1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Or Scott Boras hat giveaways when Yankees visit MMP.

lw17 likes this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

We'd have to get permission from Boras to do that, though. But knowing how greedy he is I'm sure he'd love the free advertising.

lw17 likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jayson Stark of The Athletic hears that the Phillies intended to add "at least" two starters in the offseason.
    Stark hears that the Phillies would prefer to add one big multi-year starter, while the other(s) being added on a one-year deal or via trade. Stark also notes that Philadelphia will "stay in the mix" with Gerrit Cole, but it'll have to be a Jake Arrieta type situation where the team is one of the last few standing. The Phillies have been linked to Cole Hamels for obvious reasons, as well, but it appears that there will be multiple additions to the Philadelphia rotation for the 2020 campaign.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that the Padres are not expected to sign Stephen Strasburg or Gerrit Cole.
    There has been a lot of talk about Strasburg being a potential fit for the Padres based on his connection to the area -- he was as dominant as you can be while a member of San Diego State -- but it appears that the asking price for Strasburg and fellow ace Cole is going to be too rich for San Diego to pay. Acee mentions that someone like Zack Wheeler is much more likely for the Padres on a four-to-five year deal at $16-20 million annually. Expect Strasburg and Cole to get considerably more than that this winter.

Andy Martino of SNY reports that Gerrit Cole isn't expected to sign with a club until at least January.
    Cole is considered one of the "big three" free agents of the 2020 class along with Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon. While Martino hears that Cole is unlikely to sign until the beginning of the new year at the earliest, he does report that both Strasburg and Rendon could move quicker than anticipated. As you likely recall, we had to wait until spring training for the biggest names of last year's class -- Bryce Harper and Manny Machado -- before they picked their new teams. It appears we won't have to wait that long for Cole, Strasburg and Rendon, but we won't know Cole's new team for a bit.

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/sou...trasburg-rendon-could-decide-sooner/311777014

According to industry sources, agent Scott Boras has indicated to teams that Cole is unlikely to sign anywhere before January, but the markets for Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon should move faster than expected.

Boras controls a significant chunk of the high-end free agent market this winter. He represents Cole, Rendon, Strasburg, Hyun-jin Ryu and Dallas Keuchel. He is notorious for his deliberate pace, and often keeps his clients on the market deep into the new year.

This does appear to be the plan with Cole, according to teams who have spoken to Boras, but not so much with Strasburg. The Nationals are already trying to bring Strasburg back, and the Padres and other clubs are expected to be interested.

Boras declined comment, saying he will address the media on Wednesday.

#985 J.R., Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

The Astros are not waiting around until January for Cole to squeeze every single penny from some team. Boras is trying to get a couple of teams strung out bidding to the point that their entire off season hinges on getting Cole..... that causes teams to over pay.

The Astros already have spoken to the agents for Wheeler, Stroop and the Mets and Blue Jays about Lugo and Gurriel.

I cannot see the Yankees going to 300 million either, so that leaves the Angels and teams in the NL for the most part.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

300 million? Nah bro.

8. SemisolidSnake

Because I rarely pay attention to the money side of sports, I did not realize that Scott Boras is Cole's agent. Knowing that, this thread seems moot, cause ain't no way the Astros are paying Boras prices for Cole.

Now I'm torn between where I'd want him to go. If he went to the Angels, he'd make our lives a living hell being in our division. But it might be good for Astros' batters to get some regular practice against the top pitcher in the league. Plus, Cole would be happy getting to play for his childhood team in his home state, and taking on a contract like that would almost guarantee that the Angels would continue to never be a threat to anyone.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know players have been angry about teams not giving out as large of contracts as they want, but it could get worse if more teams did not wait around until January. I think bargain hunting is fine for teams in January, but having 200+ million in money tied to one player you may or may not get (and doubtfully get at a good price) when other players are signing is not smart for teams.

raining threes and jklb like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I agree it isn't smart for teams and it only works from the agents perspective if you can get teams so invested because the player they are pursuing is so important. The teams that can afford to wait are either teams with huge finances (Yankees) or teams that are so bad that it isn't the end of the world if they fail to get Cole (Rangers or Padres).

It used to be bargain hunting was at the close of free agency, but it is a lot more complicated now. I know the Astros intend on being aggressive. It is possible based on last year, the bargains are fairly early in free agency with players wanting to get their guaranteed money as soon as possible. That doesn't necessarily fit Zack Wheeler but it does fit a lot of players including relievers and veteran bats and pitchers with a checkered past.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d be pretty comfortable betting on Cole to sign with the Angels or Phillies. Both desperately need to add an ace to complement the $300M hitter they have. Giants, Dodgers, and Yankees would be my darkhorses. I’ll be surprised if Strasburg doesn’t resign with the Nats. Rendon will go to the Nationals or Rangers, with the Braves as a darkhorse for him.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Giants are an interesting name for Cole since it seems like they don't have Bumgarner as a priority, but i wonder if would make sense for them to pay a player that much when the rest of the roster isn't exactly competitive.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Giants should have rebuilt 2 years ago. Now they don’t have a single returning player who put up 3+ fWAR in 2019. They have aging, declining, or slumping players at almost every position. Their farm is average or maybe a little better, but nothing about their Org status says they should sign Cole, unless they just expect a ton of improvement from their players across the board. With all that said, they haven’t indicated at all that they are going to rebuild, and they have the revenue to spend, so that’s why I think they’re a darkhorse.

desihooper and Vivi like this.
  14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Giants profile as a team that could hit the Espada-Cole-Maldy trifecta this off-season.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

I could see them trying to jumpstart their offense with a signing like Rendon, Osuna, or trading for Betts. If COL tears it down, I could see them going after Nolan too. I don’t think they’re a good fit for Cubs as far as trading goes, but who knows.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Boras: “If there were a Major League Christmas, there would be 30 stockings that all want a lump of Cole.”

Scott Boras: "I heard today that Gerrit Cole wasn't signing until January. I have no idea who said that or why. It's completely inaccurate."

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So February? March?

justtxyank likes this.
  19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The Gerrit Cole free agency bonanza must be what it was like to watch the Greg Maddux sweepstakes after his won his first Cy Young with Cubs before going to the Braves.

lw17 likes this.
  20. awc713

awc713 Member