1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In honor of the dog show...list your favorite breeds of dog

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ras137, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

I'm sure this has been covered before somewhere, but in honor of the dog show list your favorite dog breeds. (let's try to keep it at 5 or less, I'll list 4).

1. Golden Retriever- IMO the best dogs in the world. Smart, good-natured, sweet, great family pets. My own dog is a golden named Sherlock:
    [​IMG] He even lets me take silly pictures of him in caps. :)
    2. Newfoundland - can't really have one in Houston (too hot). Huge gentle giants, but you have to tolerate drool.
    3. Bernese Mountain Dog - beautiful sweet dogs who unfortunately have many health problems (avg lifespan ~7 years).
    4. Labrador Retiever - In many ways a lower maintenance Golden, but not quite as good looking nor as good-natured. Still they make wonderful family pets.

So clutchfans, what are your favorite dog breeds and why?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We just got a Golden Doodle puppy, and outside of the potty training bit, he is fantastic.

DD

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Labrador Retriever

4. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Dachshund- Got two of them.. Happy go lucky, playful but not too full of energy. Alot of personality to them as well. Best small breed IMO

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Great Pyrenees. Big, furry white dog originally bred to guard flocks from predators. I had one briefly, but she died of parvo at 6 months (45 lbs already at that age).

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Mutt. Like my dogs from the street. Makes them more interesting when they weren't bred for success or a certain purpose.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Boxer
    Schnauzer
    Vizsla
    Akita
    Pharaoh Hound
    Whippet

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

1. Bassett Hound - I'm partial since I own one. Love 'em.
    2. Golden Retriever - Just a fantastic all-around breed.
    3. Yellow Lab - Great dogs, very similar to Goldens. Stay away from Chocoloate or Black labs: much less predicatble.
    4. Pitbull - get one as a pup, raise it with love, and you'll never find a more faithful, dependable breed. My girlfriend has a 65 lb pitbull named "Kitty", and she's the sweetest dog ever.
    5. Bernese Mountain Dog - Great breed, though the thick coat doesn't always work well in Texas and can mean a lot of shedding. And in 7 years, almost like clockwork, they'll start dying of cancer. But great dogs, nonetheless.

Breeds to avoid:
    1. Chow chow - vicious little bastards
    2. Dachshunds - tempermental and demanding
    3. Dalmations - inbreeding has led to them being unpredictable and wonky
    4. Boxers - not dangerous by any means, but trouble-makers and damn near impossible to train.
    5. Toy/miniature anything - they make 'em small be inbreeding. Which makes them cray-cray.

9. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Shetland Sheepdog
    Beagle

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I have a mutt that is a german shepherd mix.

I think the mixed breed dogs end up having fewer problems. Or so I'm told.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A Labradoodle. Not exactly a recognized breed, though. I had one for 12 years. Got him at the SPCA in Houston early in 1972, when he was about 6 weeks old. Back then, there wasn't such a thing as a "Labradoodle" (or a "Goldendoodle," DD). I always thought it interesting that he never shed, and rarely really smelled all that much like a dog. Easily the smartest dog I've ever had. Learned tricks faster than any dog I've ever known, mine or someone elses. He was a chick magnet. I always took him to parties, and he'd wander around and walk up the the best looking girls, sit in front of them, and raise his paw with a grin. Perfect icebreaker for me! The Wonder Dog looked like this:

[​IMG]

12. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

My sister in law had a male Great Pyrenees (died at age 10) named Tulsa (which always made me think he was a girl) but he was very shy and always hid under the breakfast room table. So unfortunately he's the only one I've known and every time I think of a Great Pyrenees all I can ever think about is Tulsa hiding under the table, which is just not a real positive image.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Anyways...Have you ever owned one, seriously? That statement is a 180 of mine. Very, very easily trained, trouble maker? (LOL), most loyal, loveable and happy dog I have ever owned. I wouldn't advise coming near me without her noticing you first though. She's not a fan of that.

Also my mini Schnauzers laugh at post #5. One is a little nuts I'll give you that, but the other is from a championship line and she's like a mother hen. Does nothing but sleep on your shoulder or in the lap, is very protective of her home but only barks if people come near us, and she puts even my Boxer in her place when she's had enough of "whatever" it is at the time.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I have a shi tzu/poodle mix and a lhasa apso. Both are great dogs.

Other breeds I like:

Old English sheepdogs
    Airedale terriers
    Dachshunds
    Irish wolfhounds

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

labs!!!!!!!

my golden lab is so sweet. she's amazingly smart when she wants to be, gets along with everyone she meets, cuddles like no other dog i've met, never poops or pees inside, never barks unless she hears noise outside my door or a knock, entertains herself easily, and she's just so damn cute. i don't think i'll ever own a different breed.

16. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My Jack Russell is pretty awesome, but is not for everyone. She might be a Beagle mix but looks much more like a Jack Russell.

She is predictably hyper and again, not for everyone, but on more than one occasion she's put herself in danger to protect my other, more docile dogs.

If you want a smaller, energetic dog and have enough room for them to run around, I suggest a Jack Russell.

Once my current dogs succumb to mother nature I'll be looking to get a bigger protective dog for the family I will likely have by then. Have no idea what breeds would be best for this though. Friendly and protective seems to be a hard combination to find.