1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'd take Blake Griffin over everybody in the nba (except curry)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Nov 9, 2015.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

disagree. He still has the above-average NBA athleticism despite his injuries.

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'm not so sure anymore. There was a time when Blake was worthy of a max contract. Today, however, you can go cheap at the PF position with someone like Harrell and have him do a decent job of defending Blake. Griffin is shooting 41% this season - 10 percentage points below his career average. He has never been an outstanding rebounder, let alone defender overall. If I'm assembling a team, I just dont think Blake is worth the cap hit and cost relative to what I might be able to get elsewhere. Taj Gibson, Derrick Favors, Dario Saric, Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, the Morris's, and James Johnson are either more cost effective (without losing too much skill-wise) or possess greater upside. Serge, LMA, Millsap, Love, Porzingis, Green, Antetokounmpo, and Davis are all just better players than him.

fba34 likes this.
  3. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Are we shocked that a guy who spent his whole career with CP3 is now not good once CP3 left? CP3 has only played 3 games for us and two of those games were huge blowouts and a road win at Golden State.

RiceRockets and roslolian like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Amare averaged 25.3 when he was 28 years old. Griffin is currently averaging 22.8 at 28. They were both athletic and came back from major injuries to still be productive. Albeit not as athletic as they were in their early 20’s.

Amare dropped to 18 points per game the next year because I assume another injury. I could easily see that happen to Griffin also this year or next.

I feel like they mirror each other as much as any other players I could compare the two to. Perhaps there is a better example though.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I only disagreed because Amare developed his jumper because his athleticism was taken away from him because of his injuries. Amare could no longer PnR and dunk or dunk over someone for that matter. He was forced to PnR and shoot or shoot that ft jumper.

Blake can still PnR and dunk (Clippers don't do this at all) and dunk over people, his mid-range jumper has always been wet and developed when he had all his athleticism (Blake doesn't use the mid-range anymore).

So when you said, "Injuries took too much from Blake", I don't believe that. Blake, IMO, not as athletic, but not so un-athletic that he has to change his game to be productive like what happened to Amare.

I agree that Blake and Amare are comparable NBA players, but I kind of think the decline of Blake has been a choice. I think Blake is fine getting the money and being in Hollywood not being the best NBA player he can be

peleincubus and roslolian like this.
  6. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

the drop in fg% can be explained by higher volume of threes and loss of chris paul's setups

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. he definitely cant be your best player on a winning team. hes fine with that and just happy, hes collecting max money

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Griffin averaged 22.5 points on 50.6% shooting from the field as a rookie, before Paul got there. He's shooting 44% inside the arc and only 60% at the rim this year, both career lows. Unless you think he's somehow less talented at 28 than he was at 21, something is clearly wrong with him.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kardashian Kurse

lnchan and Swiss Roll like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I understand what you mean now. I was just saying that they seem to be on the same trajectory. Amare was still athletic at 28 the same age Griffin is now. You are in a way saying Griffin still is also but is playing subpar for some other reason. Here is Amare’s top 10 for that year, age 28.

ramotadab likes this.
  11. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Steven curry is a fake mvp. dude is trash. fact

12. BackdoorHarden

Would you take Chandler Pretty Boy Parson over Blake?

acsorelle4 and fba34 like this.
  13. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Nice bump, OP is gold lol

napalm06 likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

200.gif Anytime what makes a bold statement

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

16. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

unfortunate that pos isn't violently injured yet.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

clutchfans is 20% less fun without what

don grahamleone and RiceRockets like this.
  20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Griffin's games hasn't evolved whatsoever