1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I actually missed Houston Drivers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

In town for the weekend and driving in made me realize how much I missed drivers in Houston. Hauling-ass, no signaling lane-change mofos. So much better than DFW, with their barrier-wall of 10mph lower than the speed limit pack driving mentality.

2. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Actually I love Houston drivers, they are some of the more courteous and respectful drivers I have encountered. Miami, LA, NY, ughh I feel road rage just typing about it.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Houston is a cake-walk compared to LA.

I've driven through a lot of major cities and I much prefer Houston to DFW.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

In terms of traffic...

1. NYC
    2. LA
    3. Houston

We're pretty good for the amount of traffic we have. Drivers don't harass here in Houston.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Most people in the denver area appear high or drunk while driving. Everyone goes very slow and constantly drift from lane to lane without notice.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wait i am supposed to be driving in dallas next week

am I going to be pissed or be easy to spot with my LA tendencies?

7. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Agreed. I also find Houston drivers to be quite courteous. It always confuses me when people say Houston has bad (or the worse) drivers.

Not signaling is a general problem, but I like how everyone in Houston drives a decently fast pace.

These Austin mofos, however, drive a freakin snail's pace.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Traffic has been gravy ever since i10 became a monster freeway.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Signaling on the freeway is for suckers. If you signal too early, every car speeds up to not let you in. The key is to make your move, and as you do, immediately use the signal at the last second so you can make you lane change.

And whoever said the LA is worse comment, I couldn't agree more. Crazy

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agree 100%. Completely mystifies the DFW drivers.

Yoyo- It will piss you off. We can have a few at lunch. :)

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Too true... when I lived in Austin, I'd constantly be screaming at people on the freeway, "There's no one in front of you!! Why aren't you doing 80!" The thing I like the most about Houston traffic is that when people have an open lane, they floor it. Slower drivers tend to stay out of the way, which is cool. Dallas drivers aren't too bad in my experience, but a little slow sometimes. Rush hour in Austin was insane and the drivers drove me nuts. I couldn't stand that every bar had some ******* in a cowboy hat janglin' on a guitar, either, but that's another thread.

LA traffic was intense. Bumper-to-bumper traffic doing 80. NO margin for error. SUVs exiting from the fast lane. I was afraid to change the radio station.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

pansy i change stations, stations, eat and drink and talk on the phone (headset) all the time when driving...you adapt or you die out here

13. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

When I first moved out here I was scared.

And yes now I adapt and multitask while doing 80mph like second nature

14. BALLhog 247 365

best thing about LA is that speed isn't as strictly enforced as it is in texas...i miss driving in that place.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

So I was in Houston last weekend and noticed that people don't drive as fast as they used to on 59 (SW Freeway). I was only doing 75ish and blowing by people in the left lane. Have they started cracking down on speeding out there? I felt like I could have turned it up to 85 like in the old days, but didn't want to be the outlier.

16. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I lived in Dallas for 2 years and I go there about once every 4-6 weeks. Every time I get on 75 or 635, there are loads of cars going 50 miles in multiple lanes. Not sure why...

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I detest Dallas traffic. I've got family there and go up a few times a year, and hate it nearly every time. The biggest thing to me is how (a) everyone's going the same speed across all lanes and (b) everyone's so bunched up on one another that it's hell on earth if you need to change lanes.

Austin traffic blows because they have only 2 (3) real N-S corridors (in a city built to stretch N-S) that are always overwhelmed by the number of cars on the road.

San Antonio stinks because:
    -the original city planners threw a plate of spaghetti on a wall and based their highway system off of it
    -having to take exits to stay on I-10. WTF. Seriously. WTF.
    -the 47-mph junkers that pop up in any random lane (including the far left)

Houston's overwhelming for newbies (my buddy from VA aged 10 years when he drove on it this year), but it's fantastic once you know the rules of engagement, and what areas to avoid (Galleria 610, 45 North)

Yep, that is rule 1 in the Houston Traffic Bible.

I've noticed this too.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I had to commute from McKinney to Garland for 6 months.

**** 75 North.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

DFW isn't anything but loser Californicators and Floridians anyway. :grin: When their economies collapsed, those knuckleheads all came to Dallas. I swear in the last 5 years the traffic around here has sucked with everyone driving below the speed limit... what's up with that?

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, whatever! And when it sprinkles all hell breaks loose as everybody thinks their cars are going to fly off the road and slow from 80 to 40. lol. :)