1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think Romeo is done

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true, they were getting killed towards the end of the season, but more often than not the defense was still playing better than the offense. BOB's offense is just the worst.

2. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

3. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

So much for young blood.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think he will be fired. I also don't know if he SHOULD be fired. I didn't hear many people complaining when we won like nine straight. At the end of this season weren't we forced to play some scrubs off the street?

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I gave him credit for 9 straight but continued to state that we won’t win in the playoffs if he continued to play not to lose. We had absolutely no chance yesterday. The entire coaching staff and players didn’t come out ready to play yesterday. Something that’s been a reoccurring theme with BOB.

payaso, juanm34 and rockets94-95 like this.
  7. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

I’m on the fence but I guess I can take one more year with these coaches and see how much hints will be after this draft with our new gm but we really do need a real OC. Bill has to give those duties up

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Head Coaches always extends themselves by sacrificing the assistant coaches

Rocket River

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Especially the all pro OL and CBs. Man, they were so effing lazy they did not even get off the side lines.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What would the Colts do if they need a late score against the Texans?
    Keep throwing at Shareece Wright. Force the Texans to double team to help Wright every play and leave their other CB on an island.

11. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

Defense was actually half way decent Saturday. Only gave up 21 points. If Watt didn't jump offsides, the 1st TD by the Colts wouldn't have happened on the first drive. Now it's only 14 points. Keep Romeo, hire an OC

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was at the game, and have not had the stomach to watch the recording yet. Wasn't the play clock at 0 on the Watt offsides?! Sure looked like it, even when they showed the replay!!

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It was, technically - but the snap was during that dead space between 0 and a flag where they usually don't call it.

But that was a gigantic play because they had them STOPPED.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Colts were perfect on 3rd down into the 2nd half. That's unacceptable. The defense eventually showed up but they were still giving away chunks of yards and time on the clock.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What'd you think about the first third down conversion of the game? I doubt it would have been reversed, but it sure looked to me that HIlton didn't have full control of the ball until he was pushed back short of the first down?

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean I guess he's asked a question, he has to answer.

That said, I feel like the most telling thing about this is the comfort of the coaching staff in general. B'Ob speaking as if his job is 100% secured (as it is I'm sure, lol) talking about how his DC's job is 100% secure and only on his decision (as it maybe should be?? not sure, Romeo is "ok", imo... maybe hard to upgrade meaningfully...)

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If anybody was watching the actual game thinks the defense played "well", we have a different standard of what is good and what is not.

The defense couldn't get pressure, had too many penalties, gave up nearly every 3rd down (regardless of distance), and at no point looked dominant. To add to it, they gave up one of the biggest rushing games all year.

Sure, the colts didn't score after halftime... but they had noticeably changed their approach to more of a run clock/don't make mistakes. If they "had" to score, I'm not sure the defense could have done anything about it.

The offense can largely be improved with a better O-line. The defense needs more consistent pass rushing and/or more depth.... but they did have a front of Watt/Clowney/Merciless that was just dominated. You can't really "improve" the personnel there... which makes me wonder about whether they just need a new scheme (or a new vision to try and put them all together so they complement each other).

whag00, desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

They need better corners so they can send more pressure.

They also need to figure out what they are going to do with 59 and 90.

Whitney is out of position on this defense.

One needs to go and I hope they shop one of them(assuming they franchise Clowney).

JJ Watt would have had 20 plus sacks this year if there was decent corner play on the roster. Teams know that there receivers can get huge separation immediately against the Texans soft zone.

Romeo's current scheme is fantastic with good corners and still is with bad ones against average QB's who will turn the ball over.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But the whole point of having elite hell raisers at the line is that you hopefully don't need to send a bunch of extra guys to make the QB feel uncomfortable.

You could have prime Deion/Revis/Ronnie Lott out in that secondary... if you give any good QB more than 4-5 seconds to drop back and survey the coverage, he's going to be able to find guys.

I see just as much of an impact, pass-rushing wise, with better schemes... even if you don't have elite pass-rushing talent. I think the line's talent is evident in its ability to defend the rush (which is more simply about beating your blocker off the line in typical one-on-one matchups), but they were well schemed against for teams looking to pass.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't disagree with any of that. From a scheme perspective, I wonder if they'll bump JJ inside more next year? Seems like they left him outside (almost exclusively) this year. Probably didn't want him to be around more bodies coming off the injuries, but it seems he rushed almost exclusively from the edge and from the "wide 9" a lot. Health permitting, I'd like to see him inside on passing downs with OLBs rushing off the edge.