1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you like 'Sheed and Snow...my summertime deal for Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GATER, Feb 11, 2004.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

This won't work in RealGM because RealGM is going to use current contracts. This works in the summer after Francis's BYC is removed.

Francis + Cato to PHI
    Iverson to ATL
    Snow to HOU
    Chris Crawford to HOU
    Rasheed SnT (assigned player exception) from $9.6m to $11.3m to HOU

The above players all fit within the assigned player exception guidelines. The following is the Rockets depth chart before the use of the MLE AND the trade exception.

2004-05 Rockets
    1) Eric Snow
    2) Cat Mobley / Pike
    3) Jim Jackson / Crawford / Nachbar
    4) Rasheed Wallace / Mo T / Spoon
    5) Yao Ming / Wallace

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Only two small problems -- Wallace said that Houston was appealing to him BECAUSE of SF. The other is that Wallace is now being cited as having said he wants the Knicks.

3. GATER

No...what he said was Francis AND Yao and you are heavily discounting his Philly friendship with Cuttino.

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

i would not trade Steve for Rasheed. Simple. I'm not sure i would even trade Cato for a pg that cant shoot the 3 ball. Face it, in the inside outside offense, u cant have players that cant shoot the 3 ball. Its a lot of talent, yes. But i'm not sure if its the right mix. I like the other deals of Ray Allen and Zach Randolph better....

5. GATER

And the Knicks are offering what that ATL wants?

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I like your thinking, but I think that Philly could probably get alot more than Francis and Cato for AI and Snow.

7. GATER

You want players with range for an inside out game and you prefer Zach Randolph? There's a prime example of a one dimensional player. Randolph's passing skills make Taylor look like Bob Cousy.

8. GATER

I'm game. They make $19.5m. Gimme an offer that makes more sense.

9. HeyDude

Yet he averages 2.3 assists a game.....isnt that double what Yao averages? BTW, Raheed's carreer average is 1.9 assists a game. And in his BEST year, Wallace averaged 19, 8, 1.9. I'm interested in Randolph cause he is averaging 21, 11, 2.3 and his only 22 :eek:

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I think the Rockets can definitely get more for Francis and Cato than just Snow and Crawford. I know Rasheed is technically part of the deal, too, but more than likely, Atlanta will let him walk for nothing, anyway, just to clear cap room. If anything, we could throw in a second round pick to facilitate the SnT (is that even allowed under the CBA?).

Otherwise, I like your thinking. Bringing in Snow and Wallace would be rather nice.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

If T-Mac wants out of Orlando, I could see a T-Mac for AI swap, if Snow is included, maybe the T-Mac/Howard for AI/Snow. To me that's definitly more appealing to the Sixers.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'm sold on it. I think a Wallace/Ming front court would be awesome in the West. I wish Francis could be our guy...but I am having more and more doubts that he can co-exsist with Yao on a JVG team.

Moving on from your trade.......
    Perhaps then you could use Mobley +T.E. to get a quality SF (and then move JJ to the SG position).
    Then you would use the MLE to add depth on the bench. Perhaps split it for two players or use it all on one really decent player.

You could have a line up like this:

1) Eric Snow / {MLE obtained player}
    2) Jim Jackson / Pike / A Griffin
    3) (whoever Mobley +T.E. gets us) / Nachbar {MLE obtained player}
    4) Rasheed Wallace / Mo Taylor / Spoon
    5) Yao Ming / Wallace

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

AI has a monster contract extension he just signed. He will be making big, big, money during his broken down years. Which will probably be sooner, rather than later, the way he plays.

14. GATER

I am assuming your assist numbers are correct without looking them up. Because I like Wallace, I watched a lot of POR games. A low opinion of Randolph's passing skills has been mentioned on more than one occassion by "Snapper" Smith. I doubt there's a disagreement about who has better range between Randolph and Wallace. Randolph may be young, but he has not yet shown a desire to get into really good physical condition. I'm not a big Zach fan...obviously, you are. :)

What advantage is there in two EC Lottery teams swapping their best players? IOW, if Iverson can't win with Snow, KT, Korver, & McKie in Philly, what logical reason is there that he could win with Snow and Gooden, DeClerq and Giricek?

15. Thanos

Thanos Member

I'm still holding judgement on Sheed. His stats this year are mediocre at best. Unless he comes up with a big second half, I'm not sure he's worth the hassle.

Even if he delivers after the all-star game, he will be playing for a contract, and his attitude certainly isn't the best.

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm sure I'll get cracked on the head for this, but what about:

Francis + Cato to Phoenix
    Marion + Jahidi White + Barbosa to Houston

Then, we sign Rasheed.

Lineup:
    Barbosa/M. Jackson?/Wilks?
    Mobley/Piatkowski/A. Griffin
    Marion/J. Jackson/Boki
    Wallace/Mo T/Weatherspoon
    Yao/White

Jahidi White's contract is up next year, making it a plus. Sure, I don't want to nicely fill Phoenix's lineup holes in one fell swoop, but I'll take the risk. Having Jackson and Mo T come off the bench would make for a great second unit.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont see why Phoenix would do it. Why would they want Francis if they had Marbury. I think they are building around Marion and Stoudamire. Those are (will) be their two max guys and will build around them.

However, on paper Marion, Wallace and Yao is a damn fine front line! ;)

18. HeyDude

I'm not a big Zach fan. I'm just not a big Wallace fan either. I think u r undermining Steve's value, thats all. Steve still makes our ship go. I would be willing to trade him ONLY if we get either a true young talent, or a veteran who is not only good, but is a good leader. I dont think Wallace fits the leader description. Ray Allen might. Zach could be that really good young talent....I'm not really sold on either of the 3 right now.

Besides, someone just pointed out that Atlanta will probably just let Wallace walk anyways, right? why not try to sign him up or try to clear cap space then? maby send Cato or Mo somewhere for caproom? dont need to send Steve anywhere for him. NEVER. And by watching the Portland games, dont u think Rasheed is a little inconsistant? Honest question actually, cause i only see his games on cable or againt the Rockets....just from what i've seen of Zach, i think he takes higher % shots, and is less scared of contact.:cool:

19. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Sheed was playing out of position to make room for Randolph. That's why his #'s are down. We don't want Randolph. There isn't enough room on the block for both he & Yao.

20. Raven

Raven Member

RW is an ass. Even worse than being an ass, he's an underachiever.

No thanks

SF for EB = dynasty

Raven