1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That is my hope as well. When D'onofrio was hired it was a desperation move because Applewhite was one of the last HC hires that year, and as such the assistant pool was already bone dry of candidates. Now Major will get a chance to pick from a much larger and more talented list of candidates. We really have to hit a homerun on this hire, because Briles will likely be walking soon.

2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I'm looking at it this way he has already replaced both coordinators in his 2yrs on the job, He's next if there needs to be another firing and the odds of us not winning more games is going up next year just because of the 2 P5 games and UCF being back on the schedule.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Good news, Briles is staying. When fulled loaded, his offense was unstoppable. Without all the injuries and paired with just an average defense, UH could have gone undefeated.

4. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Smart move on his part. Barring a small miracle I don't think Applewhite will be with the program past next year. He just lacks the leadership and temperament to succeed long term. They may even show him the door if he bricks another bowl game. I think he is either 0-2 or 0-3 so far in bowl games. That leaves the door open to Briles and a path to head coach here if he continues to excel as offensive coordinator.

I still have questions in regards to play calling with Briles. In the SMU game for instance, I recall running play up the middle over and over and over and over and getting stuffed ending in an embarrassing loss. Our QB and most of our receivers were healthy for that game and our defense sucked as usual but we should have scored enough points to beat SMU. Perhaps it was Applewhite calling all those running plays but whoever it was was just plain hardheaded and stupid. Briles offensive scheme has proven hard to stop as long as we keep the pressure on by passing the ball. SMU looked like Alabama against us in that game and they are not. They are just an average at best team that we should have hung at least 50 points on but we sputtered offensively throughout.

There has got to be somebody out there that is better than Applewhite and a better fit for our program. I don't know who it is but I hope the athletic director and the board of regents get busy and find that person. Perhaps that person ends up being Kendal Briles. Who knows.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I would honestly support ousting Applewhite for Briles, not gonna happen, but a boy can dream.

It's so rare for a coordinator to get permanently promoted to HC after his boss gets fired.

Tomstro and Nook like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Briles banking on King to have another monster season next year so he can get a bigger job.

Tomstro likes this.
  7. Poloshirtbandit

0-3. He coached the bowl game after Herman left.

8. solid

The SMU game still grates on my nerves. It is like UH goes to Dallas and forgets how to play football. Herman's last season, same thing.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

10. solid

That is a horrible match up for the Coogs who can't stop anybody on the ground. Army will likely blow us out.

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

12. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

They can't stop anyone's passing game either. I will be watching and hoping that they will put forth a better defensive effort since "No D" Donofrio is no longer heading up the defense. If U of H loses a fourth strait bowl game under Applewhite wondering if his job is safe. Maybe that is why Kendal Briles decided to stick around. I agree with you though this on paper anyway appears to be a tough matchup for the Cougars and they go into it having lost 3 or the last 4 games. I am not expecting much from the team in this one but I hope they come out with some attitude and win a bowl game for the first time in a while.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Bad matchup. No Ed Oliver (of course), Applewhite will definitely not have them prepared against a well coached Army team, injuries, this one will be tough to say the least.

14. Poloshirtbandit

Looks like Gibbs interviewed for DC. Hope he comes back.

Madmanmetz and solid like this.
  15. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Me too.

16. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Gibbs seems to be a decent choice. Anyone else being leaked on the list?

17. Poloshirtbandit

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

It is going to be a rocky off season for our coaching staff. I would rather be reading that Applewhite was applying for these positions. I thought when Briles turned down the coaching offer he got a couple of weeks ago and accepted a small pay raise to stay here as OC that he was staying in hopes of getting Applewhite's job. Sounds like Briles is looking for greener pastures and won't be here long.

20. Nook

Nook Member

He gone!

Seriously, just name him head coach.

Applewhite spends too much time porking trainers and ripping jackets off his star players backs to be an effective head coach.

Applewhite should be a high school coach at some suburb outside of Austin or something........ maybe do a radio call in show co-hosting with Philip Simms' son..... except he has the personality of a styrofoam cup.

In all seriousness this isn't going to end well.... you can mark it down with Derek Fisher coaching the Sparks and the Rockets "season".

J.R. likes this.