1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In 20+ years as a Rockets fan, I've never felt less interested in the Rockets' future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 24, 2020.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is the best scene in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, in my opinion, and it almost sounds like Samwise is talking to the lost fans out there.

So for all of you feeling lost:

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

HST

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sports are fun until they are not... Good luck.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Gotta disagree. Russ spent a few months adjusting to being on a new team for the first time since his rookie year, and had to figure out how he fit in with that team's established superstar. Those first few months were ugly but necessary. What we've seen in the last month is proof that he's smart enough to have figured it out to a great extent. Not that we won't see the occasional ugly game again, but I don't expect that to be a regular thing anymore.

Not gonna argue with you on that one. :(

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Harden didn’t “earn a title” in 17-18. Don’t be ridiculous. I’m right there with you on the other aspects of your point though.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

The NBA in general is not fun to watch this year. Not sure why. Maybe the the XFL will fill the void.

7. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Sorry to interrupt your pity party, but Vegas has us 5th most likely to win the championship this year out of a 30 team league.

Hakeemtheking, D-rock and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My rock bottom was third season of tmac and Yao. Never could stay healthy. Never got that last pieces. Team morale tanked after asset trade deadline. Over performing scrubs turned into pumpkins in the playoffs. Again and again

groundhogs day for four straight seasons of never seeing the teams full potential.

Longtooth complaining i can understand, but not this season...

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed! And I didn't even read the OP post. But I know I agree.

D-rock and Severe Rockets Fan like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can’t blame them after all the years the team has gone out of their way to market the team to foreign countries and large corporations

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yep, I feel the same...don’t even watch them beat the bad teams...hell, they struggle against bad teams on any given night. I thought the Westbrook/Paul trade was horrible from the start but they puked away our future in the process when Tilman pulled the trigger on that. This team may be able to put up some numbers when everyone is on and Harden is actually having a good game...but our D sucks arse...and that ain’t going to change anytime soon.

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

There’s no positivity allowed in this thread...the door is that way kind sir! :)

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I feel you to Mathloom but I'm about as excited as I've ever been. Despite the owner who I am beginning to believe is an a$$hat.

The reason I'm excited is for two reasons.

The first has to do with the nature of what makes basketball fun to watch. For me, basketball is like jazz. When the musicians are in sync and find the next level in their playing together there's nothing like it. Something like magic happens. I see this occasionally wth the Rockets as led by Harden. To have that level happen there's got to be trust between the players and joy when they play together. Harden and CP3 had it in the beginning but lost it. I see it between Harden and Westbrook (and EG and Clint) but I think they are still trying to find how how they (collectively) take the team to the next level and often it looks like crap. But there is enough "magic" that I'm hopeful they'll figure it out by playoff time.

The second reason is also my biggest concern. I'm not sure MDA is the guy that can get this ensemble of players to the next level. I mostly believe he can but I'm not sure. He looks tired and about ready to give up. I hope it's just because he's tired and the ASG will give him a chance to think through what he's learned about the new team with Westbrook.

The title winning GSW were under-performers under Mark Jackson. They had talent but Mark Jackson couldn't take it to the next level. In walks Steve Kerr and you get a dynasty. IMO those guys weren't all stars (except Curry maybe) before Steve Kerr. Then with Steve Kerr you had a system that turned the whole into something greater than the sum of the parts.

I'm not sure MDA can do it. I hope he can. Westbrook as grown on me. Harden is getting better (as if that's possible). I like our chances in any series.

bloodwings19 likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

just off the top of my head, players i'd rather have at center than p***y capela:

embiid
    jokic
    gobert
    brook
    adams
    KAT
    porzingas
    turner
    LMA
    donkey
    valanciunas

15. JazzLakerHater

My declining interest in the team is all because of one person: Mr. Tilman Fertita.

I just have this sick feeling in my gut that after the season ends, and we inevitably fall short of a title, this man is going to do something really stupid and overreact. Just like last year he overreacted to and traded CP3, he’s going to overreact and blame this on Morey.

pugsly8422 and D-rock like this.
  16. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

as a 25 year fan, i somewhat feel the same. it feels hopeless. I don't have much faith in the personnel we've assembled. we're also cancerous to watch 85% of the time, the other 15% is either harden going off or an anomaly.

i still remain interested and watch many of the games... but i've just been around too long to really think we have a shot at winning anything.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you forgot Dwight

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Such a great scene. I don't recall it being in the book, at least quite that way, but it was perfect for the film and in that moment. Sean Astin as Samwise reached his peak as an actor, in my opinion. I seriously doubt if he'll ever have another role approaching that one, or a script as generous to him as Jackson's LOTR.

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

nah bro, i think he fouls out in the 1st Q every nite without that fakers jersey on

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman - Gollum?

D-rock and Easy like this.