1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Those numbers I posted are for total contract value.

Wheeler is making a fraction of his market value as he is on an arbitration contract. $50M/3 years is easily his floor.

Miley took a 1 year make good deal and has far outperformed his salary. He’s going to get a 2-3 year deal for >$10M/yr.

Grandal was saddled with a QO so his market dried up. He can’t be QO’ed this offseason and will be the only star catcher available. $40M/3yrs is his absolute floor and I won’t be surprised to see him get double that.

PuzzledFan likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They will not trade Greinke. They would not have given up all those prospects for him had they not expected to keep him thru his contract.

CheezeyBoy22 and Jeremy Williams like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Who could be the next...

Cole: Jon Gray
    Morton: Jordan Lyles
    Miley: Homer Bailey

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  4. Jeremy Williams

IMO, we didn't acquire Greinke on an extended year deal to try and trade him at the end of this season.

CheezeyBoy22, texans1095 and BigM like this.
  5. Jeremy Williams

With our budget constraints, I'm not sure we can even afford these. 2 biggest priorities should be the 2 catchers. I really think we will try and attempt to retain Maldonado and/or Chirinos. Verlander will advocate strongly for Chirinos.

6. Jeremy Williams

HA! How could I forget Yordan!?!

CheezeyBoy22 and H-Town Info like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If (big IF) they win it all, AND they trade Reddick, and they non-tender Sanchez, they should have $20-35M to spend. When you figure Morton cost $8M/yr when Houston signed him, Miley $4.5, and Cole $8M on arb, they could afford 2 of those and still add catchers (say Chirinos for $7M, and Avila for $4M):

Springer
    Bregman
    Brantley
    Altuve
    Alvarez
    Correa
    Gurriel
    Tucker
    Chirinos
    Diaz, Avila, Marisnick, Straw/Toro
    Verlander, Greinke, McCullers, Bailey, Lyles
    Peacock, TBD young arm x2, Biagini, Devenski, James, Pressly, Osuna

#167 Snake Diggit, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  8. Jeremy Williams

Well, now you found a spot for Alvarez, whom I left out. Pencil in another $600,000.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  9. Jeremy Williams

I think it’s more likely we keep Sanchez, assuming his arm didn’t fall off and he’s able to pitch next year.

I really don’t see the desire in switching catchers. We have found two catchers that work extremely well with our staff, are fairly affordable, and want to be in Houston.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like Avila as part of a platoon because he’s left handed, hits for power, walks a lot, has experience catching both Verlander and Greinke, and is likely to be cheaper than Chirinos or Maldonado.

Nook likes this.
  11. Jeremy Williams

Good reasoning. I guess I would like to hear Verlander’s opinion on it.

12. Buck Turgidson

Is he any good at catching, though? Honest question. He's caught JV about 150 games over several years and Greinke 9, so I'm not sure how much that would factor in.

This was an interesting read: https://www.azsnakepit.com/2019/6/17/18660746/alex-avila-year-diamondbacks

Who's the other half of your platoon? If you could swing Chirinos and Avila you're absolutely on to something.

Nook, Snake Diggit and H-Town Info like this.
  13. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Thank you, well explained.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. theimpossibles1

Good to see that 8% of people are realistic.

Of the other 92% I would assume they mostly just don't understand baseball or don't follow it closely enough to know we can't just "pay the man" without tearing our team apart.

#174 theimpossibles1, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  15. Buck Turgidson

I think the Stros should either let him walk or pay him, depending on all of the other factors this offseason.

Nook, rockbox, Gray_Jay and 5 others like this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Could have just kept Dallas and Charlie. They will probably get shorter deals and combined make less that Cole. Paying an almost 30 year old pitcher a long term 30+ million dollar deal doesn't sound smart.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Profound observation Buck.

It really cuts to the heart of the matter.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Keuchel reportedly wanted 5 guaranteed years at over $100 million. Astros offered him one and two year deals that he turned down.

19. vince

vince Member

Keutchel has pitched relatively well for the Braves. He’s 8-6 with a 3.63 ERA in 101 innings and a WHIP of 1.33

I liked Keutchel and he’s probably established himself a solid market value contract, with his current production. I think he’s going to be just fine, it sucks his agent fed him a pie in the sky and probably why he isn’t on the Astros right now.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would be pretty funny if Houston signed Keuchel this offseason once his market doesn’t deliver again (they don’t stand to gain a draft pick if he signs elsewhere this time).