1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iko Exclusive: P.J. Tucker confident in signing a new deal— “Its now. It’s time for my extension"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Aug 20, 2019.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

?

I'm not sure you understand it all?
    PJ is locked up 2 more seasons at 8mill per. The 2nd of those years he turns 36 (and the 8mil is not fully guaranteed - he still gets paid it if he can produce).

We need to be looking for his younger replacement over the next 2 years, not giving a 37 year old 6'6 PF a contract....

Why does it make sense to sign a 37 year old??

Mazulis, GotGame15 and cheke64 like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm not sure you understand it at all as its been posted mutiple times now. that last year isn't fully guaranteed yet you still keep saying hes getting $8 mil

so what if hes 36. he isn't the focal point of the offense, he has a role and hes damn good at it. he'll be here for the duration of harden's prime tenure.

HP3 likes this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I just dont know about paying PJ...

I love the dude... admire his hustle and tenacity... defensive effort... how he does all the dirty work that doesnt necessarily show up on the stat sheet...

all that said... I'd like us to get bigger at the pf position... we need more rebounding and rim protection from that slot...

ideally I'd like to see PJ split time between pf and sf... bang with the bigs half the time and run with the sfs the rest... prob is PJ aint no spring chicken... idk if he's got it in the tank for a few more years...

I just dont know how much longer PJ can hold a starting position - and get starter money...

I would love to see PJ retire a Rocket 25mpg as the 6th/7th man for the next few years... but idk if thats realistic when lined up with his salary expectation...

jboslett and GotGame15 like this.
  4. kjayp

he said he'd get paid if he could produce... the last year isnt guaranteed - but if he's worth it - he'll be retained and thus get the paycheck...

If we were to fully guarantee that last year - cool...

If we're paying for production past the 2 years... idk if thats a wise investment...

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

already posted this. don't see the issue with fully guaranteeing the last year and another year or two. nobody is saying break the damn bank. your outlook is harden's 3-4 year window. if that's not the big picture then blow it up then if that's not your #1 priority

but again LTS rules everything. for a team operating over the cap regardless, people sure seem to be invested in someone else's willingness to shell out money to put the best pieces that fit around their star player. maybe well hit year 4 of that and then tilman and co can be like we're ready to spend now. By then cf's will probably have moved onto there's no point in paying tax now, the rockets are rebuilding.

#105 YOLO, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  6. kjayp

so hes under contract for this year @ 34 years... and next year (although not fully guaranteed) @ 35 years...
    so what r u willing to offer a 36-37 year old PJ if willing to extend another couple years? or beyond that?
    keeping in mind we just signed a 36 yo Tyson Chandler for around 2.6M...

not trying to be argumentative or snarky or nothing... jus wondering...

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

According to deadspin, Tilman makes money and puts the money on his wallet, but not on Championship.

Why not spend on Tucker?

Tilman has made $170 million in two year including team value increases.

Why not spend 17 million @ 10% on Championship?

Are the luxury tax profit on his wallet too?

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

considering mle money has been sitting since the last year you can start there.

TC is at a completely different stage of his career compared to PJ.

9. JW86

JW86 Member

It was nice to know you Tucker.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think Tilman should be pressured to give him the max possible.

No sense in trying to actually critically think about whether players are worth something or not.

Just spend and spend and spend.

And then get really angry if he doesn’t spend.

11. kjayp

thats why i compare a 36 yo TC - to a 36 yo PJ (where he will be when the existing 2 years ends...)
    I'd b willing to add 1 year at 8-12M... figuring he'll prob be worth 4-6M at 36 yo - whatever else is just to keep him happy for the 2 years of his existing contract...

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

which i don't believe is such a crazy idea. but unfortunately, we do see how the rockets are operating $ wise these days, so good luck to these guys

kjayp likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Deuce and YOLO like this.
  14. caneks

caneks Rookie

Pay everyone and raise ticket price by 50% to 100%.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes - if he plays he gets the money. Simple. The partial guarantee is useful in case his game falls off a cliff and the Rockets want to waive him.

You think he'll be as good at his current role in his 3rd season from now as he was last year? Interesting. Normally when players age over 35 there is a fair amount of decline.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

You have no idea how he’ll turn out. If he’s so close to such a decline why did he just have one of the best years ever in his career at this point of his career. Oh nvm that’s bc he fits and knows exactly what he needs to do here. Y’all act like he’s out there having to be the focal point of a team and just being worked tirelessly. Stop the dramatics ffs

#116 YOLO, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

Definitely agree you guarantee that contract for 2020-2021, he's earned that and it shows respect!

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

plays the most minutes behind harden and every game

HP3 likes this.
  19. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Based off history of the likes of Carmelo ,CP3 and many others ,players entering their 13 or 14th season ,in cp3 case it was his 13th they decline in performance time and time again .Rumor has it hes the last living dinosaur, but thats another topic for another time, Lol,no morey should not extend him this cp3 all aover again and if one thing youve learned about the whole cp3 ordeal is that you should not extend aging players ,ok morey?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

their history is being at a completely different level compared to PJ so not really a good comparison there. no idea why people are trying to put PJ in the same category as these other guys as far as workload, who clearly have been a focal point of teams for years. funny how the rockets have mle money just sitting pretty since last year and you have guys in here trying to say no PJ doesn't deserve some sort of extension, when hes only guaranteed 2.5 mil after this year. lmao. LTS Tilman has done a wonderful job brainwashing folks

lets just put this out their for the record:

he's peaking late. His minutes jumped from 27 to 34 yet his 3pt%, BPM, WS/48, VORP, all improved. He doesn't have a lot of miles on those legs due to only sporadically playing in Europe and being a role player in the NBA all these years.

#120 YOLO, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    HP3 likes this.