1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iko Exclusive: P.J. Tucker confident in signing a new deal— “Its now. It’s time for my extension"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Aug 20, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Some direct comparisons are Shane Battier and Trevor Ariza. Batter didn't make it past 35 and Ariza is showing some signs of decline at 33. It's playing with fire, surely. I think we should extend him, but I don't think he should demand huge money. This shouldn't be a Chris Paul 2.0 situation.

2. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The way PJ spends money I would not be surprised if hes expecting a supermax.

pippendagimp likes this.
  3. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Does he realize he will be 36? Hopefully he doesn't end up like Sprewell or Antoine Walker

BallSoHarden likes this.
  4. vick

vick Member

Tuckers 401k is his shoe collection.

BallSoHarden and pippendagimp like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i love tuck but i don't understand a lot of his decisions. aside from his foolish spending habits, 2 things in particular make no sense to me. 1) he eats A LOT of crap, ie pancakes and sugar drinks everyday and 2) i don't get how he changes shoes not just from game to game, but quarter to quarter and often with brand new pairs. i mean how does he get used to them or wear them in at all??!

BallSoHarden and vick like this.
  6. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Wait till end of season

7. PatBev

PatBev Member

I would only pay what he’s worth. I would hope to have a younger guy to develop for the future. We need to start getting a little younger as James and Westbrook creep into their 30s

Morey hasn’t done his job if PJ still starting in 2 years

BallSoHarden likes this.
  8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

He's looking for extra security, and since this would likely be his last contract, he'd probably be retiring a Rocket. I think we could get away with 2 years in the 20 million range. His last year isn't even fully guaranteed and he still has 2 years left on his current deal. This may not happen, simply because he's not even expiring... Can't offer 4 years because at 38 were not aloud to offer him that much.

9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Dont have an issue with that...but i would wait til this year it over to do anything else in term of extension...this year they should atleast just guarantee to the salary for next year and then talk about extension.

He is old....so big money is not in his future....same rate or lower for another 2 years....sure.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

idk why yall are worrying that we are gonna overpay PJ .... remember who is in charge ?

Tilman isnt gonna sacrifice the flexibility of the team to sign PJ to a big deal. Also he isnt gonna sacrifice having to pay more money than hes already gonna get.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

a lot of people actually doubted you PJ especially on cf’s but they definitely know now. Well anyone that has at least a decent level of b-ball iq

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

PJ gonna be 36 next year, not sure what he's expecting at this point in his career.

He's clearly still very good for what he is, if he were 28 he would easily land a multi-year 15+ mill per year deal, but at his age, with our salary, our owner, the league and cap during Covid, he'd be lucky to get a 2/20 deal at this point.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

2/20 would be a fair deal for PJ.

IvanLCPM and Nook like this.
  14. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Agreed

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No less than the supermax for PJ THICC.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Mazulis likes this.
  17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Lets see what the odds are of getting what he wants from the Rockets

1. With the mega deals Harden and Westbrook have and the cap going down we are up against the cap for sure now despite trading Capela.
    2. Tucks age
    3. You know Tillman really won't go over the tax now that he lost 1/3 of the season plus post season revenue.

18. fattz

fattz Member

His position has value because look at what Luc was paid to finish out the year with us. I would not be surprised if there was a understanding between him & Morey already because he wanted more money a few years back and then went silent. A LOW BUT LONG solid deal is coming. A deal were he will net more over all. Morey tends to overpay so this should be interesting.

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

that would be great. But I doubt it’s more than two years guaranteed

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the type of deal the Rockets could do with PJ Tucker is something similar to what the Heat did with an aging Andre Iguodala. A SHORT 2 year deal with a TEAM OPTION on the 2nd year. If PJ plays well, the team picks it up. An aging Tucker gets a salary boost and the team is protected with the short contract. So maybe a 2yr 24M deal that paid PJ 12M+12M. Something like that.

hakeem94 and jch1911 like this.