1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I want to get a motorcycle. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am not going to try to justify this purchase by pretending it will save me money on gas or cut down commute time because most likely I will only drive it around for fun (don't want to take it on the highway).

I am not sure which one to get. Some people said just get a 150cc Vespa ($6000)...while others said get a cafe racer type.
    I don't know how to drive a manual one but I figured I can take the two day motorcycle safety course.

I don't really want to spend too much on it (like over $10K is a no). Any thoughts? Opinions on what I should get?

2. likestohypeguy

I get the feeling you want to want a motorcycle, but don't really. And idk if vespa is going to completely fulfill your fun reasoning.

Probably think on this some more. Visualize the reality, how different crazy drivers, weather, loose gravel will seem. Those deeply grooved roads that are in between construction stages, that pull cars sideways.

3. Buck Turgidson

My cousin got a Kawasaki Vulcan last year (he does use it to commute from Granbury to the DFW airport when the weather's ok), it's a fun bike to ride.

4. GIGO

GIGO Member

^ This

5. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

I'd start with a with a used bike...something like a Kawasaki-Z or Suxuki-GSX. You won't care as much when you drop it & to truly learn to control your bike you'll need multiple drops (start with motocross is best, obviously).

If you're closer to 40yrs old & it's more an image thing (no offense)...Triumph Bonneville. Comfortable, dependable & cool without being obnoxious.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tri...E1_DWAhVK2IMKHRUfAogQ_AUICigB&biw=662&bih=689

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

A Vespa isn't a motorcycle.... :) seriously though you'd be safer with a real bike even if no highway driving. And honestly highway can be safer in some instances. For example in residential/city driving idiots run stops all the time or tail too close and it doesn't take much to be an organ donor. Just getting rear ended at 15 mph or less sucks and can be life changing... Don't get me wrong I love bikes, but thinking things are safe in city driving is a myth, especially with the traffic, obviously if highway is Congested it's bad too... Etc etc depending on situation.

Anyway the reason I recommend a real/faster bike is if you're in a dangerous situation, stupid driver not respecting you/tailing dangerous/not yielding etc etc, you might need to accelerate out of a bad situation, a Vespa isn't going to do that. And you can get a reasonable street bike for less than Vespa craze. I know you mentioned you can't drive manual, but just take a beginners motorcycle course or learning with a friend, it's really easy on a bike (maybe a weekend or less) and it's good skill to have, because it translates to understanding how manual cars work.

So, Vespa is no go, at least in my experience :)

Sorry on missing point on mc course, I highly recommend it. Also, the reason for real bike is if you decide to drive on the highway one day you can.

7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I believe this is a requirement in Texas.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Delivered in 30 mins or the organ is free.

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I second the recommendation to get a used bike. It's cheaper as a starter and you are likely to drop it at some point and you won't care as much when you do. Plus, you might want to upgrade or get a different style after riding for a while.

I also strongly second the recommendation to take the safety course. You will benefit *greatly* from getting the proper instruction for handling the bike and learning the rules of the road - plus you get an insurance discount and can skip the riding portion of the license test.

Also, wear all the safety gear. Yeah, it's not as fun or cool, but I dropped my bike once going maybe 5-10 miles an hour (slipped on gravel in a turn) and heard the crack of my helmet hitting the pavement. I didn't feel it, but sure as well would have if that was my skull! Plus, if you ever drop it at speed, you can turn your skin to hamburger w/o protection on your hands, arms and legs.

All that said... I love riding my motorcycle! It's a blast out on open, twisty country roads. I even commute on it when the weather is nice - get to take the HOV lane and avoid the kooks on the freeway. On that note, assume every car out there is a threat - drivers are inattentive (or worse) and you will be hard to see, so keep your head on a swivel and be ready to react to every car around you.

If you do get the bike, be safe and have fun!

Sajan likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

from personal experience, i'd get a vespa. it's simple, automatic, and comfy. that is unless you're going for the image, then get a Ducati or a ninja.

i go everywhere in a scooter, especially in a nice weather.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

What are you riding? I remember one time wrecking even off road when I was 16.. So many years ago but decent size Enduro , and helmet for sure saved my life from head/neck injury with the way I fell, so def agree on gear. I miss riding, every once in awhile I think about getting one... I probably will eventually :)

13. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Yamaha VStar 650. It's a pretty lightweight cruiser - it looks heavier and more bad ass than it really is. :D

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm no motorcycle guy, but when you say you want to get a motorcycle to ride for fun, but then say a Vespa and don't want to ride it on highways, I dunno. I'd be scared to ride it in city traffic for the usual comments about 2-wheeled coffin. My friends that do ride usually can't wait to get out into the country on twisty roads or on highways between cities/open roads. I'm not sure how much fun riding around town in stop-and-go traffic is, but I'll leave that to riders to answer. Good luck!

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Get a grom. I have one and use it for fun on the weekends and drive it to the gym and **** like that

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2015-honda-grom-125cc-clean/6335667870.html

Don't have little kids laught at you driving around a Vespa. At least get a Honda Ruckus lol

Sajan likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I agree with your friends :) forget traffic and city driving.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice bike, man! Yeah I think it's definitely pretty cool looking. If I get back into riding it'll probably be something like this. I wanted a sports bike at one point but I think a cruiser style would be perfect.

No vespa here :) definitely 600cc min for me

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Motorcycles have always scared me.

Be safe with whatever you do.

AroundTheWorld and Sajan like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I have made a lot of money off idiots driving motorcycles. Even the most minor of accidents often result if painful life long injuries or death.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member

I want a motorcycle too... always had an affinity for aprilia

[​IMG]