Use a sterilized extraction tool. Jam it in there. Lift the nail out. Trim off the part that is causing you trouble. Sterilize the area afterwards with alcohol and neosporin, and let it breathe for a while, only bandage it when you absolutely have to. Sucks, but the relief is worth it. If it's really bad, you may want to go to a doctor, but minor ones can typically be dealt with at home.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

What? I've never heard of an ingrowing hair before. Didn't know it could really mess your blood circulation up.

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Dude, that's already infected. You need a doctor asap. Don't lose a toe over something so simple. They don't necessarily have to remove the whole nail. They may be able to just trim and kill-off the ingrown portion. All this can be done in a single office visit.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Alright, I'll go first thing in the morning. (it's 10 PM here)

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup. They will probably cut off a portion of the toe nail, I had this done twice before, painful. :)

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea, I don't know the specifics as I was too young but it was pretty messed up. The only reason I didn't get my toe amputated was because my parents were strictly against it, Docs came together, debated for like the third time and tried the last thing possible(surgery and some strong meds). So glad it worked out.

13. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

All that from a ingrown nail?!?!?! Is it the way you cut your toe nail? I normally cut my straight across so i never had this problem. that sucks man

[​IMG]

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Go to a doctor.. you don't want to lose a toe.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

(warning: a little graphic)

I let one of those keep getting worse for about a month when I was 16 and my toe swelled to about twice it's size and hurt tremendously. I had hit my toe on something and split a layer of my toenail, then when I peeled it off it left these jagged edges that became ingrown. It was obviously infected but I was too stupid/stubborn to do anything about it right away.

I had to go two or three times to get it cleaned up and get all of the side of the toenail out. Not a pleasant experience -- the numbing shots were incredibly painful going in the big toe. I still have a toenail but it's more narrow than my other big toe.

Also, soaking in vinegar water is supposed to help. But go to the doctor for sure.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Had one in HS. It was bad. Had to get minor surgery. Guess what -- I played basketball through the pain. Barely whined about it. SEC.

2 people like this.
  17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

18. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I've had them a few times. Every time I had it, I used something sharp to lift it out of the skin (it'll bleed a little bit), then use clippers to cut that part off. If it continues to grow like that, consider having the nail removed and let it grow back in a few months.

19. yo

yo Contributing Member

I don't get why they didn't try the "last thing possible" before suggesting to chop off your toes? :confused:

20. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member