1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Houston vs. Whatever who cares

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonnyMost, Nov 15, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'll wait til Holgorsen starts getting guys who he actually wants. it was obvious this team as a whole was completely different than what he's used to. he made that known from even before the season started. well see what happens

airflights92 likes this.
  2. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

No excuse for Holgerson's performance and decisions he has had control over this year. He is too lazy to recruit so he redshirts average at best players to bring them back next year. What about this year? I put the dismal performance this year 100% on Holgerson. Unfortunately I think we are stuck with him. Again, as I have expressed before, he is not the type of individual I would want my child to play for. It is hard enough competing for talent. Unless he proves otherwise, at this point I would have to put Holgerson more in the annuls of ineptability of Levine and Applewhite. What were we thinking when we chose him as our head coach? I am convinced that with the players we have this year we would have already won several more games if they were led by Tom Herman rather than Holgerson. Coaching and leadership does make a difference. Holgerson IMO is lacking in both.

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I would trade Holgorsen for Herman in a heartbeat, but he’s been a head coach long enough to prove he’s not as inept as Levine or Applewhite. I guess I respect the boldness of the redshirting, since it’s at least a plan. Not seeing the same level of creativity in the game planning or play calling, though.

4. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Even if we beat Tulsa next week the best we can hope for this year is a record of 4-8. No way are we beating Navy. You have to go back nearly 20 years for that bad of a season for our football team. Even Tony Levine managed to win 5 games in his worst season. What Holgerson is doing as HC of our football team is not exactly inspiring a spike in recruiting and in filling up seats at TDECU Stadium. It's a shame a coach would rely on a loophole in redshirting rules as opposed to recruiting to put together their team. I guess as the title to this thread says,"who cares" until we start winning again.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't think he's "relying on redshirting instead of recruiting". He's simply min-maxing. No first year coach is going to be able to put together a great recruiting class, that just doesn't happen. I have my disagreements with what he did (ostensibly flushing this year down the toilet to backload talent) but I have no illusions he's doing this in lieu of recruiting. The truth is that if we make the conference championship (edit: no more divisions, thanks UConn!) or win 9+ games nobody will care what happened in 2019. Whether that can be accomplished largely depends on the strength of the conference next year.

Our 2020 schedule:

vs Rice
    @ Wazzou
    vs UNT
    @ BYU

@ Cinci
    vs Tulane
    vs Tulsa
    vs UCF
    @ Memphis
    @ Navy
    @ SMU
    vs USF

#25 DonnyMost, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  6. the shark

the shark Member

ARE YOU F'n SERIOUS????

F Tom Herman!!

I'm not going to get into all the **** he pulled and the countless lies he told while at UH and you're obviously CLUELESS on all of this or you wouldn't be saying you'd "trade Holgersen for him".

Tom Herman is a piece of **** who has NO IDEA what the word integrity means.

The door is closed on that chapter and GOOD RIDDANCE!!

Plowman likes this.
  7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Looks like other than Rice as a replacement win for Prairie View we can expect more of the same next year. That's the way I am going to look at it anyway. At this point I have seen nothing from Holgerson that makes me optimistic about our football team going forward. I am still going to watch and root for UH each week and hope that next year we end up 9-3 instead of 3-9 which is our most likely outcome for this year.

Going into this year I recall Holgerson mentioning how hard he had worked our team during the offseason. I got the impression they were going to be better conditioned and overall a better team than the year before. Instead I see a pattern of a team, with or without King, who basically competes and plays a decent game in the first half regardless of who they play, but in the second half almost every time plays like they are tired, outcoached, or out of gas.

I do not who is to blame for this but I do not see an easy way out of the mess we are in. If we see another 3-9 season next year I am sure heads are going to roll .

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We knew the defense was going to be bad before the season started since we lost the only 3 good players that were on the unit last year.

We didn't expect to lose our top 6 olineman, and I really didn't expect King to be as bad as he was coming back from injury and then to decide to redshirt.

You could see this year wasn't the cupcake last year was when it came to schedule so I said before the season that we could be better and win 6-7 and when the injury bug hit this season just went off the rails.

I think redshirting them was the right move because we weren't going to win **** even if we had some of those guys so bring them back and add the transfers and hopefully they make a step up next year and we are good again going forward.

This season really shows how bad we have been recruiting since Levine left.

9. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Quite frankly, I disagree. UH has never faced this many ranked opponents in a season under the previous coaches you mentioned. Our season opener was a prime time game against top 10 OU with Jalen Hurts at QB. We have nobody on defense and most of the offense is either red-shirted or injured.

Herman's inaugural year was a cakewalk except against Navy and Temple who were ranked and this was all with Levine's recruits + Chance Allen and some CC transfers. The Memphis game that season was an easy FG away from being a loss. Even the Peach Bowl (which I attended) was without FSU's starting QB. Herman got extremely lucky and he regressed to his mean the following season when we lost to Navy, SMU, and Memphis before he bolted for UT without saying anything but claiming he left the program better than it was before he joined.

Levine was a good recruiter.

Applewhite is the reason we are in this mess today. He should have never been the one chosen to replace Herman.

Poloshirtbandit and Pat like this.
  10. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

We will see. Hope you are right. So far, Holgerson is off to a terrible start. At some point it is going to be time to stop making excuses for him and look elsewhere for leadership to get the football program back on track again. I guess Herman must have been lucky as well when we beat Oklahoma with him as a head coach. I am still pissed at him for leaving us to go to Texas but no doubt about it he is a much better coach than Holgerson and his teams, regardless of talent level, seem more cohesive, more inspired, and better motivated.

I do agree with you 100% about Applewhite. We were in a good place when Herman left and we could have made a much better choice for his replacement.

ShutURBiG! likes this.
  11. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong. That was a quality win vs. Oklahoma and against No. 5 Louisville/Lamar Jackson as well. He was just very inconsistent. There were rumors that he ran his players to the ground with the rigorous practice regime he had implemented so fatigue may have been an issue.

I strongly feel that the Applewhite hire was an ego thing. They were tired of coaches leaving so they went with the safe route. Even the clauses they tied into his contract for not fulfilling all the years came off as being insecure with being a stepping stone.

The goal with Holgorsen is not for him to be good for 2 years and leave. We want him to leave a legacy as a consistent conference champion, regardless of what conference we are in. We have to allow him to build a program instead of a 2 year rental, like Kelvin Sampson for our basketball program. He has stated before the season that he wants to be here 10+ years and hopefully earn a statue on campus. Time will tell if he will accomplish that.

#31 ShutURBiG!, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DH is the right guy .....Great coach, great recruiter....Dedicated Coog..He's in for the long haul, and will get us there.

13. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I hope all of you that have more confidence in DH than I do, turn out to be correct. At the moment I am not on board. It's not like you can tank a season in order to get better draft picks to build a team up in years to come like you can in pro sports. This red shirting plan to bring back average players for next years team is going to take away scholarships to bring new talent to lead our team going forward. According to what I have read DH is supposed to be good at recruiting. You only have so many scholarships to hand out and unless I am misunderstanding something these redshirts are going to decrease the number of scholarships available to bring in new players.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Until the Football Coogs are in a Power 5 these ups and downs will continue. Basketball and the other sports, with much smaller rosters, can continue to compete at a national level.

15. Poloshirtbandit

Not defending him, but I think it's too early to give up on Dana. The difference in going from Levine to Herman and going from Major to Dana, Levine was at least an above average recruiter and had a few NFL quality players on defense. Not much to say about Major's recruiting classes. Dana was left with a bigger mess especially on defense.

If we're seeing the same level of play next year I'll be ready to move on, especially if King does come back.

ShutURBiG! likes this.