1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about this year's draft class?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about this draft now?

1. F - Worst Draft Ever

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. D - Can any of these guys even play?

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. C - Will look great in a couple years but we needed starters now

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. C+ - Not super excited but in Gaine we trust I guess

34 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. B - Competition at all key positions, no complaints

46 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. B+ - Great job by the Texans, filled up holes with quality players

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. A - In Gaine we trust...again

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. A+ - 7 pro bowlers got drafted today

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya he said something to this effect originally that Texans would never come out and say it but this is what he heard.

Sure teams don’t disclose offers directly out of professional courtesy but offers that don’t go through get leaked out all the time. Whether true or not we’ll really never know but pretty credible folks like Woj, Rappenport, etc...report purported offers quite often.

#161 gucci888, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

On the chat, he didn't say he heard it. It was kinda funny actually. He said teams never discuss or reveal trade proposals that don't go through, and then he says the Texans didn't want to give up their third to move up on spot. John, how do you know this if the teams didn't tell you? lol

Not disagreeing with you there about leaks; just posted it about it's relevance to this particular trade proposal.

I personally think it is ridiculous for the Ravens to demand a 3rd to go down just one spot. They got a 4th and a 6th to move down 3 spots. Yes I know the Texans didn't have a fourth but it is still ridiculous to demand a 3rd to go down one spot.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's *literally* what you're advocating:
    Based on this quote - your quote - you believe the mere act of taking a chance on a player - never mind the results - is part of a winning formula. That's what you said. And that, I'm sorry, is pure bananas.

In terms of doing what contenders do... cool: contenders usually don't spend lavishly on free agents. The Eagles & Patriots bargain bin shop far more often and build/hoard draft capital. So, too, do the Seahawks. It's the non-contenders that throw money at players hoping they'll solve their issues - the Browns, the Jets...

Look at last year's playoff teams - how many were throwing Trent Brown-level money at free agents? A few.. the Ravens and Chiefs overpaid for safeties... But the vast majority made smaller, incremental moves, a lot like.... the Texans.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I heard him say it on 610 and he was definitive: the Ravens asked for a 3 and the Texans said no. He offered that nugget in the midst of making another point, so it was somewhat offhand - and Meltser stopped him and asked directly about what he'd said and McClain reiterated it confidently. It wasn't, I've heard, or Rumor is... It was declarative.

Makes perfect sense to me. Everyone and their grandmother knows that if the Texans can clean up their offensive line issues, they have a chance to make noise in the AFC. So why, if you also have designs about making noise in the AFC, would you help them unless it comes at a steep cost?

Htown Legend likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

He was asked specifically in the chat and he seemed "declarative" but also said teams didn't reveal the trade offers to him. I also heard it on the radio with Meltser and Seth Payne. It seemed more like a strong opinion than a report. The same way he said the Texans were not going to draft another tight end.
    So you're saying it would have made a lot more sense if the Texans hadn't gone into the draft with such an obvious need? That's what I've been saying. I think they made that mistake going into the draft. I still think a 3rd rounder is too much to just go down a spot. Especially if you know whatever player the Ravens want wasn't going to be picked by the Texans. But that's besides the point, Dillard was off the board at 1-23, nothing they could do about that. The question we will be asking is Tytus vs Ford, Risner, Greedy, Baker, Ya Sin, Murphy, etc.

6. raining threes

I think you need to go back and look at what the Eagles have done the last 5 years in fa.

While there look and see how many draft day trades they made

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/20/c...g-retirement-patrick-peterson-suspension-mmqb

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Seth Payne talks really bad about sharpings techniques. Says he’s 3 years away.

9. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

What are your thoughts on Teanna Trump? :eek:

vinsensual and RasaqBoi like this.
  10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lmao. Best head game n overall crazy. Legend.

Rasheed likes this.
  11. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Brittany Renner a beast also.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Needs to go into p*rn. She’s borderline there. Hopefully Trump can recruit lol.

Rasheed likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Technique was definitely a knock on him, but his production (albeit in the MAC) speaks for itself.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

What he lacks in technique, he makes up for in effort and relentlessness.

Roc Paint likes this.
  15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think the class is rounding out quite well

16. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

If Tytus Howard is not a contributor this year barring injury, that is a huge **** up. This will be compounded if Dillard becomes a regular for the Eagles.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

They didnt pass on Dillard. He wasnt available when it was their turn to pick. It will be really for bad if Cody Ford or Dalton Risner become stars for the Bills and Broncos respectively.

coachbadlee and red5rocket like this.
  18. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

No it, is still very very bad if Dillard becomes a starter. It's on the GM to anticipate the moves of other teams, and if Dillard truly was their guy, not foreseeing the Eagles move is just as bad as not picking the right guy. your thinking is like playing checkers while the other teams are playing chess.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Have to think the Ravens called the Texans after they talked to the Eagles trying to up the ante. Either Gaine thought they were bluffing or just thought the asking price (rumored to be a 3rd) was too high. Doesn't really matter at this point but it seems that Gaine was well aware the Eagles were a threat to make a move.

#179 gucci888, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Too much information we don't know about.
    -The eagles have two good starting tackles (though one is getting old), I don't think you should assume Texans could have predicted that trade.
    -Were the Ravens even interested in making a trade with the Texans?
    -If they were, were they asking too much?
    -Did the Texans make an offer to the Ravens that was denied?
    -Did the Eagles wait till the last minute to request the trade and not give the Texans enough time to counter?

You shouldn't penalize a GM for a trade he didn't make when we don't know exactly what the trade discussions were. There is the assumption that the Ravens wanted a 3rd (since the Texans didn't have a fourth) and that might be too much to give up a third just to move up one spot.