1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want to get a motorcycle. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Oct 14, 2017.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You'll shoot your eye out.

2. body slam

body slam Member

To the op and all the motorcycle riders be safe. I used to date a PA that worked ER and trauma. Her words of wisdom for me were never own a motorcycle.

3. ling ling

ling ling Member

motorcycles are great. Just make sure to check 'organ donor' on your drivers license.

VooDooPope likes this.
  4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It’s cheaper to throw a toaster in your bathtub.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No one knows how they are going to die... unless they drive a motorcycle.

VooDooPope likes this.
  6. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

You know man, take the 2 day motorcycle class FIRST and then think about what kind of bike you want. I took the class in California and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it also gave me a deeper understanding of the dangers of motorcycles and how much of that danger is outside of your control. The instructors told us stories of their "near misses" - and it could be random things like birds flying into their helmets or cars not seeing them.

Suffice to say, I decided, eh, I'm good. Maybe I'll rent dirt bikes when I'm bored.

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Are you someone with patience, or someone who can accept someone's rage?!?!?!? If you have some anger issues, stay away from bikes. You can find a barely used bike, cheap. Once you get a Vespa, you will want an upgrade because you would enjoy the ride and may want to take on a faster role. One of the hazards of riding a bike is other people and road debris. At night, you may not see debris that can affect your ride. And there is a reason bikes have to a little faster than traffic, it is because if you stay within traffic other cars may not see you. It is safer to look have no cars on both sides of your bike which is why you see bikes ride a little faster. Don't be a squid!!!

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My thought is that it is quite dangerous. Have unfortunately seen too many accidents. A friend of mine was an emergency physician. Whenever the weather was good, he said he will see some organ donors today... :-(.

9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

They are fun for rural areas but I would not be caught on one in the city. I've been rear ended a few times in my trucks and that woulda been it for me on a motorcycle. Also every once and a while a motorcycle will zoom pass me and I will think "thank goodness I wasn't changing lanes".

OP if you are looking for an adrenaline rush get you a 4wheelet, grom, or utv and a little trailer and find fun and badass places to ride on the weekends!

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hone your skills, breh!

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I really want a Harley, once my house is paid off I’ll probably jump out and get one.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya........I am going to have to say no to this idea.

The federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2014, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 27 times the number in cars.

The rate for motorcycles is 72.34 per 100,000 registered motorcycles. Motorcycles also have a higher fatality rate per unit of distance traveled when compared with automobiles.

i will stick to triple digits mph in the sports car.

13. hvic

hvic Member

One of my buddies last year was hit on the freeway by a girl that was texting. She said she didn't see him and didnt stop until other drivers chased her down to pull over. He's lucky to be alive but shattered his femur, broke his collarbone, 5 ribs and a foot. I had to really push him in PT but he's almost fully recovered now.

VooDooPope likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When I was a teenager, several of my friends were getting motorcycles, partly because they're cheaper than cars. I really, really wanted one. Talked to my father about it and he said, "Absolutely not, not while you're living in this house, and I'll tell you why. I saw my best friend killed by a car running a stop sign. He was right in front of me and didn't have a chance. Had he been in my 4 wheel rolling piece of junk, he would have been fine. Just forget about it." I was ticked off, but listened and ended up with my own rolling piece of junk with 4 wheels, with Dad's help. A year or so later, a good friend was killed a couple of blocks away leaving a party I was at. A car ran a stop sign and nailed him. We heard the accident and went down the street to see what had happened. It wasn't pretty. After that? I lost interest.

Sajan and VooDooPope like this.
  15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My dad laid his motorcycle down on HWY 59 in the rain and screwed up his knee. Kept him from going to Vietnam.

I rode dirt bikes my whole life growing up and then have had numerous street bikes in my life. I've commuted in Houston and Austin ~100 miles a day, rain or shine, year around for a number of years... until I decided to call it quits.

I never had any accidents... but I had more close calls than I can tell you about. I had kids that I wanted to see grow up. They're mostly grown now so I've considered getting another bike but I bought a boat instead since I live on the lake. Much less likely to get rear ended or T-boned by a drunk/distracted driver in the off hours on Lake Travis.

There's some good advice in this thread already... skip the vespa, buy used, practice, the open road is better than the city, and fill out the organ donation part on your license. There's nothing better than the right motorcycle, on the right road, in the right conditions but it can be very dangerous and few who do it regularly get out unscathed.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, my friend who is an ER doctor told me "no" to me asking about us getting some bikes, haha. I love bikes and have decent amount of experience but it's the other crazies, especially in the city.. So no bike here either now

VooDooPope likes this.
  17. likestohypeguy

Whoa and your dad was the driver of the car that hit your friend, crazy.

18. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

I've had:
    broken femur
    shattered hip
    broken pelvic
    broken arms & wrists
    nearly severed ankle
    broken collarbone
    broken vertebrae (fused c3-c6)
    multiple internal injuries

Have always been hyper aware of my surroundings on the road. Can tell you the make & colour of every car around me & which drivers are looking at their mirrors. Still got phuked.

And yet...i ride.

I can control my bike. Others on the road (especially in cars), not so much.

VooDooPope and Sajan like this.