1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I like Carl Landry, but....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Feb 26, 2009.

1. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

I like Carl Landry, but I think that his being out the last 4 games might have something to do with us holding opponents to such low scores. Scola provides adequate defense along with great offense, and Hayes provides great defense that disrupts most front lines. I think Scola and Landry are a little bit redundant, and we would be better off with a taller, longer version of Chuck Hayes in his absence. Even with Hayes in place of Landry I think we are better. Of course I like to have a capable player like Landry for depth, but I like what we are doing here with defense during the streak and don't want to mess that up with his return. Thoughts?

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think the big reason is everyone is getting used to their roles.

And T-mac being out helps our defense.

3. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

Look, you don't want Yao to play 40 minutes every night. That's why you need Landry to come off the bench.

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

You bring up an interesting point. I think there's a small sample size of games to make a concrete conclusion, but we will see. I am interested to see Lowry and Landry on the floor together. I think they'll compliment each other well.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's a home winning streak. Let's not overstate things.

Landry gave us a huge boost last year, and he was a big part of our 22 game win streak. The defense won't be as solid with him instead of Chuck, but he's a great finisher and he'll make us better offensive team. I think Lowry and Landry can be a dynamite combination for us.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah, I was ok with Yao playing 37 minutes against Portland and 38 against Cleveland, but plz plz Adelman put Dikembe in there a bit against our next few opponents that should not pose as much of a challenge (@Chi, @Min, Tor).

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

huh...sub .500 teams on the road.

recipe for disaster?

8. kkkpopov

kkkpopov Member

T-mac+landry for a PG and a first round draft

9. Spacemoth

Whoops I got that wrong. He played 30 against Portland, but 39 against Dallas the previous game. I got the premise right though--Yao's been playing heavy minutes against better competition, but still been keeping his time ~30-33 against all the others.

I haven't noticed Yao being fatigued at the end of games so far this year. Credit Adelman for not making Yao show on the pick-n-roll and not making him work too hard in practices.

10. ebu

ebu Member

Problem with Hayes is he can only play defense.

Landry can score and finish.
    Landry's Defense is worse compared to Hayes,
    but Landry spreads the offense out more.

Its more coming down to do you want offense or defense.

I feel he can play good enough defense and his offense is a big boost
    so i would stick to Landry

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This team needs Landry for the long haul. It's good the Rockets have picked it up without him but they need every weapon at their disposal.

12. Spacemoth

Only with T-Mac playing :).

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Giving Landry time allows Scola to move to the 5 and give Yao a rest, without him, its harder to use LUis as a backup center

14. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

/thread.

15. joesr

joesr Member

I think its a mix of the op statement and this

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's amazing how people are ready to dump a player after a small slump or if the team rallies together in the player's absence. People were ready to dump Wafer. Bottomline, we need Landry badly. How easily people forget injuries. Or players potentially wearing down from huge minutes. Or foul trouble. Or the extra boost a team gets on the road from being able to pull a guy like that off the bench.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i really like Landry, but he doesn't rebound like scola...before i liked how landry got us easy scores with his putbacks and dunks, but Scola's learning to get himself easy shots as the season goes along...chuck's D is above and beyond Scola's or landry's....Scola's jumper is also lookingbetter, he doesn't hesitate anymore and he's even making it farther out than he use to.....i think landry should be shopped, but not for a PG, instead for a long PF who can truly back up center.

18. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

When's he coming back anyways?

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think the same thing, Landry and Lowry are going to be dynamite together. With Lowry's ability to draw defenders while attacking the paint and Landry's ability to finish at the rim is going to tough for teams to defend.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

No disrespect, but you're crazy if you would rather have Chuck Hayes coming off the bench instead of Carl Landry. A long PF? That didn't seem to stop Landry from getting a clutch defensive stop in a key road playoff game last year.