1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Les Alexander and Mark Cuban switched teams, would the Rockets be better?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 18, 2015.

?

Who would be a better owner for the Rockets?

1. Les Alexander

267 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Mark Cuban

209 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Equal

31 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fertitta > Les plus Cuban

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cuban seems a great owner besides meddling too much with personel.

What's the problem with his "the person" ?

roslolian likes this.
  3. jbasket

jbasket Member

you and tinny gotta both hold Ls for this Mavs disaster.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, it should be personality, not the person: Too much talking, too much control. But current Rocket owner are better than Cuban, and Les.

Houstunna likes this.
  5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

HaHa, we are on the same page on this one.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not anymore Les hired D'Antoni when no one else in the org or fan base wanted him.

DD

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Likely Les already decided to sell the team during the hiring. D'Antoni runs a high score offense, so the team market value can be higher, and D'Antoni did not ask a high salary since he was not a hot candidate, so Les can save bit of money. Finally, Les sold the team before paying the max salary to CP3. Everything seemed to be planned perfectly.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I mostly like his personality, but with this new scandal, "the person" takes a hit.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Cuban as an owner is overrated.

He gave Dampier Nash's money, and Nash won two consecutive MVP and beat the Mavs in the playoffs. After 2011 championship season, Dirk still had lot left in the tank, and they had a great coach, Cuban just can't built the team properly and wasted all Dirk's left years.

Cuban is very enthusiastic about basketball, there is no doubt about it. But as a team, Mavs underachieved with two top 30 all time greats in the team, exactly because of Cuban's bad decisions.

napalm06, Daddy Long Legs and D-rock like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

You didn’t know the Mavericks before Cuban.
    He upgraded everything.

Before them Rockets fans didn’t even consider the Mavericks as rivals . They were a bottom dweller

RasaqBoi and roslolian like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Regardless whether his plan was to make money or not it still worked out for the Rockets and made them better. Les Alexander also hired Morey who gave the Rockets James Harden, if Morey didn't do the "kick the can" approach you think Rox will get Harden?

Also, the Rox are the 4rth most profitable team in the league. You think Alexander will sell the team just so he won't pay for Cp3's salary? If he wanted money how about not sign Cp3 in the first place, keep the team and keep the $$$ rolling in? Just stop being dumb.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree Cuban is a great owner. If Les Alexander fired Morey prior to hiring MDA I bet Cuban would have pirated him away.

14. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

But I credit that more to Dirk than Cuban.

The team Cuban took over already had Dirk, Nash and Finely, that's two emerging all time great super stars and an all star. How many players are there in the history of NBA that contributes to one franchise more than Dirk does to the Mavs? Jordan, Russell, Bird, Magic, Duncan, Hakeem, Kobe, possibly Logo, you can make a case for Karl Malone, but he didn't bring a Championship.

So with a top 10 all time franchise player, and a two time MVP winner(there are only 13 of them in NBA history) to begin with, Cuban only won 1 championship. Letting Nash go because of Dampier is still one of the dumbest moves ever. Cuban is very much like the Thunder executives, overall they are good, but one disastrous bad move cost them a dynasty.

Kam likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Dirk didn’t upgrade the locker rooms, the amenities, the food or the arena or the private jets

16. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

But players go out to play, win the games and win the fans. Mavs become a good franchise because they had good success in the last twenty years, not because they had better amenities. Mavs become Rockets' rival because they can compete with the Rockets, not because their food is better.

I agree that Cuban is a good owner on the business side, but as far as building an NBA team to win, he is not. Take a look at how bad Mavs has been over the past few years after Dirk's prime, it's not like Dirk is taking Kobe-Like money(he well deserve it) so the team has no cap room to sign quality players. Instead Dirk has been earning minimum money, but Cuban failed to give him any support.

Kam likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Look I know you don't want to give any credit to Mark Cuban or you don't even remember how bad the state of the Mavericks was.

I don't really know how you are trying to convince someone who was a Rockets fan in the 80s about this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-mark-cuban-turned-around-dallas-mavericks-2015-4

How Mark Cuban turned the Dallas Mavericks franchise around by treating it like a startup

When Mark Cuban became the majority owner of the Dallas Mavericks in 2000, the team hadn't had a winning season in 10 years. And because the team was awful, fans weren't showing up to games.

It took Cuban until 2013 to make the Mavericks profitable, but since he took over, the Mavs have made the playoffs all but one year since 2001 and have sold out every game since December 15, 2001, for the longest sellout streak in American professional sports, according to Forbes. They won their first NBA championship in 2011.

18. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I appreciate you giving me this article, it's a good read. Again, I won't argue about any piece on the business side, as an investor, Cuban had great success purchasing Mavs. All I am saying is, the Mavs underachieved as a basketball team given what they had at the time Cuban became the majority owner. It's true that Mavs hadn't had a winning season in 10 years until 2000-2001, but that year, they were already a winning team before Cuban became the owner. That was Dirk's 3rd year and Nash's 5th year, they grew to be all star player and led the team to win.

If you just focus on Cuban's basketball operations, overall they were not that good. He let Nash go for free, he gave Dampier a big contract, he gave up Tyson Chandler after the championship year, and Tyson went to New York, became an all star and won DPOY, he traded for Lamar Odom, he traded for Rajon Rondo...

I think on the basketball side, he is only a little above average. Give Daral Morey 3rd year Dirk and 5th year Nash, he will definitely bring you more than one championship. It's like drafting Hakeem and Malone in 84 and 85, and only win 1 championship in 20 years, that's not good enough for their talent.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

The business end matters and the perception of the team matters.

When Les Alexander took over the Rockets, he inherited a legit contender and great fanbase and a great arena.

Cuban did not. The Rockets won the title his first year. No credit should be given to him for that.

20. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Of course they matters. Your're right about Cuban should get more credit for Mav's one title than Les should for Rocket's two titles. When I wrote down my first comment, I forgot this is a thread comparing Les and Cuban. People online are acting like Cuban is the best NBA team owner ever, I just want to disagree with that, Jerry Buss is better.

For the comparison between Cuban and Les, I definitely think Cuban is better. Actually IMO, Les wasn't even a good owner. He traded Hakeem because he didn't want to pay Hakeem 6M a year, David Robinson latter got paid 10M a year. He didn't get Yao and Tmac much help, and those two ended their career early. The only good decisions he made are:1. Hire Morey 2.Draft Yao 3. Trade for Clyde. That's too few because he owned the team for over 20 years.