1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ideas to Improve MLB

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, would you prefer to end the game in HR derby? Or loading the bases? Or any of that other stuff that gets talked about?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As long as you are for pitch clocks and keeping batters in the batter's box, I don't have an issue with this position.

3. Buck Turgidson

Bingo.

Why any baseball fan would want less baseball befuddles me.

Nook likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Missed this during the post World Series grief, but in case others have as well...Robo Umps headed to minor league ball next year. I'd guess within three years, they will be in the majors.

“Here’s our thinking on the automated strike zone: The technology exists. We have the technology,” Manfred said on MLB Now with Brian Kenny. “We’re actually going through a big upgrade of that piece of our technology during this offseason. I think we need to be ready to use an automated strike zone when the time is right. That’s why we experimented in the Atlantic League. It’s why we went to the Arizona Fall League. It’s why we’re using it in Minor League Baseball next year, in some ballparks at least.

https://theathletic.com/1344428/201...nor-league-baseball-in-2020-rob-manfred-says/

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Didn’t reddick get called out on strikes on a pitch 4 inches off the plate

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Reddick and dozens of others

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the dozens..they were mostly Nats as the Astros catchers are better at presenting pitches in and out of the zone than the Nats catchers.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't really follow baseball, but I tune in when the Astros are in the playoffs generally. But as an outsider, it absolutely blows my mind that baseball continues sticking with flawed umpires, when technology can make the situation so much better. The game seems very antiquated to me, and doesnt seem to care about "getting it right"

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Baseball has as many or more reviewable plays than the other major sports. Why isn't there an electronic buzzer on out of bounds (for example) in football and basketball? Why do you say baseball is antiquated compared to other sports?

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Baseball umpires are involved in every single pitch, they make a lot more calls than any other sport. I also feel like baseball calls are more black and white. A pitch is either in the strike zone or not, unlike interpretable plays in soccer or basketball. I often hear baseball fans talk about the charm of the human element which seems bonkers to me, that's what I view as old fashioned.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From what I can tell, MLB choose the wrong technology (radar over optical) a few years ago, and it has taken them a long time to work out the kinks to get system accurate and fast. MLB is switching tracking providers this year to an optical system.

SemisolidSnake and rhino17 like this.
  12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Do things with national baseball broadcasts:

1. Have 1 neutral play-by-play person, and invite one of each team's TV analyst crew to make a 3 -person crew.
    2. Overpay Kevin Harlan to announce baseball over Joe Buck, or hire Poppy Miller to replace Joe Buck.

RustyHarden and SemisolidSnake like this.
  13. AB423

AB423 Member

Cheerleaders dance between innings

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I think the Astros are one of the few baseball teams that does have "cheerleaders" and they're usually doing something between innings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Buck Turgidson

Do you watch the NBA and NFL?

16. SemisolidSnake

This is an absolutely great idea. These local guys are still pros. In fact they spend spend waaaay more time calling the game than these national guys. They're not going to do something stupid being in the same booth together. In fact they'll probably be respectful and complimentary to each other's teams while giving the national audience unique insight into their own team. Just need a good neutral play-by-play guy who's also halfway decent at engaging with the other two, and you're there. That person, as you've rightly noted, never will be Joe Buck.

RustyHarden likes this.
  17. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

How does a stodgy sport like tennis have replay about line calls for over a decade now on a ball that is going way faster than a baseball...and baseball can't get a robo ump for strike calls. It's crazy to me. We are going to look back at this in 25 years and think of it like the goal post being in the front of the end zone in football back in the day. What the hell took so long to make the change is going to be the thought.

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Tennis line calls are more black/white whereas strike zones have to be tailored to each individual player.[​IMG]

Mind you the tech is there (see Statcast), but I could see why they're taking so damn long for it.

And don't expect ****ty calls to go away either. NBA and NFL with all their fancy tech and instant replay still can't get it right.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure about red and yellow lines on this drawing (Is zone based on standing up straight or in a crouch?). The K zone box shows from knee to letters as if standing up and looks more like what is called.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yes