1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Im trying to cut the cord, but the obstacles are too great.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 22, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Os Trigonum, question for you to help me with the Spurs game tonight. Last time I had NBALP, if I was behind time when the game ended, it would stop playing and go to Archive Mode, and not become available for another 3 hours, or so.

Does that still happen? I can't watch the Spurs game live tonight, but would buy it as a Single Game, as long as it will let me watch it when I get home.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you know honestly I can't tell you at this point. I know they have said in the past there's a three hour delay, but I don't know if that's still the case

3. heypartner

Have you ever been just 15 minutes behind after a game ends. It cuts out even if you are watching ... but behind Live.

If you know you've been behind Live at the end, and it didn't cut out, then that's probably all I need to know.

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that hasn't happened since we upgraded to fiber optic from dsl . . . we've had no delays now for a long time, and even on dsl I used to just fast forward when it was getting boggy to stay as close to live as I could. don't know what to tell you. sorry

heypartner likes this.
  5. heypartner

Well, I'll just buy the game and report back. thx

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

if you're going out to eat or something like that you can always do it transistor radio style like they did in the 1950s, wire up an earbud from you phone and listen to the game while pretending to enjoy your dinner company :D

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

For those of you cutting the cord, how much money are you actually saving? I tried cutting the cord, but then found myself paying for Hulu, Netflix and Sling TV. Internet was $80/month, those other services were $40/month combined. I got a cable package with the same internet and it was $120/month. Choice was easy.

LonghornFan likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am curious to know your current cost and what your cord cutting costs are...

I am gusssing it’s less about money and more about what u get for the same amount.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fwiw I just started the archived game about 15 or so minutes after the broadcast ended. It came right up for me on LP already. You should be in good shape when you get home

10. heypartner

yeah, it worked. And I love now that they have the timeline auto-hide, because it's a big spoiler for OT games, otherwise. It used to stay up for the whole game, and also have annoying highlight markers, that if you accidentally hovered over then they pop-up more spoilers for you. sigh.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Between Hulu, Netflix, youtube (regular, not the TV) and Reddit NBA streams I've been good.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Is Hulu the only one with an Unlimited screens option? Or At least 3 screens at one time?

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I went with Hulu + Live TV for now. I forgot I get HBO free because of unlimited data plan thru AT&T (saves $15). I got Comcast Gigspeed (1000 mbps) for $89 for 2 years, but had to add $50 unlimited plan because we kept going over (I wish AT&T would get off their asses and offer AT&T fiber in my neighborhood...which they supposedly laid the fiber for 3 years ago. AT&T cheaper and their 1 GB plan includes no data cap). So, I paying slightly less combined (after taxes) what I was paying with the Comcast TV bundle with only 150mbps download and 1 Gb data cap. However, I don't have to worry about overages ($10 per 50GB up to $200). The problem was, Comcast was going up in price for the package I had (almost $60). To get a package that was only went up $15-$20, they wanted a 2 year contract. The faster internet with with no cap was the main goal, wasn't expecting to save much money on the monthly bill, just didn't want it to go up.

I really thought about FuboTV for ATT sports net SW. But the lack of ESPN (No HBO was going to be a no-go, until I remembered my free HBO thru my cell plan) and no Xbox One App was going to be an issue.

Now, I hope ATT sports net SW expands it streaming availability. Until then, I have to find a way to watch the Rockets and Astros.

14. body slam

body slam Member

for local channels depending on where you live rabbit ears or antenna . You might be able to hook on to your coax cable and press scan if you are close to the city.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

For me, Hulu + Live TV has locals.

16. body slam

body slam Member

but you are paying for it. I look at cutting the cord as getting away from payments.

17. likestohypeguy

Youtube tv is good, except no comedy central, and their interface needs work Their tv guide is horrible, and it's buggy sometimes, will play random different content than what you clicked on. And forget channel surfing, casual watching live I still prefer satellite- Ofc nothing is as good as when we had actual cable, instantaneous channel changing.

DirecTV, YoutubeTV, Netflix, Hulu, amazon video, and occasionally hbo for a single month then cxl to catch up on certain series (are there new west world episodes yet btw?), but instead of cutting the cord, I've just added a bunch of new cords.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So what is the advantage?

I WANT to cut the cord.

I'm paying $110 a month right now for comcast internet and cable combined. We also pay for Netflix.

If I drop the cable I'll be at like $60 for internet after taxes. Am I going to save notable money after I add everything in?

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

honestly I don't think so. My sense is that it all sort of evens out any way you slice it. My Sling bill (with blue and orange packages, plus NBA TV add-on) is $45/month, League Pass is $29/month, and that's before Netflix/Hulu/amazon prime. Our internet for high speed fiber is $100/month.

so anyway you slice it, it's going to cost money.

20. conquistador#11

Spotify is offering Hulu when you subscribe for the $10 package. I'm thinking about signing up but I don't know if Hulu discontinues after a month or what. Contacted their customer service still no reply. Anyone have this?