1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I predict...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Jun 14, 2007.

1. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

I predict that Artest will be a Rocket before draft night. The rumor will come true. Sura + Snyder + VSpan + #26 = Artest. He will be our starting PF and split time with Bonzi and TMac as backup SF. Bonzi will return (Morey sounded optimistic in SR610 interview) and we will retain the newly acquired Reed. We then pick up a banger PF/C with all or part of the MLE.

Alston / James / Lucas
    TMac / Bonzi / Head
    Battier / (Bonzi/Artest/TMac) / Novak
    Artest / Hayes / (MLE PF/C) / Reed
    Yao / Deke / (MLE PF/C)

I'm not sure about all of this, but I will stick my neck out on the Artest prediction.

Ron Artest will be a Rocket before draft night. Book it.

2. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

i wish it was jon lucas and not vspan

3. tshay

tshay Contributing Member

If that is true, then the Rockets have as much talent as anyone in the league. They will still be predicted to finish behind the Spurs, Mavs, Suns and the Jazz but I wouldn't feel outgunned.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You are dualy noted, I think you're smoking crack tho.

5. huynhct

huynhct Member

how defensively sound does that roster look, i love it

6. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I rather not have Bonzi on our team. He doesn't deserve to be a Rocket after last season. I hope we trade him for someone good (which I doubt since he seems to have a good relationship with RA). But if he does stay, he's gonna have to grow up and impress me to win me back over.

7. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Dude I so badly hope you are right we need Artest's talent to become a championship threat.

8. roooshi

roooshi Member

i really do love this idea and the defense piece that we will be adding, but sadly i wont believe it until i see it.

Artest would be the perfect addition thou esp with james here. We will have 4 player who can score on their own and then battier as a defender. James and alston sharing mins as distributer and scorer, sounds awesome.

9. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

How the heck do we keep Bonzi AND the MLE?

10. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

does that trade work salary wise?

if we get to keep battier through all of this, that would be amazing.

11. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Bonzi has a player's option for this year on his contract with us. Again, Morey said he was optimistic about Bonzi returning and that he was in better shape in his SR610 interview. He could take this opportunity to play with a coach he likes and raise his stock for a good raise on what will most likely be the last contract of his career.

12. ham

ham Member

It's possible that he will choose to return for another year. He has an option for next season, and Jonathan Feigen said in his blog (in the comments) that he thinks it's likely Bonzi will come back.

13. Nelly

Isn't Bonzi almost 31? I dont know, to me it seems like he'll be Sprewelled, as in holding out for a bigger contract but no one wants to sign him.

14. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Sura = $3,840,000 +
    Spanoulis = $1,944,000 +
    Snyder = $2,358,432 +
    = $8,142,432

Artest = $7,800,000

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yes it does.

16. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

He didn't let that happen last year when he signed with us, so I think he wants to play no matter what. Mike James is 32 and still has 3 years left on his deal. I bet if he plays well next year he could get the full MLE for 4 years. That would put him at 36 at the end of the deal. That is certainly not an ideal FA scenario for a team, but a viable one.

17. Nelly

Well I hope he stays. Are there any other teams out there interested in him and willing to give him more money than us?

18. dividend

dividend Member

I know Artest is very strong, but can he play PF for extended periods of time? Remember at the beginning of last season, Shane was supposed to be our answer at the 4? We scrapped that idea after the first game of the season...

19. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

I haven't heard anything, but he has until the 25th to decide if he wants to stay with us or not. I believe the free agent signing period starts in the first or second week of July. I don't think anyone will give him a multi-year MLE deal at this point. Stranger things have happened when teams get desperate though. His best option might be to stay with us, produce (especially on the playoff stage), and be a good citizen. For him it's probably something like "do I want to sign a deal now for $12-15M total and possibly not get another one or do I want to gamble and go for a $25M next year".

20. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Artest is 6'7" 260lbs with a very strong base for holding position. In comparison Carlos Boozer is 6'9" 266lbs. Tim Duncan is 6'11" 260lbs. Kevin Garnett is 6'11" 253lbs. Elton Brand is 6'8" 254lbs. Dirk Nowitzki is 7'0" 245lbs. Chris Bosh is 6'10" 230lbs. Jermaine O'Neal is 6'11" 260lbs. Rasheed Wallace is 6'11" 230lbs.

I think he can hold his own, especially considering his overall defensive prowess.