1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Improving our bench

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, May 12, 2018.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

These games where we let great pitching go to waste are really frustrating me. Part of the issue is we're getting no production from DH and little from LF. However, when you look at our bench we don't have much in the way hitting help.

Fisher and Marisnick have struck out 69 times in 144 ABs, and have a combined BA of .167. Yes they help when we need speed on the base paths or defense in the OF, but at the plate its been more famine than feast.

Stassi has been a pleasant surprise and maybe he needs more ABs at DH.

With Springer potentially out for a few games, we'll get a heavier dose of Jake and Derek. Hopefully, they come around, but looking at the minors is it time to bring JD Davis back or someone else to help with our bench and DH?

Or maybe we keep faith and stay the course and I'm the only one that is frustrated at this point.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is being discussed at length in other threads.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

True. But a lot of it ends up in game threads where its not always easy to find and they disappear off the first page once a new series begins.

But I admit, participation for threads intended to organize discussions is usually pretty low.

4. bobrek

In a nutshell...

- most posters agree that Fisher, Marisnick and Gattis have been black holes
    - Fisher is the only one who could be easily moved
    - Marisnick and/or Gattis would need to approve any demotion and it is doubtful either would
    - Astros could go with 1 less pitcher and Sipp is the obvious candidate. It would cost $4,000,000+ to buy him out
    - Davis, White, Kemp and Tucker are the most likely to be brought up
    - Tucker probably won't be brought up until super 2 deadline is passed. Once brought up, he'll be plugged into lineup.

Houstunna, awc713 and DudeWah like this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All of that plus F#ck The Rangers.

6. Major

Major Member

Another possible but sketchy solution is to DL someone like Marisnick or Gattis (injury: inability to hit a baseball). That gives you some flexibility to experiment.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It would have to be something kinda real to get more than 10 days out of it, wouldn't it?

8. bobrek

Reason for 60 day DL - extensive eye/hand coordination testing. mental health evaluation.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sounds pretty patchy to me :D

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Astros in trading, releasing younger players have really hurt the team. J.D Martinez, now Teoscar Hernandez, Lefty we need Josh Hader throwing 100 mph. A lot of older players not producing, Gattis, Mcann, Marwin looking like bench player again. Ken Giles is the closer still Why? Astros really need new talent call up right now,in the bullpen. Kyle Tucker deserved to make the Roster after a great spring. Ken Giles needs to be traded for prospects, along with Collin McHugh.

11. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Lol. This isn’t 2013. We’re not gonna be trading away big league talent for prospects.

12. bobrek

Why is Ken Giles the closer? This year he is 5-5 in save opportunities. He has allowed one baserunner (erased on a DP) in those 5 opportunities. I will say this again, had that one total blow up against the Yankees in the tie game not occurred, Giles would be on a 10 game streak of facing the minimum number of batters (1 hit allowed, no walks, obviously 0 runs) in those 10 appearances.

In saving games, this and last regular seasons, Giles is among the elite. 39 of 43.

Removing Giles from the closer's role is clearly not a priority at this time (nor should it be).

MrBear1, awc713 and cmlmel77 like this.
  13. bobrek

Also...you do realize the team that was constructed last year (minus Martinez, Hernandez, Hader, etc...) did win the World Series last year, don't you? You do realize that had those moves not been made, no telling what the Astros would have done last season, don't you?

I, and I think most every fan, would gladly trade any of those moves for a World Series title.

texans1095 likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trading For Carlos Gomez was the biggest mistake, Domingo Santana, Josh Hader, Maverick, Adrian Houser. Those players could've been useful. Santana hit 30 home runs last year. We sure could use him at left field, Josh Hader is a elite reliever, Closer for sure. It's about evaluating, and keeping higher upside guys,instead throwing 4 prospects for 1. Verlander trade was definitely worth even though those prospects will be very good.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I started the thread because I usually don't play in the game threads--I just watch the games.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. I really think we have some guys at AAA who deserve a shot--Davis and Tucker who I like the best. A lefty reliever like Hand would be awesome if we don't have to give up our Tucker, Alvarez or Whitley.

As far as guys we've given up, no GM is perfect, but ours put together a World Champion. Now, we see some holes that need to be fixed and there are probably some moves that will be made--hopefully soon. Springer getting dinged right when he's getting hot was unfortunate, but the other guys have got to step up, especially at home.

The Rockets brought in Drexler to win their second championship, I don't believe we need a major talent injection like that, but we do need some help. Here's hoping its being worked on now.

16. bobrek

Why even talk what any of these guys did last year? Big deal, Santana hit 30 HRs. The Astros won a World Series.

Sure Hader would be a nice addition. Let’s not forget that Fiers led the team in innings pitched and held things together in the summer when the rest of the staff was bad or injured.

texans1095 and awc713 like this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Astros brought in Cole, who just might win the AL Cy Young.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Never should have traded Joe Morgan. That’s the main reason we will never win a championship..... or something like that

19. Major

Major Member

Or maybe if the Astros don't trade for Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers, history plays out differently and they don't win the World Series last year. Maybe we don't make the playoffs in 2015, or the season falls apart last year without Fiers (!) holding down the fort through injuries, and thus we don't ever make the trade for Verlander. What we know is all those trades and moves resulted in a World Series.

Would you rather have that WS, or would you rather have all these guys on the team right now?

Santana currently has 0.650 OPS, by the way. I'm not sure how he helps at left field today.

20. Buck Turgidson

More accurate.

bobrek likes this.