1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

“Do you like white girls? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players.”

Kendall Briles supposedly said this to a black recruit. I don’t know if he did or didn’t say it. I do know NCAA college football is corrupt and dirty.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Worst kept secret.

I wonder if Art is going to be watching on a small television under the stadium feeding Kendall plays.

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UH hires former Baylor assistants Kendal Briles, Randy Clements
    By Jenny Dial Creech and and Joseph Duarte, Houston Chronicle

Published 10:53 am, Saturday, January 6, 2018

The University of Houston announced Saturday the hiring of former Baylor football assistant coaches Kendal Briles and Randy Clements.

Briles - the son of Art Briles who was fired from Baylor amid a sexual assault scandal - will be the Cougars' associate head coach/offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Clements will serve as run game coordinator and offensive line coach.

"They have extensive knowledge of our program and its standards, and we know they will be the right fit," UH coach Major Applewhite said in a statement. "They have both been a part of some of the nation's top offenses with multiple programs and have shown the ability to learn and adapt while staying thoroughly tied into our state's landscape in terms of recruiting."

Briles spent last season working on the Lane Kiffin's staff at Florida Athletic, where the Owls ranked eight in scoring (40.6 points) and ninth in total offense (498.4 yards).

While Briles is heralded for his offensive innovations, he is a controversial hire for the Cougars.

Briles is named in a pending lawsuit - one of several Title IX civil suits filed against Baylor - that alleges Briles tried to attract recruits by saying female students at Baylor liked the players.
    "Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at BAYLOR and they LOVE football players," Briles told a Dallas area recruit, the lawsuit alleged.

Applewhite said UH vetted both coaches.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars...-Baylor-assistants-Kendal-Briles-12478489.php

"Do you like white women?"
    I guess we can only hope his game plans are as offensive as his recruiting pitch.
    Do you think this is a Applewhite hiring, or it was put on him. To me his comments seem bland.

#5384 Pat, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Is anyone going to even try to defend this? What are they thinking?

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

They're hoping that it works out the way it ended up working out at FAU. It made some waves when Kiffin brought him on, but when they started putting up points in bunches and blowing teams out, the focus shifting to their explosiveness on offense and Kiffin's Twitter account.

I'm not saying it's right (because I definitely don't think it's right), but UH and Applewhite are betting that winning football will drown out the detractors, and unfortunately, there's a high success rate with that strategy.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

8. sammy

9. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know the level of K. Briles involvement honestly, but it speaks to college football’s current landscape. I will also tell you a lot of those close to the football program think it is home run hire for UH.

Faint? No, not shocked (K. Briles has been vetted twice by UH now) because this staff wanted him a year ago too. Still am not happy about it. Somethings are bigger than football.

10. sammy

KB can the be the next HC. He’s a good hire

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

From a football perspective, this is a great hire. But I'd be pretty pissed if I were UH fan, I was pissed that Herman brought in a former assistant as a quality control coach. Really surprised Khator signed off on this.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah he is a very good OC and I wouldn’t be shocked if he is an OC at a top 10 program and then a successful HC. As for Khator; they have been trying to sell her on his for a year. All I have been told is they have had Briles vetted multiple times and they came up with very little that concerns them.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Shameful. Dark days for UH Football.

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I hope they lose every game from here to eternity.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

This move shows that 7 wins won't cut it at UH. They know the offense sucked and brought in the best guy to turn that around. I would think they did a big investigation before they made the hire or Dr Khator would never have allowed it.

Pat likes this.
  18. Poloshirtbandit

Same job title he had at FAU.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

We all need forgiveness. Can't people move on, change, improve?

20. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At FSU he was the assistant head coach.
    I tend to over-parse words, but to me assistant means there is a head coach and any assistants are there to assist him. A clear line of authority. Associate is a more level, or a shared position.

I like Jturbofuel's post above
    "This move shows that 7 wins won't cut it at UH. They know the offense sucked and brought in the best guy to turn that around. I would think they did a big investigation before they made the hire or Dr Khator would never have allowed it."
    Very pragmatic and takes a lot of the (over) reaction out of the situation, but acknowledges the disappointing first year of Applewhite and hints at potential steps for replacing him if things don't get better ... quick.

I really wonder who hired Briles. Was it Applewhite, or was this put on Applewhite? Applewhite's comments seem to be more in the tone of 'UH vetted him', then 'this is my guy'.