1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ignoring midrange will kill us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Oct 11, 2017.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Sam, I think its more embarrassing that you only come out of the woodshed when the 3 ball is on like that. You HAVE to switch it up. If you're 3 ball isn't falling you take an open midrange which is a layup...you can't be this dumb. After multiple series of getting our offense shut down its amazing you continue to be so deluded. I think you yourself need to understand what you're saying because it is mind-numbingly insane...you're saying that a versatile offense is a bad thing. Whether it be switching it up just 2-3x to keep the defense on it's toes...you're saying that they need to run up and do the same thing every play.

GS is arguably the best 3pt shooting team in NBA history, they take way more midrange shots than us...I think its fair to say that armchair Fisher hasn't figured out some big secret the entire NBA is still oblivious to.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

at the same time you dont abandon the core identity of your team. yeah its nice to mix it up but its so easy to say stop shooting the 3 when you know its a miss after the fact. thats just hindsight. but in no way do i want the rockets to stop taking the shots they have all year and what makes them the team they are. that 50 pt 3rd quarter is exactly why you dont go away from what your team does. you miss the shots you dont take.

topfive and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I don't want the rockets to stop shooting the 3 either. I want them to be versatile. I don't want them to stop putting points on the board. They need to keep shooting 3s, but when its not falling and there is an open midrange they need to take it.

OTMax likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

understandable definitely but we should realize by now that the majority of their shots will come from the 3. the difference this year though is that they do have the capability of winning games on the defensive end. which are those ugly games which we will see where you need stops when you absolutely need it.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you're right when their threes wasn't falling falling in the 1st quarter they should have just shot all midrange the rest of the game o_Oo_Oo_O

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I don't get it, do you actually read anything?

Its extremely irritating when you start your Bobby act and vomit posts. Go back and read what I said, it does the you, me, and the entire forum a disservice. I have always argued for the 3 ball being our main offense, in times of the entire team going cold for half the quarter it doesn't hurt to put points on the board through an open shot. It also prevents the momentum swing. CP3 (the highest IQ player in the league) understands this, and does it btw. The GSW, the 2x champs and best shooting team ever do as well.

But no vlaurelio and samfisher have figured it out.

OTMax likes this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

agreed. defense has been nothing short of amazing for the season.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

lets say cp3 is on the 3 pt line in the spot where he has the most 3s all season long.. opponents are daring him to shoot.. everyone else is covered that's the best shot he got available..

you want him to just let it fly or hesitate and think how many he missed already?

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We didn't figure it out - the best team in the NBA, with the best offense and one of the greatest offensive forces in league history (for the second consecutive year) did. Last year and this year's Rockets are among the most fearsome offensive machines in league history. This year's squad (tied with last year's squad at 114.7) probably could have hit number 1 or at least cracked the top 5 had they any reason to play hard over the last month of the season.

You're the clowny clownowitz who thinks you know better, and your reaction to a historic blitzkrieg of greatness is to launch into a hissyfit about your e-pride.

Hang your head in shame.

Hang your head in shame.

Os Trigonum and Swiss Roll like this.
  10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

The thing is, and the team has said it themselves, is this is their identity. This is the way they have played all season. They trust in this way of play and are not going to change it now

topfive likes this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This has nothing to do with BBIQ and everything to do with player ability. Chris Paul can hit midrange shots at 54%, which is very good. He shoots them because he can make them, not because he is "smart enough to understand" something that nobody else on the team does. Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Steph Curry are 3 of the best midrange shooters in the league. Curry hits 60% from midrange, Durant 50%, and Klay 49%, that's why they take them.

Meanwhile, Harden shoots midrange at 39%, Eric Gordon at 32%. The shooters we have on this roster are not great midrange shooters. If the rockets had 3 of the best midrange shooters in the league like the warriors, they would take more of these shots.

12. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

What was the offensive rating compared to last year? Hint it’s not that far off.

What is the current offensive rating in the post season, and how similar is it to previous years?

You’re probably the most disengenuous poster on here. Nobody has a problem wihat how they performed in the RS, there’s a reason we’re in the post season and it’s plain that the rockets have played 2 good halves of basketball and 6 underwhelming shaky ones. You’re trying to parrot your narrative with RS stats when one of the cornerstones of this issue is the lack of tranlatability to the post season. The irony here is that you just made a bunch of clown statements—you refuse to look at anything past the box score. It was the same old story last season and I hope it isn’t this time around. What won’t change? How you crawl back under the covers when you’ve been proven wrong time and time again.

I hope they figure it out and play well, I really do. And of course I realize that me complaining and voicing my concerns won’t do anything, but it’s what we as fans of the game do.

#412 LosPollosHermanos, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It is a sad individual who covers himself in year old manure rather than basking in the luxurious glow of yet another *historic* playoff performance.

You're doing fandom all wrong, friend.

Defending your nonexistent internet rep for a bunch of randos the morning after a glorious evening by attempting to shine a 2 year old turd = not the right way to be a fan.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

@LosPollosHermanos don't worry, you're not going to convince people who blindly look at stats. Offensive rating / efficiency from BR or NBA.com or whatever is highly skewed due to our strategy of FTs, threes and lay-ups / dunks. That's why our effect FG% and that of Harden is very high even though he's not the best shooter and his normal FG% is average. Stats tell just one side of the story.

If you cannot see that part of why we struggle is our strategy then you're not being honest. We are not going to change our stripes completely, but to ask for a little diversity and adapting - one of the most critical points by many around the league - is not too much and some variety and unpredictability could mean the difference between WCF exit or NBA champion in my opinion.

I understand we are just trying something since Morey figures along with probably 99% of the executives around the league that you cannot beat the Warriors with "just" 1 star or even 2 and a regular offense. It's debatable, but do people really think if the Warriors adopted our strategy that they'd be this dominant? I don't think so, over a 7-game series the good teams will take away our Capela lobs, pick and roll etc. and will maybe bank on us making our threes since we do not have enough high % shooters from there.

Now if you ask me, am I biased? Sure, we all are. I dislike watching Rockets basketball when shots are not falling and they refuse to mix it up. I hate guys ignoring a huge part of the court simply because stats tell you it's not a good shot. Still, I could get beyond our strategy IF you have Gordon, Ryno, Reddick, Bellinelli, Ilyasova, Korver and Klay on your roster. You need enough good to great shooters to make this work. Then still I don't think you can win a championship, since teams will take away your threes and or there will be games when you cannot count on them.

Our variety comes from Harden & CP3 iso, I get that too. So we are not just a 3pt shooting team, but that is a risky strategy as well given Harden cannot take the physicality every single game, tends to put his guard down and expects to get a whistle. CP3 is a different story, but for both counts the fact that since we only have one guy who can cleanly catch the ball on a cut to the basket and finish in Mbah a Moute, it means A) Harden or CP3 go for their own shot B) try to give Capela the ball close to the basket (lob) or C) kick out for the 3. Tucker and Ariza cut to the basket rarely and do not really know what to do with it, Gordon tends to lose the ball and Green should be good at it but he just doesn't do it.

All in all, there's a lot more to it than just shooting more mid-range shots or doubling down on threes. Many try to make a mockery of me and this thread, and the few who support my POV, but they know despite all the great things we've achieved in the regular season, the play-offs are a different animal and it's unlikely we win a trophy the way we play unless somehow 2 of our average 3pt shooters all of a sudden start hitting 37-40% from downtown for more than half of our games in a series. Maybe defense will get us there though, but I'm not sold on our strategy yet.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

This thread!

I call this my "comedy thread" and always come back to it when I'm feeling down and need something to lift my spirits.

"You know, the Beatles and Led Zep will never amount to much if they keep refusing to add in a jazz tune once in a while. Not every song on every album is great."

#415 topfive, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Invisible Fan, J Sizzle and SamFisher like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean you were never sold on hou from day 1 of the season against GS. then to date the rockets have gone to be 68-18 and counting. proven to be the top of many different analysis. if you don't understand what the rockets are by now which most have awhile ago, then you probably won't ever. and if you say youre waiting for them to win a championship to be sold then that doesn't really mean much tbh.

you might as well join bbholic and his capela waiting for a championship to prove hes a good player logic in the corner

topfive likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

July: "Sure, they won a title. But they'll never repeat as champs if they keep ignoring the midrange shots."

SamFisher likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol or they got lucky they hit their 3s. they could of easily missed a few of those and loss

topfive likes this.
  19. OTMax

OTMax Member

See this is why you cannot discuss anything with some of you.

20. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

This argument only holds if we hit the midrange at 1.5x the rate we hit the 3. Even if we hit the three point shot at a 30% clip, we're still at an eFG% of league average for 2pt/midrange shots.

However, I do agree that if Harden and CP3, and only those two, are open at midrange, they should take it. Only makes us that much more difficult to guard. We just initiate the PnR so high that it usually means a 3pt shot.

harold bingo likes this.